The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

On 9/29/2020 at 10:20 AM, Right said:

Even if it is a capitalistic move, Businessmen like him don't deserve such bulldozing treatment from Govt.

Next time he won't take the risk, and others won't take risk, then Govt will have to import. And people will end up paying 50k for one shot, like they did for Remdesivir. Because stocks won’t be ever enough for country like ours.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/dont-agree-with-rs-80-000-crore-figure-for-covid-vaccine-distribution-centre-2302956?amp=1&akamai-rum=off

2 hours ago, Big Boss said:

Maharashtra guidelines released. Restaurants, bars etc to open with 50% capacity from 5th October. Metro, Cinema halls, schools, colleges to remain closed till 31st October.

curious how the restaurant walas are managing to pay staff/rent money by just takeaways :scratchchin:

17 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

curious how the restaurant walas are managing to pay staff/rent money by just takeaways :scratchchin:

All the restaurants are able to sustain only because they have deliveries/takeways.

This is not post-covid scenario, but from last 1.5-2 yrs.

A fine-dining rest near my house got shutdown last year, because the food they used to serve cannot be delivered. And there was cheap biriyani joint in the same building  which was doing super well. And after lockdown got over it has picked up once again. Many of rests in my area have no sitting place, just delivery and takeways. 

All the restaurants are able to sustain only because they have deliveries/takeways.
This is not post-covid scenario, but from last 1.5-2 yrs.

A fine-dining rest near my house got shutdown last year, because the food they used to serve cannot be delivered. And there was cheap biriyani joint in the same building  which was doing super well. And after lockdown got over it has picked up once again. Many of rests in my area have no sitting place, just delivery and takeways. 
Yes makes sense. Save on renting space. Swiggy and Zomato means you don't even have to worry about delivery boys.

Just hire cooks and you're done.

Only downside is swiggy and Zomato takes a cut. Just don't know how substantial it is?

13 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Only downside is swiggy and Zomato takes a cut. Just don't know how substantial it is?

It varies from rest to rest.

What I know (slightly outdated info from a rest), that Swiggy takes 145Rs per worth 1000Rs orders. it can be 2 deliveries or even 4.

Most of the promotions offers are absorbed by Swiggy/Zomato only, rests don't need to give discounts.

Over all, it is very good for rests because most of rests can never hit full operating capacity on weekdays.

BTW cooks are very very expensive. A friend wanted to start a Kebab Joint here, found a perfect chef, and salary that he accepted was 90k a  month.

Edited by Right

16 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Going out to eat is sadly one of those things you'll be getting nostalgic about, and this was going to happen here even without COVID.

Not true. Here in Delhi, restaurants and pubs used to be packed from Friday to Sunday. Places like kebab joints and dominos/burger king used to be packed on weekdays as well. 

Post covid, don't know how the scene will be. Don't know when we'll come out of this Chinese plague.

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Not true. Here in Delhi, restaurants and pubs used to be packed from Friday to Sunday. Places like kebab joints and dominos/burger king used to be packed on weekdays as well. 

Post covid, don't know how the scene will be. Don't know when we'll come out of this Chinese plague.

Yeah. Pre COVID, the street vendors never had it better (at least in Delhi/UP). 

Even now I see them springing back, at least on weekends. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

3 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Yeah. Pre COVID, the street vendors never had it better (at least in Delhi/UP). 

Even now I see them springing back, at least on weekends. 

2 minutes ago, adity said:

Yup in Mumbai, there used to hour long wait times at the good restaurants OK weekends.

We do have some gol gappa hawkers who have popped up again, but nobody is really eating there. I've only seen 1 or 2 construction labourers eating here and there.

Edited by playstationdude

1 minute ago, playstationdude said:

We do have some gol gappa hawkers who have popped up again, but nobody is really eating there. I've only seen 1 or 2 construction labourers eating here and there.

Haven't been to Lajpat/Central Market, CC etc, but these used to be major hubs for street food. 

Dolma aunty momos. :wub: