The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

An outbreak the size of India’s second wave, apparently fuelled by Covid-19 variants that appear to be more infectious than earlier strains, would have overwhelmed most public health systems – let alone one of the most chronically underfunded in the world, serving a vast, spread-out population.

But public health experts, including some involved in advising the government, say the scale of India’s current outbreak was also partly manmade, the result of a feeling of exceptionalism that emanated from the top of the Indian government and rippled across society, leading to countless administrative and personal decisions that, within a few months, would prove disastrous.

There was a misreading of the situation in January that we had attained herd immunity and were unlikely to see a second wave,” says K Srinath Reddy, the president of the Public Health Foundation of India. “India went into full-blown celebratory mode. And we know the virus travels with people, and celebrates with crowds.

Alongside warnings that people should maintain precautions, governments at all levels relaxed restrictions, allowed massive social events to resume and pressed ahead with raucous electioneering, confident the continued circulation of Covid-19 in states such as Kerala or Maharashtra were the dying embers of the virus, not evidence of the sparks that would ignite a second firestorm.

There was a lot of mixed messaging coming through which made people very complacent,” Shahid Jameel, a virologist at Ashoka University, told a forum there on Tuesday. Some politicians and scientists boasted of low infection and death rates that gave Indians the impression “that somehow we are special”, Jameel added. “We are not special.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/29/we-are-not-special-how-triumphalism-led-india-to-covid-19-disaster

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SuperT said:

The article mentions that Apollo Hospitals need the citizens to take the appointment on Cowin but none of the Apollo Hospitals show up on Cowin :scratchchin:

It actually says register on cowin app and take appointment at the hospital. 

I am trying to find out details for corporate booking, some of my staff are already like, they want covaxin, lol, govt needs to educate ppl that in the given situation, any vaccine is better than no vaccine.

14 minutes ago, yogi_boy said:

I am trying to find out details for corporate booking, some of my staff are already like, they want covaxin, lol, govt needs to educate ppl that in the given situation, any vaccine is better than no vaccine.

Good point.

Apollo clinic is like  on next corner from my house. Will get jabbed tomorrow

23 minutes ago, yogi_boy said:

It actually says

"Apollo said the vaccines would be administered to those who have registered on the CoWIN app and have made an appointment for the vaccine jab at Apollo Hospitals."

Which probably means register on Cowin and schedule the appointment via Cowin and select an Apollo Hospital for the appointment (if available in the list)

I'd urge to call ahead before randomly stepping out @Right

Sad but true

Edited by Walker
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Walker said:

It actually says

"Apollo said the vaccines would be administered to those who have registered on the CoWIN app and have made an appointment for the vaccine jab at Apollo Hospitals."

Which probably means register on Cowin and schedule the appointment via Cowin and select an Apollo Hospital for the appointment (if available in the list)

I'd urge to call ahead before randomly stepping out @Right

Sad but true

I tried calling the hospital but there was no response, don't think there will be slots given on cowin for Pvt hospitals, many Pvt hospitals are planning individual, corporate vaccination booking, for them to coordinate with cowin team and upload data, won't be an easy task.

Last thing you want is to have an appt on cowin app, Visit hospital to knw tht they are out of stock.

Fantastic interview of Iqbal Singh chahal the BMC commissioner. A lot of great question answered like why you didn't hear people clamoring for beds on social media in mumbai, how they're preparing for wave 3 etc. Not all of his answers are fully true/correct but you can't expect everything to work perfectly when the whole system is collapsing. 

1 minute ago, yogi_boy said:

I tried calling the hospital but there was no response, don't think there will be slots given on cowin for Pvt hospitals, many Pvt hospitals are planning individual, corporate vaccination booking, for them to coordinate with cowin team and upload data, won't be an easy task.

Last thing you want is to have an appt on cowin app, Visit hospital to knw tht they are out of stock.

Tomorrow's 18+ vaccination in Maharashtra is super limited and is only opening despite shortages is bcoz tomorrow is Maharashtra day (not kidding). It's like the mahurat trading that takes places on diwali. 

• Haha 3

Just now, KnackChap said:

Tomorrow's 18+ vaccination in Maharashtra is super limited and is only opening despite shortages is bcoz tomorrow is Maharashtra day (not kidding). It's like the mahurat trading that takes places on diwali. 

Not really, I called kokilaben hospital also, they said Monday they ll ve all information for 18 plus vaccination appointment.