The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

Kid got it first 102-103 for 2 days and then she was better. Wife immediately got it next, stuffy nose, high fever for 2 days and now just weakness. I got it next, high fever, headaches, burning eyes. Took me out for 3 days. A week later and I still have a cough. 

Last evening my brother tested positive, with high fever and terrible body ache. Told his wife to get tested too. 

84 yr old uncle got covid in the first week of Jan, refused to share the test results for a week and eventually had to be rushed to hospital and put on oxygen for 6 days. My dad had to go to Mumbai to get him admitted, since we all were down with Covid here. Now I'm wondering how long it will be before one of us will have to go to Mumbai if my dad gets ill there.

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, Walker said:

Kid got it first 102-103 for 2 days and then she was better. Wife immediately got it next, stuffy nose, high fever for 2 days and now just weakness. I got it next, high fever, headaches, burning eyes. Took me out for 3 days. A week later and I still have a cough. 

Last evening my brother tested positive, with high fever and terrible body ache. Told his wife to get tested too. 

84 yr old uncle got covid in the first week of Jan, refused to share the test results for a week and eventually had to be rushed to hospital and put on oxygen for 6 days. My dad had to go to Mumbai to get him admitted, since we all were down with Covid here. Now I'm wondering how long it will be before one of us will have to go to Mumbai if my dad gets ill there.

Hopefully all will be fine man. It's a terrible situation. Mild variant my a*s.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

What f**king chuts. 

My wife and both kids are suffering from COVID now, and all three are in pretty bad shape. Mild Omicron my a*s. 

Worse than when wife got infected in the initial wave. 

indeed. my dad had it, and he's still not recovered 100%. idk whose idea it was to call it "mild" and it caught on. we're all suffering for it. 

Now even Sisodia called it "not harmful for kids" so they can open schools, idk what this guy is smoking. 

Every time they've made this kind of decision it bites them in the a*s 3 days later......

18 minutes ago, North said:

indeed. my dad had it, and he's still not recovered 100%. idk whose idea it was to call it "mild" and it caught on. we're all suffering for it. 

Now even Sisodia called it "not harmful for kids" so they can open schools, idk what this guy is smoking. 

Every time they've made this kind of decision it bites them in the a*s 3 days later......

Shittiest part is none of us have been out of the house for over 3 weeks, right when this wave started. Just go to collect parcels, veggies etc which are kept on the porch (wearing an N95), and even then 3 people in my house caught it. 

f**king thing is airborne MAX. 

Edit: Landlady has this daily cards ritual, where 5-7 of her friends join her to play cards in the house, and everyone passes through a common lobby. I'm guessing that might be the area of infection. None of them wear masks, and everything is treated as "thoda saa sardi zukaam". 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

4 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

everything is treated as "thoda saa sardi zukaam". 

Sad thing is that everyone is treating is as just another cold because they want to justify their actions. Like companies calling it so so they can call employees, people going out with wearing masks. When I was out, I asked a friend why isn't she wearing a mask she said 'har kisi ko hona ki hai, experts ne kahan hai koi nahi bachega corona se'.

1 minute ago, abhi90 said:

Sad thing is that everyone is treating is as just another cold because they want to justify their actions. Like companies calling it so so they can call employees, people going out with wearing masks. When I was out, I asked a friend why isn't she wearing a mask she said 'har kisi ko hona ki hai, experts ne kahan hai koi nahi bachega corona se'.

CDC has mandated only 5 days of quarantine if you're asymptomatic or symptoms resolve. What more can you say ? There's information overload with no clear scientific guidelines, every country doing their own stuff  Chutiyapa max. 

5 hours ago, Right said:

255k @15.88%

Clearly off peak.

we are good folks, just matter of a couple of weeks.

26th was holiday. Those numbers should be treated as Monday numbers. We will know the exact trajectory by mid of next week. Though many have stopped testing even after symptoms.

2265677d1643284245-coronavirus-thread-2e,

This is a very well written article, we can either keep panicking or learn to live with it now. My son slept perfectly fine yesterday, only to wake up mid of night with 102 degree fever, I know what it is, and seeing how contagious this is, it is a matter of time me and wife will get it too, we can't isolate him.

Now think of this as a scenario from before the pandemic, he would have got fever which  is a viral, inadvertently me and my wife will get it too, every time he catches cold, we get it too, there is no escaping. I am not panicking this time, just started his treatment, and got mentally ready to do the same for me, and started the quarantine. Over testing is not achieving anything as said in the article above, you keep testing and you will keep finding cases. Get vaccinated and learn to live with it, that is the only option, this sh*t is not going anywhere for a long long time. Period!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AtheK said:

2265677d1643284245-coronavirus-thread-2e,

This is a very well written article, we can either keep panicking or learn to live with it now. My son slept perfectly fine yesterday, only to wake up mid of night with 102 degree fever, I know what it is, and seeing how contagious this is, it is a matter of time me and wife will get it too, we can't isolate him.

Now think of this as a scenario from before the pandemic, he would have got fever which  is a viral, inadvertently me and my wife will get it too, every time he catches cold, we get it too, there is no escaping. I am not panicking this time, just started his treatment, and got mentally ready to do the same for me, and started the quarantine. Over testing is not achieving anything as said in the article above, you keep testing and you will keep finding cases. Get vaccinated and learn to live with it, that is the only option, this sh*t is not going anywhere for a long long time. Period!!

