The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

Just now, Banz said:

Even I had to go to office after September last year, and even do field work. I don't even think DA will be restored in July. They might extend freeze for 6 more months.

Sorry but what is DA?

Just now, Walker said:

Sorry but what is DA?

It is dearness allowance, which is changed (mostly increased) every 6 months to cover rising costs due to inflation. Govt. employees get only 3% salary raise every year so DA is the main source of pay growth.

DA is 17% since July 2019, as it has been frozen since January 2020. If we go by the CPI (consumer price inflation index) based on which DA is calculated, DA should have been 27% by now.

So it's a 4-8% salary cut every month for 18 months.

• Thanks 1

I got a call last evening. An old weak voice over the phone. It was my biological Father. The Father that abandoned me 26 years ago. Back then I was in school. I've grown up, gone through my entire formative years without a trace of him. I'm 38 now. My memories of him are less than a blur. From that point to where I am today... it's been a long, hard journey riddled with problems.

The call didn't last for too long.

He has COVID. He is almost 80 now.

I don't quite know how I feel. The arc of life and all it's strangest ways.

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

10 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

So government employees are sad about not getting a pay hike in the middle of a pandemic. :roflroll:

That's rich. 

We don't get massive salaries or pay hikes, even a promotion is 3% increment. You might change a job or get a promotion and get a 50% pay hike immediately. It'll take me 5-6 years of service to get that. As far as I'm concerned it is a pay cut, not a stoppage of a pay hike.

Mind you, I would have gladly foregone this money if govt. had used it to give benefits back to the people.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

So government employees are sad about not getting a pay hike in the middle of a pandemic. :roflroll:

That's rich. 

Even a clerk is a govt. employee.

Even a sanitation worker is a govt. employee.

Majority of the govt. employees don't get a salary even close to the private counterparts. They depend on this yearly hike to cope up with the inflation in the long run.

My parents are at comparatively high posts, so it doesn't affect us much but what about the people who have house mortgages and education fees to pay? All the loan which keeps accruing interest?

Even then, my mom is a professor in early childhood education, she has been working everyday since the pandemic began so that the children in the slums can keep getting their education.

She recharges the data pack of these children through her own salary, how much have you donated till now?

Who are you to question whether she deserves a hike or not?

Calling a govt. employee rich while sitting behind a screen is just callous and being butt-hurt.

None of us one raised eyebrows when people complained about the yearly hikes and pay in the private industry, so please keep such unasked opinions to your own self.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Right said:

It must be emotional roller-coaster evening dude.

I think it was his guilty wish to get to speak to you in these dark times.

You know I have been asked in the past how I feel towards him. It started with anger but that turned to a feeling of nothing towards him in the years that followed. You can't really rage against a shadow for too long. But yesterday when I took the call I couldn't speak for too long. Largely because I felt was choking somehow. The night was no different, left me like a wounded owl.

In any case, I'll offer him the help he needs if things come to such a situation. But besides that, I don't think I can careen myself towards him anymore. Been too long, the gap too wide.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

I got a call last evening. An old weak voice over the phone. It was my biological Father. The Father that abandoned me 26 years ago. Back then I was in school. I've grown up, gone through my entire formative years without a trace of him. I'm 38 now. My memories of him are less than a blur. From that point to where I am today... it's been a long, hard journey riddled with problems.

The call didn't last for too long.

He has COVID. He is almost 80 now.

I don't quite know how I feel. The arc of life and all it's strangest ways.

I am no one to tell this to you but if you can please do visit him once. Him calling you after all thses years may mean that he wants to see you and doesn't have the courage to say it. there must be many bad memories which may make you hesitant to visit him but if things go south you don't want to live with that guilt of not going there for all your life.

Again, I'm no one to advice you on this and kindly ignore if you want. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

You know I have been asked in the past how I feel towards him. It started with anger but that turned to a feeling of nothing towards him in the years that followed. You can't really rage against a shadow for too long. But yesterday when I took the call I couldn't speak for too long. Largely because I felt was choking somehow. The night was no different, left me like a wounded owl.

In any case, I'll offer him the help he needs if things come to such a situation. But besides that, I don't think I can careen myself towards him anymore. Been too long, the gap too wide.

I don't know your personal situation but as someone who counsels and talks to fathers who are not allowed to see their child or talk to their child, I would suggest to talk to him and reconcile, as he contacted toy after so many years means he always had you in his heart but never had courage or the circumstances or the had too much ego to contact you before. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Ok. Lot of private sector people got pay cuts and no increments. Complaining about a 6-7% hike in salary when people are dying all around comes off as whiny. 

Expecting a salary hike in the middle of a huge economic crisis is anyways expecting too much but this is not the place to discuss this.

Yes, lot of the private sector employees got pay cuts and no increments but did you see anyone over here calling them rich?

I did not see anyone batting an eye when people let their emotions loose regarding the expenses and the pay situation on The Mobile thread few days ago.

Govt. employees never got many promotions and increments before COVID hit in the first place so how can you really call it a hike? Not getting this "hike" is equivalent to getting a pay cut. The day you join a govt. service your career growth is scheduled and capped, not like the private sector.

It's not like Govt. is diverting these funds for the welfare of the poor, if that's the case then let's all donate 10% of our salary every month and see how you feel about it? 

Easy to say all this when the money is not going out from your pocket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Are the Agra police to be believed?  After all the news coming from UP about the top guy + personal accounts from people on this thread, I'm very sceptical. 

Things are bad, but our journalists are sold outs.