The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

1 minute ago, sobbii said:

Off topic but crazy scenes happening right now at us capitol building

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Lol Trump is a terrorist urging other terrorists to act. Enough OT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ph3N0M said:

Thanks for your detailed explanations. Just to make this more understandable for everyone, could you expand the following acronyms that I have been confused with on this thread lately?

CT Mode 

ICF

AE (after effects?)

PI (Principal Investigator?)

PMS

So, it seems overall the SII Astra-Zeneca vaccine seems more trustworthy than Covaxin so far? Any idea whether someone can know beforehand which vaccine they will get or will it be any of the two at random?

CT  = Clinical Trial. What is CT Mode ? I bet even Bharat Biotech does not know (Ella said the same in a recent interview). Acc. to Harshvardhan, Covaxin injections will be monitored as a CT, but seems BB is also surprised by this decision (since they need high preparedness if this is going to be a CT). Also, nobody calls anything in "CT Mode". :mellow:

ICF = Informed Consent Form. You need to know you are a part of a CT, what the vaccine/drug will do to your body, what are the potential side effects, what  are your rights throughout the trial, what compensation you are eligible to etc. ICF is a MUST before enrolling any volunteer in any CT. Ideally it has to be translated into local languages too since many trial volunteers might not understand English. Every trial is ethically overseen by an ethical committee, which is made up of healthcare professionals, lawyer(s) and 1 person from general population. The Ethical Committee can ideally audit the trial anytime and ask for ICF, CRF (Case record forms) etc and check if the trial is running by rules or not. 

AE = Adverse Events aka side effects.

PI = Principal Investigator. Overall responsible for conducting the trial, making sure the protocol is followed to the T, everything is recorded etc. 

PMS = Post Marketing Study/Trial aka Phase 4 study. More or less observational trial launched AFTER approval of a drug to monitor safety/AEs. 

From HV's statement, Covaxin is a "backup" plan, main is SII's candidate. But no idea which will be rolled out, and how the process will happen. I believe some people have started getting Covaxin already. 

6 hours ago, sobbii said:

Off topic but crazy scenes happening right now at us capitol building

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I just got up, and the NYT was blowing up. Went through the news quickly, and holy f**king hell - Capitol breached. :blink:

Trump's Twitter and FB suspended. :lol:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, playstationdude said:

No wonder Akhilesh doesnt want the vaccine yet. Ulta Pradesh no doubt, but this is gonna happen everywhere in the North thanks to greedy f**ks saving a few bucks

Yeah, same sh*t will happen across most North and NE states. Very low trust in govt maintaining cold chain. 

Edit: Not blaming the centre for this. It's the local bodies and people executing the vaccine drives who will f**k it up. 

Is anybody here from Varanasi ? I have a work colleague there and he told me some days back that no one wears any mask. If you wear a mask, everybody looks at you like a COVID patient, and don't serve you (say at shops etc.). He also stopped wearing masks in Varanasi. 

8 hours ago, Walker said:

I'm not surprised. I've seen enough of corners cut in my time dealing in PPE (different industry no doubt but the mentality is the same).

Same sh*t, man. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Honestly, we need better people running the country/states- retired Doctors, retired defence persons, etc. 

Educated people who want to make a difference will get lost in opposition politics and bureaucratic mess unfortunately. The masses are easily controlled. 

How many people want to really listen to and understand science, ground issues, country challenges etc ? All we want is a reality show masqueraded as news, religious zealots, stupid laws, dissing India and going to greener pastures. 

Everybody now knows VACCINE AA GAYI HAI, irrespective of whether it works or not, number of dosing needed etc. 

Anyway, https://m.thewire.in/article/government/watch-karan-thapar-gagandeep-kang-bharat-biotech-covaxin-astrazeneca-approval-covid/amp

Have to yet see it in full. 

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Honestly, we need better people running the country/states- retired Doctors, retired defence persons, etc. 

Frankly, at this point, it's useless. It will be the same whoever runs the country. Mentality of people has to change, the careless and "Chalta Hai" attitude has to be kicked out and people have to strive for the best for themselves and everyone. This cannot happen now. If we start inculcating the values now, it will stick maybe 2-3 generations down the line.

