The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

The power grip on media has let them run the state with absolutely no governance visible on the ground.
When they saw things slipping, they jacked up intimidation tactics.
But public is seeing it all.

I just feel bad for hardworking folks of MH, especially of Mumbai, who have gone through many bad things but this will break them.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

I dunno how N95 will protect you from airborne viruses. You probably need a proper gas mask lol.

They are not saying the virus per se is airborne, they are saying the microdroplets are airborne. 

You can read the full paper here: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa939/5867798

The most common example stated is a micro droplet size of 5 microns, and a NIOSH certified N95 will filter till 0.3 microns, so N95 is the way to go. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

They are not saying the virus per se is airborne, they are saying the microdroplets are airborne. 

You can read the full paper here: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa939/5867798

The most common example stated is a micro droplet size of 5 microns, and a NIOSH certified N95 will filter till 0.3 microns, so N95 is the way to go. 

So what do I do, khareedun ya na kharedun N95? :fear:

17 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

That makes sense. I thought full airborne virus is something like a poisonous gas, except biological instead of chemical.

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

BTW, can it intrude from other cavity(s)?

Like Ears? :fear1:

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

That makes sense. I thought full airborne virus is something like a poisonous gas, except biological instead of chemical.

The virus itself will not be airborne as a single one. They are clumped together by droplets (aerosol particulates are considered as a form of transmission by air) of any body fluid from a person. Isolating a wild strain from the air is tough as hell. I would take what the WHO says with a pinch of salt.

In other words, the WHO is telling us what is already common knowledge, nothing new has been added.

As @Bird Bird Bird stated use N95 masks, preferably NIOSH. Be careful whilst wearing and removing them. Do what you can when outside to prevent cross contamination to objects you carry such as phone, car keys, etc.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa939/5867798?searchresult=1

The above letter (the two authors addressed the letter to numerous organisations, ~240) was picked by the large news outlets in the US. My opinion is that this statement by the WHO is in response to the negative news coverage it is currently receiving.

Mumps and measles are also airborne transmissions, mumps spreads by large droplets when you are in close contact with the infected person (cough, sneeze, spittle when talking, etc.) whereas measles spreads the same way, but, it can also form aerosol particles which linger in the air for a few hours. So, even if person did not have any close contact with a person infected with measles, if they enter a room a few hours after an infected person, they can still get infected.

The whole debate now is only regarding modifications to the terminology. It’s frankly stupid and does not contribute to the discussion about airborne infections.

@Bird Bird Bird Correct any errors in my statements.

Edited by silica
Adding link to the original Academic Article. The article is being debated within the epidemiology community.

5 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Don't buy one with a vent. It just harbors bacteria/virus.  I have been using something similar to the 2nd one you have listed. Works well for a few outings if you use a few in rotation. I don't think any of these should be washed, it will damage the layers.