There's a difference between panic and prudence. Some points in the article are dangerous, like opening schools. We already have the new Omicron BA2 sub variant running amok in many countries, and don't really know the effects. We don't know how far has Omicron replaced delta. Large scale gatherings like schools are prime areas for viruses to mutate and evolve even more rapidly, since there will be a lot of crossover due to high transmissible nature of the virus. 

The article also asks for better and more labs to ensure higher sequencing of viruses, something which we don't have, nor have we heard anything about it from the government. 

The healthcare infrastructure is also not evolved enough to tackle another delta like strain, which again harps back to prudence. 

In an ideal world, everyone would take precautions, with free and widely available healthcare, and excellent genomic sequencing etc. But we don't live in an ideal world. Cost of healthcare is an immense burden. Someone well off might not care, but a middle class person would possibly deplete their life savings if kept for 2-3 weeks in the ICU. 

You're not panicking NOW as long as your child is doing ok on fever reducing meds. But those who are not responding or are getting serious infections will obviously panic, specially kids. 

Hence it's only wise to be prudent, and keep your gaurds up. Long COVID is real. We don't even know how our kids (or for that matter, ourselves) will be effected in the long run. 

41 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

There's a difference between panic and prudence. Some points in the article are dangerous, like opening schools. We already have the new Omicron BA2 sub variant running amok in many countries, and don't really know the effects. We don't know how far has Omicron replaced delta. Large scale gatherings like schools are prime areas for viruses to mutate and evolve even more rapidly, since there will be a lot of crossover due to high transmissible nature of the virus. 

The article also asks for better and more labs to ensure higher sequencing of viruses, something which we don't have, nor have we heard anything about it from the government. 

The healthcare infrastructure is also not evolved enough to tackle another delta like strain, which again harps back to prudence. 

In an ideal world, everyone would take precautions, with free and widely available healthcare, and excellent genomic sequencing etc. But we don't live in an ideal world. Cost of healthcare is an immense burden. Someone well off might not care, but a middle class person would possibly deplete their life savings if kept for 2-3 weeks in the ICU. 

You're not panicking NOW as long as your child is doing ok on fever reducing meds. But those who are not responding or are getting serious infections will obviously panic, specially kids. 

Hence it's only wise to be prudent, and keep your gaurds up. Long COVID is real. We don't even know how our kids (or for that matter, ourselves) will be effected in the long run. 

This. Also with people comparing it to flu, we sort of know that flu is mostly harmless and has no long term affects (Yes, some people succumb to flu as well) but equating flu and corona is not the correct analogy since we don't even know about all the long term effects of Corona, let alone that people are dying because of it and a lot of people have had long term and adverse affects

Biggest mistake people are doing is they are equating Covid illness with regular viral flu. We simply don't know what are the bad effects of coronavirus entering and affecting your body for long term. Not enough data is available. Only option is to avoid infection as much as possible.

Edit: lol @abhi90 said the same thing

Edited by Big Boss
  • Like 1

Ya be prudent but the way people are panicking is like by doing that it is going to make the virus go away. Schools are breeding grounds, so is pretty much every gathering. Hell you yourself said you got it sitting at home, so did my wife last time. I am not panicking but I am definitely concerned, there is only so much I can do.  The long term effects, how long you would wait to know about them, 2 more years, 5 more years, 15 more years, and once you know then what, woukd you reversw time. how long is long enough is any one guess now.

Come on man, I am done with this, I am going to mask up, sanitize my hands, and get on with my life now. Yes we all know there is covid it's been around for 2 years and it is not going away anywhere for next 10 years, sit and home and wait for it to catch up, or take all precautions and try that it does not cross you, and if it does you deal with it. I got a health insurance worth 1.5 cr done for my family, I have taken a big term insurance plan, that is where everyone can start not necessarily panicking.

Where did panicking and lockdown got us anyway, there is no ideal world not in India nor abroad. We have to learn to live with this unfortunately, there is no other option. Everyone has a choice to make, but now I am past that point in my life and this virus life span, that I refuse to question anyone choice. It's there choice and there life, if you are not comfortable with some one choices, don't meet them, don't go to such places. Now that enough has been told about virus, everyone knows the risks anyway.

I on my part will act responsibly and will take some camore calculated risks compared to what I took last year. I hope others do the same, but that is my hope, it's ultimately individual choice and I am ok with what they choose.

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

People are getting it sitting at their home. How long are you going to be prudent, really? I'm assuming prudent here means not leaving the home until absolutely required. 

You seem to forget that the vast majority of jobs cannot be done from home. And even besides that plenty of non essential things like watching movies, taking a vacation, going to school, etc. become essential on a long enough timeline. 

And I feel we crossed that timeline some time back. 

It's been 2 years now with the virus showing no signs on letting even after all the vaccines and precautions in the world. 

At this point, you just mask up and get on with your life. Long covid exists yeah but so what, man. Everyone I know got it so we're f**ked anyways. 

The effects of long covid won't be known for another decade because obviously you need to observe for a long time to understand long term effects. What're you gonna do, stay in a bunker for the next decade? 

How is prudence related to sitting at home ?

Prudence is masking up, washing hands. 

Prudence is testing when you get symptoms. 

Prudence is isolating yourself if you're positive, and not hiding it from neighbours, maids and the world. 

Prudence is NOT taking every sneeze and cough as common cold. 

How many people are even masking up nowadays ? I don't see a single person in my society with a mask. The delivery guy seems better educated than so called rich people - at least he wears a mask. 

Keep saying f**k this and that. Let's talk when you lose somebody close to you due to COVID. 

• Like 5