If we have professionals running the country as you say (Highly honest ones even) - then the bureaucrats under them will siphon off stuff and give wrong reporting. Honest Bureaucrats as well - Contractors under them will be corrupt. Honest Contractors - the local authorities/panchayats/village representatives will will be bad. This will go on and on and there are too many people to replace. Along with this - majority (rather almost everyone) in the country will have to be educated and be able to think for their own futures and not be swayed by free stuff etc. Mentality has to change and starting small with baby steps is the only permanent way to cure the problem IMO. 

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

So, I was scheduled for a surgery on 14th Dec. As a safety measure they did a covid check before the surgery and I was told I am +ive and to come back after 2 weeks if there are no symptoms. I was speechless and felt like someone had punched me in the gut with full force. Once I came back to senses few hours later, remembered they took blood sample for the test. Googled about it and could not figure out what test they have done. Checked with them next day and they told it was for covid antibody test. So, does it mean Corona came and went without me even noticing? Never had any symptom. I am a diabetic for more than 20 years now, with s**t immunity. Or it could be that the kit was faulty.

Its almost a month now and thank god no symptoms appeared. Had isolated myself in a room though because I have a 1&half year old kid.(this was the most difficult part...emotionally too :( ) and will continue to take the necessary precautions.

• Sad 6

27 minutes ago, Bauji said:

So, I was scheduled for a surgery on 14th Dec. As a safety measure they did a covid check before the surgery and I was told I am +ive and to come back after 2 weeks if there are no symptoms. I was speechless and felt like someone had punched me in the gut with full force. Once I came back to senses few hours later, remembered they took blood sample for the test. Googled about it and could not figure out what test they have done. Checked with them next day and they told it was for covid antibody test. So, does it mean Corona came and went without me even noticing? Never had any symptom. I am a diabetic for more than 20 years now, with s**t immunity. Or it could be that the kit was faulty.

Its almost a month now and thank god no symptoms appeared. Had isolated myself in a room though because I have a 1&half year old kid.(this was the most difficult part...emotionally too :( ) and will continue to take the necessary precautions.

Antibody tests are highly unreliable from what I have read, but there is a chance that corona came and went and you were completely asymptomatic.

6 hours ago, playstationdude said:

First we need people to stop the things which are sucking money, resources and making a mickey out of people from Years. Stagnated things needs to be resolved and moved forward only then other things can take precedence.

A Silent Educated person is good for nothing. We need a strong opposition as well to ask the right question not destroy Iphone factories and steal iphones :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bauji said:

Hoping on your case it is just a false positive as i too heard such results with Antibody tests. Take care man. 

To be on the safer side and get piece of mind, please see if you can get RT-PCR swab test done as well.(I thought they did this test as well for all who get antibody test as positive).

That would rule out you currently having it and can come out of isolation on doctor's advice. There should be many private labs offering home pick up for the same. 

3 hours ago, Bauji said:

You've to check which antibody test was done. 

IgM positive shows recent and active infection.

IgG positive shows infection has happened about 2 weeks ago, so you *might* not be sheding the virus now. 

If they did only total antibody, they need to check IgG levels. 

Rtpcr is still the gold standard. 

15 hours ago, Pacifier said:

That would rule out you currently having it and can come out of isolation on doctor's advice. 

The doctor was pretty chill about it :) Maybe because of seeing me in good health. He just told me to be in home quarantine and go to hospital immediately if any symptoms appear. As an additional measure I put myself in isolation away from my family. That ended on 28th Dec.

15 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

You've to check which antibody test was done. 

IgM positive shows recent and active infection.

IgG positive shows infection has happened about 2 weeks ago, so you *might* not be sheding the virus now. 

If they did only total antibody, they need to check IgG levels. 

Rtpcr is still the gold standard. 

Thanks for the details. Now that its almost 1 month since the test(was done on 14th dec) and there isnt any symptom whatsoever, should I still go for these tests? I am thinking there is a high chance it was a faulty kit.

1 hour ago, Bauji said:

Thanks for the details. Now that its almost 1 month since the test(was done on 14th dec) and there isnt any symptom whatsoever, should I still go for these tests? I am thinking there is a high chance it was a faulty kit.

For all practical purpose, you'll be negative if this was a month ago. 

You can still get an RTPCR done just to be sure. More about ensuring you're not shedding any particles and keeping others safe.