The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

9 hours ago, kunjanp said:

My parents actually don't meet any of the pre-existing condition criteria. I think I would need a doctor's prescription stating something like Hypertension for them to get vaccinated.

But seeing how shipments of vaccines are going unused, Govt. should open up vaccination for all. I mean, if elderlies aren't turning up then atleast get the others vaccinated.

How are you feeling after the shot?

J&J's vaccine seems pretty good because its trials were run more recently (when variants started coming up) and it's one shot.

I felt a bit tired the second day and somewhat more tired the third day (with soreness in legs and slight fever then). These were minor things though and I don't feel anything in that respect since then. 

Yeah, I really like J&J's vaccine because of their testing on variants and also because their volunteers apparently had a bigger ratio of people with pre-existing conditions. I had a choice to get Moderna's vaccine too if I waited a couple of days, but I chose to go ahead with J&J. 

Edited by Ph3N0M

22 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Maharashtra 18k out of total 28 k cases in India. Out of those 18k just Pune and Mumbai dist have 7500 to 8000 Cases. The ambulance movement like the one in september is back. Everytime I go out i see minimum two to three ambulances. Each and every time I kid you not. 

Pune and Mumbai needs a special vaccination policy at the earliest. Vaccination for anyone that has to go out of house otherwise such waves will keep on hitting us. Empirical data MAY suggest that previous hotspots are not the current hotspots but here we are with mumbai and pune posting even higher numbers. 

It reached 23k yesterday with Nagpur at 2698, Pune at 2612 and Mumbai at 2330.

Our society has cases in 10 apartments now and 3 buildings are going to be converted into containment zones for next 14 days. One of my friends in Pune who were going out on every weekend and even went for that Liam Neeson movie confirmed Covid positive yesterday. He lives with his parents :doh: What an absolute moron to endanger his parents.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Big Boss said:

It reached 23k yesterday with Nagpur at 2698, Pune at 2612 and Mumbai at 2330.

Our society has cases in 10 apartments now and 3 buildings are going to be converted into containment zones for next 14 days. One of my friends in Pune who were going out on every weekend and even went for that Liam Neeson movie confirmed Covid positive yesterday. He lives with his parents :doh: What an absolute moron to endanger his parents.

Govt never expected that the 2nd wave would be even worse for MH plus the cases kept falling. Everyone was relaxing and I still see people not even having a mask wrapped around their chin. I cant forget the scene on Valentine's day. The starbucks at Westend Mall Aundh was full and it is a compact one so people were less than 1 feet from each other. I couldnt help but compare our situation with Europe. 

The farm stir is going to wreak havoc in interior parts of punjab. 

24 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Nasbandi 2.0?

But how will antigen testing help?

Quarantine every person with a +ve result?

There will be hoards of people who have already recovered from COVID and now just test +ve for antigen and not PCR.

2 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

There will be hoards of people who have already recovered from COVID and now just test +ve for antigen and not PCR.

They'll get to know how many people have already developed antibodies. 
Based on the results they can decide what to do next.

If majority of people have already developed antibodies, we dont need to be worried much. 

1 minute ago, silentassassin said:

If majority of people have already developed antibodies, we dont need to be worried much. 

For that sero survey is needed. 

7 minutes ago, silentassassin said:

That is not how it works.

They already have tons of data to model the spread with great degree of accuracy.

And what if the person who tests positive in antigen actually is under influence of COVID at that point? Will they take the risk of letting such potential spreaders go away?

It is either quarantine everyone or no one.

This seems like a lazy and illogical effort to contain the spread currently. At max, this can only deter people from going out.

Edited by kunjanp

5 hours ago, radicaldude said:

Looks like the Chinese are testing a new vaccine on Pakistanis.

Spoiler - it failed. IMG_20210320_173937_580.jpg

A lot of people have tested positive after the 1st dose of other vaccines too. 

None of them have 100% efficacy, and hence it's expected. 

5 hours ago, kunjanp said:

they are talking about doing an antigen test... and not an antibody test..

Edited by hsk_colossus

It's ready bad in Maharashtra. Cases are increasing super fast. Lockdown in Nagpur extended till 31st. Daily 3500+ cases coming in Nagpur city and rural, despite having very less population compared to Mumbai and Pune. Pune also daily 3000 average, but no one cares because most patients are asymptomatic and are at home. But what if all these patients develop severe symptoms in next 5 days and require hospitalization? There was already news that oxygen supply is not sufficient in Maharashtra to support all current patients. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

35 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

they are talking about doing an antigen test... and not an antibody test..

I understand that. The rate of false +ve's are quite high for rapid antigen tests, especially in cases where the person is asymptomatic or does not have high levels of the virus.

In Mumbai, I would say 75-80% people I know (friends, family, co-workers) have had COVID. And at this point the way people have relaxed over the last month, the second wave was expected. Friends going out unmasked, even people who show up at offices or enter a place remove it as soon as they gain entry.

Honestly, people just aren’t afraid of Covid anymore; a friend who had his entire family test positive and quarantined, wife hospitalized for a few days, says the fear is overrated and is more annoyed about the cost and disruption. 
A better solution than random testing and lockdowns which most people don’t observe anyway and are against would be to strictly control crowded spaces, put entry limits in restaurants, mask education and fining. 

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumbai/mumbaivirus-hasnt-lost-sting-docs-say-looking-at-lung-damage-in-young/articleshow/81621657.cms#_ga=2.13436081.786795894.1616215873-amp-m_WUwnsb6xszxV8_cm7wj4zd3ZjzZZCbm24RcXB4k_GOTxJ1nLmgEOd08EFeoZrk

This is so f**ked up. My mom has fever since 4 days. No other symptoms. None of us stepped out or no one visited us. Only ordered groceries which we sanitize on arrival. Tomorrow I have scheduled Covid test to be safe. Hopefully it comes out negative.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Big Boss said:

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumbai/mumbaivirus-hasnt-lost-sting-docs-say-looking-at-lung-damage-in-young/articleshow/81621657.cms#_ga=2.13436081.786795894.1616215873-amp-m_WUwnsb6xszxV8_cm7wj4zd3ZjzZZCbm24RcXB4k_GOTxJ1nLmgEOd08EFeoZrk

This is so f**ked up. My mom has fever since 4 days. No other symptoms. None of us stepped out or no one visited us. Only ordered groceries which we sanitize on arrival. Tomorrow I have scheduled Covid test to be safe. Hopefully it comes out negative.

Good decision to get her tested... I hope it's negative. Say strong Brother. Try and buy a SPO2 meter from a medical store for the time being and keep a check on her SpO2 level. Even if the meter is not spot on accurate you'll still have a rough estimate.

Is her taste affected in any way? My Mom, when she had COVID last October along with fever had lost her appetite, didn't want to eat, felt remarkably weak (even chewing food was exhausting), and her SpO2 dropped below 88. She had a cough as well. That's when I decided to get her admitted to the Hospital.