The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

My sister had to go to work today in Bangalore. She said, it took almost same time to reach office as usual, there's plenty of traffic. 
Bangalore DGP has tweeted now,  threatening to take strict measures, as people are coming out.

FFS :doh: 

Our people never learn. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Correct me if am wrong but from whatever I read so far, there have been no cases in clinical trials where the participant had to be hospitalised. 

Did people in clinical trial get Covid?

I would suggest just get the vaccine and stay put. 3rd wave mostly will be by people who will believe vaccine has made them immune and nothing will happen to them. This virus is extremely brutal and minimum 2 years of social distancing and masking+ vaccination is required. But that's not gonna happen. People are going to put their guard down again after vaccination.

• Like 1

News24 is actually having an excellent discussion on the new strain right now. Well spoken, learned panel with know how of antigenic mutations. 

Clear call of fast genomic sequencing. Triple mutant will be a bigger threat and chance of quadraple mutant too. Vaccine and immune escape etc. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

Finally decided not to go for vaccination of parents for now.

Things in New Delhi are bad. Multiple known people went for vaccination to hospitals and have tested positive later. Though there can be other reasons too - but I think staying home with minimal contact with outside world is the way to go now.

3 minutes ago, funjabi said:

Finally decided not to go for vaccination of parents for now.

Things in New Delhi are bad. Multiple known people went for vaccination to hospitals and have tested positive later. Though there can be other reasons too - but I think staying home with minimal contact with outside world is the way to go now.

Excellent decision IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

News24 is actually having an excellent discussion on the new strain right now. Well spoken, learned panel with know how of antigenic mutations. 

Clear call of fast genomic sequencing. Triple mutant will be a bigger threat and chance of quadraple mutant too. Vaccine and immune escape etc. 

Post is if you see on their YT channel.

We need miracle. 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/india/panel-red-flagged-onset-of-2nd-wave-in-march-1st-week/articleshow/82320302.cms

The National Covid-19 supermodel committee had red-flagged to the government in March first week that a 'second wave was on its way' and adequate preparations should accordingly be made, IIT Hyderabad professor M Vidyasagar, who heads the panel, told ET. “We did highlight the fact in the first week of March that the second wave was on its way and the government should prepare. It was red-flagged to the appropriate people in the government,” said Vidyasagar, who reports to the Department of Science & Technology (DST).

This disclosure comes amid a raging debate whether warning signs of the second Covid-19 surge were ignored. According to Vidyasagar, it was clear by March 8-9 that the second wave had started in Maharashtra, Kerala and Chhattisgarh and was going to spread across the country. But DST Secretary Ashutosh Sharma, when contacted by ET, sought to draw a distinction between sounding an alert and forecasting the extent of the surge in his response to Vidyasagar’s remarks: “Everybody expected a second wave at some point. The critical point here is the extent and scale of the second wave. Everyone also prepares for the last peak. Did anyone assess it could be 5X or 10X of last year’s peak?”

Vidyasagar, however, feels now that people were in “denial” about the second wave. “Around March 8-9, we found that the beta ‘contact’ parameter was growing very high and accordingly started flagging it to people in the government. The pandemic in its second wave had already set in by March and was on course. People were in denial about the second wave,” he said.

:suicide:

5 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I don't even know how to process any of this anymore aside from anger. So much f**king useless rage.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-has-disappeared-worldwide-during-the-covid-pandemic/

Since the novel coronavirus began its global spread, influenza cases reported to the World Health Organization have dropped to minuscule levels. The reason, epidemiologists think, is that the public health measures taken to keep the coronavirus from spreading also stop the flu. Influenza viruses are transmitted in much the same way as SARS-CoV-2, but they are less effective at jumping from host to host.

As Scientific American reported last fall, the drop-off in flu numbers was both swift and universal. Since then, cases have stayed remarkably low. “There’s just no flu circulating,” says Greg Poland, who has studied the disease at the Mayo Clinic for decades. The U.S. saw about 600 deaths from influenza during the 2020-2021 flu season. In comparison, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated there were roughly 22,000 deaths in the prior season and 34,000 two seasons ago.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Still they haven’t learned… 

vaccination is a mess… prices keep changing everyday …. Who charges for vaccination??? 
If enough people don’t get it, it’s not going to be effective… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Correct me if am wrong but from whatever I read so far, there have been no cases in clinical trials where the participant had to be hospitalised. 

Correct, no hospitalization was needed post vaccination.

1 hour ago, Big Boss said:

Did people in clinical trial get Covid?

Yup, not everyone but many did. That's how the calculated the stats for severe symptoms but obviously dataset was much smaller than the trial sample. You can't voluntarily expose someone to Corona after vaccination.