The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

38 minutes ago, Right said:

Pfizer/Moderna looking useless against Omicron

No one. 

Vaccinated people tend to travel more due to lesser restrictions, drop their guard frequently vs unvaccinated. 

Also, vaccines don't mean you won't get the infection. It would basically prevent serious cases. 

Eventually we need data on Omicron's morbidity and mortality. 

The infectivity is already much higher than Delta. 

If the virus is indeed weaker than Delta, it's a blessing in disguise. 

Booster doses would be needed just like flu. New variants out, newer versions of vaccine out, new shot. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

No one. 

Vaccinated people tend to travel more due to lesser restrictions, drop their guard frequently vs unvaccinated. 

Also, vaccines don't mean you won't get the infection. It would basically prevent serious cases. 

Booster doses would be needed just like flu. New variants out, newer versions of vaccine out, new shot. 

I don't think the majority of the population still understands this.

It's always about how the vaxed are contracting the infection and how vaccines aren't holding up.

The media just wants the shock and awe effect and the public doesn't want to be educated.

• Like 2

Yep,I think the media is to be blamed the most for repeating the phrase of “fully vaccinated re-infection”. 

Even the infected will get reinfected at some point & it’s been happening with flu viruses all along. 

You don’t even need to be a doctor to have common sense. 

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

I don't think the majority of the population still understands this.

It's always about how the vaxed are contracting the infection and how vaccines aren't holding up.

The media just wants the shock and awe effect and the public doesn't want to be educated.

I mean in the thread itself it's posted multiple times that the vaccinated folks can still catch the virus but the severity *should* be low but every second day we still have the same tweets that so many vaccinated guys caught the virus or it's new variant. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

I mean in the thread itself it's posted multiple times that the vaccinated folks can still catch the virus but the severity *should* be low but every second day we still have the same tweets that so many vaccinated guys caught the virus or it's new variant. 

Exactly.

I guess it's a forum afterall.

40 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Not totally unrelated to this thread but how come tablighi jamat has been banned by Saudi Arabia. Did they congregate and spread covid there as well?

They didn't spread it here. Where are you getting your news from?

22 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

No one. 

I understand this doc saab.

But real world efficacy of mRNA vaxx is definitely not good, at least against Omicron.

4 minutes ago, Right said:

I understand this doc saab.

But real world efficacy of mRNA vaxx is definitely not good, at least against Omicron.

No vaccine will be effective under such rapid mutations. That's the reason why Flu vaccine is "remade" each year, to combat against the most common variants of that year. 

And HIV is notorious (similarly), vaccine development is so difficult due to its rapid mutation, strain diversity and high immune escape. 

35 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

No vaccine will be effective under such rapid mutations. That's the reason why Flu vaccine is "remade" each year, to combat against the most common variants of that year. 

And HIV is notorious (similarly), vaccine development is so difficult due to its rapid mutation, strain diversity and high immune escape. 

We never get annual flu shots here. Is that really a thing in America?

59 minutes ago, Right said:

We never get annual flu shots here. Is that really a thing in America?

India also has some burden. Pre pandemic, India was reporting around 30k cases annually, and around 1200 deaths. 

USA, OTOH, estimates around 25-30 million cases per year. 

I'm pretty sure Indian cases are higher, but our tracking is subpar (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7182391/). 

Things will get more complicated based on local strains, and different vaccine needed. 

Edit: Also, let's not forget - per prick earnings are much higher for companies in US vs tropical countries. And while there's no substantial evidence to say this, but tropical people seem to have better immunity than typical western population. Our kids are exposed to TB bacilli since childhood ! In US or ANZ, if you've TB, you're also likely to have AIDS since it'll only show up when you're severely immunocompromised. Our immunity and burdens are much different. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

It indeed is. Why do think there is an anti-waxx movement?

Anti-vaxx movement has religious/political reasons.

And trust me anti-vaxxers caan be found in each cohort.

In India, Prashant Bhushan came out as one, I mean guy is a nut but still you picture ppl

like him to be an anti-vaxxer