The Coronavirus Thread Part 2

Big Boss

2 hours ago, blitzkreiig said:

Lockdown is so not the solution, if people dying is the benchmark then lockdown causes more people to die than Corona. All the lockdown does is not overburden the medical facilities....with most people home quarantining the hospitals wouldn't get overwhelmed. 
We need to learn to live with precautions, stricter enforcement of masks and Sec 144 is what is required.

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

Yep. Pretty easy for people like us to talk about complete lockdowns as we can just work from home without issues.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Yeah I know people who weren't getting paid since 6-8 months who finally started getting their salaries when restrictions were lifted. A lockdown would be downright evil for a lot of people. 

Even the most financially disciplined people don't have the funds to tough out something like this let alone the daily wage labourers, rickshaw drivers and such. 

Unless we have an ideal situation and everyone starts following mask and hygiene mandates, what is the way out ? We know there are a f**kton of people who will not wear masks, go out and call Covid a joke. 

The issue is not just deaths, it's all the morbidity burden. Post COVID morbidities are being seen in young and previously healthy individuals, and they are serious. 

Hospitals are getting full. Most ICUs in Noida (no idea about Greater Noida) are now packed with COVID cases (first hand info received a couple of hours back). Things are going worse. 

27 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Unless we have an ideal situation and everyone starts following mask and hygiene mandates, what is the way out ? We know there are a f**kton of people who will not wear masks, go out and call Covid a joke. 

The issue is not just deaths, it's all the morbidity burden. Post COVID morbidities are being seen in young and previously healthy individuals, and they are serious. 

Hospitals are getting full. Most ICUs in Noida (no idea about Greater Noida) are now packed with COVID cases (first hand info received a couple of hours back). Things are going worse. 

How long can the lockdown be imposed? It's not like they can have lockdown till everyone's vaccinated.

And the virus isn't going anywhere, we have to learn to live with it. Whenever it is lifted, cases will start increasing...yes some people will act like idiots, stricter measures should be imposed for them.

Economic morbidity & mortality is worse than health issues right now. I know of families who were well to do and now can't even pay the school fees for their children. The daily wages workers/labourers are even worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

I read a report that Centre rejected BMC's request for door to door vaccination for 1.5L old citizens. What the hell! 

I mean logistics might be an issue but pretty sure there will be enough cold storage to carry it out.

Yep I read this in the Mirror. Total WTF indeed. The center is behaving like everyone in Mumbai is invalid or bedridden. f**king twats.

3 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Beats me. Only a handful of colleges are maintaining sanity and conducting their operations online. Rest are just scum.

Its been going on for a year. idk why the f**k they decide out of the blue to call everyone to campus. 

Anyway thats the case here. Either I go get a RT PCR test, sign the damn consent form and give exams, or not give exams and fail this semester. 

Didn't expect this kind of BS from my college tbh. 

5 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

@Bird Bird Bird My parents are due for vaccination on 1st, Covidshield is good to go? Given that it is being put on pause in many places.

I personally don't see any thing wrong with the data they have provided for Indian population and maybe things are being exaggerated a bit.

Definitely. The efficacy is in low 70s AFAIR. Just ensure they follow all protocols even post vaccination. 

10 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

@Bird Bird Bird My parents are due for vaccination on 1st, Covidshield is good to go? Given that it is being put on pause in many places.

I personally don't see any thing wrong with the data they have provided for Indian population and maybe things are being exaggerated a bit.

I had heard that covaxin was effective against the variants as well, though not sure against which variants they were talking about (previously I had read that astrazeneca/CoviShield was not very effective against the South African variant). I need to do some more research about this, but wondering if you or anyone else here has already studied such comparisons between these vaccines? 

1 minute ago, Ph3N0M said:

I had heard that covaxin was effective against the variants as well, though not sure against which variants they were talking about (previously I had read that astrazeneca/CoviShield was not very effective against the South African variant). I need to do some more research about this, but wondering if you or anyone else here has already studied such comparisons between these vaccines? 

Regular updates to the vaccines will be needed like the flu shots. Virus will keep on mutating. I doubt there will ever be a one shot fits all situation. 

3 minutes ago, Ph3N0M said:

I did study but not in depth though. At first Astra did show less efficacy against the variants and Covaxin fared better but then Astra released another Indian focused study in which its efficacy improved but Covaxin still fared better.

I assume it's gonna be once a year shot for everyone to handle future mutations which won't be that bad.

Given the current scenario and that choice between the vaccines isn't given, some protection is better than no protection.

2 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

AZ is an mRNA vaccine via BB is an inactivated vaccine. Purely on basic science, Covaxin should be more effective than AZ, but lots of confounding factors involved. 

New studies of Moderna and Pfizer show encouraging efficacy, not sure how they pulled.

Need to sit down one day and just study the science.

I wish J&J vaccine was available here, it would have been a no brainer.

5 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Cases didn't go up because the friends we know went out to restaurants or bars. Believe it or not but the people on these forums are not representative of India's population. We don't make up even 0.1% of the population. Cases went up because offices opened, people went back to work, public transportation started after a year. People went back to normal life because the alternative was becoming poorer at home or back in their village. 

Do people who want another lockdown have any idea the economic devastation the last one causes on the most vulnerable people in the country? We aren't a developed economy that gets supported by the government; stimulus checks, small business loans, unemployment insurance or stipends, thats not our way. While I work from home, my office guards, peons, liftboys calls me every week begging for work, any work. While we watch Netflix or game at night, most have a second job delivering for swiggy or amazon. I know a lot of people who have had covid, and almost all got better without any issues (I know the opposite is also true for a lot of people), but I don't know a single person who hasn't suffered some kind of economic issue because of the lockdown. People who post here can weather it, most people cannot. 

It's a disease, I'm not going to downplay it but its a disease where 95% recover with no issues. The alternative is more harmful. 

1 minute ago, zen said:

Cases didn't go up because the friends we know went out to restaurants or bars. Believe it or not but the people on these forums are not representative of India's population. We don't make up even 0.1% of the population. Cases went up because offices opened, people went back to work, public transportation started after a year. People went back to normal life because the alternative was becoming poorer at home or back in their village. 

Do people who want another lockdown have any idea the economic devastation the last one causes on the most vulnerable people in the country? We aren't a developed economy that gets supported by the government; stimulus checks, small business loans, unemployment insurance or stipends, thats not our way. While I work from home, my office guards, peons, liftboys calls me every week begging for work, any work. While we watch Netflix or game at night, most have a second job delivering for swiggy or amazon. I know a lot of people who have had covid, and almost all got better without any issues (I know the opposite is also true for a lot of people), but I don't know a single person who hasn't suffered some kind of economic issue because of the lockdown. People who post here can weather it, most people cannot. 

It's a disease, I'm not going to downplay it but its a disease where 95% recover with no issues. The alternative is more harmful. 

Well, I'm gonna be a selfish bitch over here. If I've to choose between my family not getting infected (what happens next, no one knows- no one wants to be in the mortality stat) and somebody else bearing the burden, I'll always choose the former. 

Life is unfair. We see it everyday. But between saving my parents, spouse and kids vs anyone else, it's just a no brainer. 

Harsh, yes. But we are running out of options. People will be idiots. 

7 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

@Bird Bird Bird do you have any information about these antibodies test? They are so damn confusing. IgM, IgG and whatnot. Which one should be done? 

There are primarily 2 types of AB test - Total and Igg. 

Total measures IgM + IgG.

IgG measures... IgG. 

The primary covid response causes IgM to be produced initially, and IgG gets produced either at the same time or a bit after. IgM decays faster, so it'll generally not be detectable after say 3 weeks. 

When you do total Ab and it comes positive, you need to get Igg done too. 

TAB and IgG positive = Most likely a passed infection (> 2 weeks old), and you're likely to NOT communicate it to others. Long lasting AB present. 

TAB positive but IgG negative = Get RTPCR immediately as most likely IgM is positive, which means recent communicable infection.

Many labs do a reflex IgG, where they first test for TABs, and if they turn positive, they check for IgG too. Metropolis does this. 

Recently, IgA ABs are gaining momentum: https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/13/577/eabd2223

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1