The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

Heaven Angel

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is a 'Prince of Persia-Like' stealth game with a branching narrative

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will mix Prince of Persia-like stealth action, feature a branching narrative, and expand on the hints given by J.R.R. Tolkien about the Stoor-formerly-known-as-Sméagol to create a brand new Lord of the Rings story that aims to fit alongside the books.

Daedelic still isn't showing off gameplay footage of its 2021 next-gen stealth project, but the game's developers spoke exclusively to IGN about Gollum's mixture of stealth-action and interactive narrative gameplay, how they're expanding on Tolkien's original fiction, how they tried to create a version of the character you actually want to spend time with, and more.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum's Stealth Gameplay

Gollum will be a game broadly spent in two distinct states - either stealthily making your way past the various hulking threats living in Mordor, and making narrative chocies as the warring personalities of Sméagol and Gollum fight for control.

The former should be familiar to many: "The game mixes stealth with vertical climbing parkour," explains lead game designer Martin Wilkes. "If you want a reference you might think of it as similar to Prince of Persia. It is mostly a non-combat game, but Gollum will be able to stealthily take out enemies. However, this will not be easy and always come with big risks. We want players to carefully weigh these encounters. After all, Gollum’s strengths lie in cunning not combat."

8.jpg

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum's Narrative Gameplay

Between those stealth sections, Gollum will be forced to make decisions and dialogue choices, choosing from responses proposed by both his gentler Sméagol personality, and the Gollum psyche that emerged after he was corrupted by the One Ring. So, do those decisions mean there's a branching narrative to play through?

"There is," explains Schanen. "Also, the decisions you make affect the way the game feels. You always either play as Sméagol or as Gollum as the 'dominant' persona and that can influence animations, soundscapes, certain gameplay situations, and in-game dialogue."

9.jpg

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum's Level Design and Structure

Middle-earth is a huge place, and we've seen other games adapt it as an open world, but Gollum will take a slightly more curated approach.

"The game is, for the most part, structured in sets of levels and hubs," Wilkes explains. "When Gollum arrives at a new location the places where he can go from that hub are limited until he either works his way in (for example, the prisons of the Dark Tower), finds secret passages or information, or manages to scheme his way into otherwise restricted areas.

"Some levels are completely open in all three dimensions and can be explored freely, while others are more linear but often with alternative routes where players can, for example, decide if they rather sneak around some guards or take a risky parkour route in vertiginous heights to pass the next segment."

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Who literally asked for this lol. It looks rather good visually but who is excited to play as Gollum? 

Gollum has been a strong character in LOR franchise. Maybe it'll showcase his life scenarios, how he got obsessed and what does he do with the ring. 

1 minute ago, Heaven Angel said:

Gollum has been a strong character in LOR franchise. Maybe it'll showcase his life scenarios, how he got obsessed and what does he do with the ring. 

There could be a Gollum fanbase out there but I'm definitely not a part of it haha. Also this kinda restricts the gameplay scenarios for the game. I don't expect him to pick up a sword and behead enemies left and right, unless they actually pull it of and make him a warrior lol

6 minutes ago, Aloy said:

There could be a Gollum fanbase out there but I'm definitely not a part of it haha. Also this kinda restricts the gameplay scenarios for the game. I don't expect him to pick up a sword and behead enemies left and right, unless they actually pull it of and make him a warrior lol

Gollum is a nuanced character with a lot of layers - should be an intelligent game rather than mindless button mashing 

11 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Gollum is a nuanced character with a lot of layers - should be an intelligent game rather than mindless button mashing 

I guess I should wait for a proper full reveal with gameplay before running my mouth....Maybe it would turn out rather nice.

16 hours ago, Aloy said:

Who literally asked for this lol. It looks rather good visually but who is excited to play as Gollum? 

Gollum is one of most popular LOTR characters. I forgot name of all main characters from LOTR movies but still remember Gollum character.

16 hours ago, Aloy said:

Gollums character traits and physical build probably mean they will go the stealth route. 

I'm curious what they'll do with his dual personality. Hopefully they don't just relegate it to the story section. Bring in some cool gameplay mechanic. 

17 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

How Gollum got the Ring and what he does with it is known. No need to mess with established lore and make a mess of it. The grey area is - What Gollum does after Bilbo has taken the Ring. That's a huge grey area. What is known (according to the books) is this -

1) Gollum knew the Ring was in the Shire and went as far as the borders before inexplicably turning back (and not actually entering it)

2) Gollum went to Mordor several times, and went in and out of it - without Sauron knowing. It was only on one of the later escapades that he was actually caught.

3) Gollum made contact with and reached an agreement with Shelob - someone who generally eats first and does not talk.

4) Gollum was able to lead Gandalf and Aragon on a merry chase, making it very difficult for them to find him. Aragon was a Ranger and one of (if not the very) best trackers in LOTR

5) Gollum escaped from the Mirkwood Elves who kept him captive at Aragon's behest, with help from the Orcs. Before that, he had already been in Mirkwood (Free) and had killed and eaten children, despite the presence of Elves, Men, Dwarves and the Beornings (People who turned into bears)

6) Gollum followed the entire Fellowship - even through Moria, that too through the (Very much broken) Bridge of Khazad Dum, escaping both the Orcs and the Balrog (He did not enter Lorien though).

All of that was before his major part from Two Towers onwards - where he was captured by Frodo and Sam. How he did all those things - there is a great potential to make a game out of it (Though I don't expect Daedelic Entertainment writers to be as good as JRR Tolkien, at least please make a decent story and not a mess like WB with their Shadow games).

Also, yes I expect it to be a stealth game. Gollum is a very rogue like character, with surprising strength when he has to strangle someone etc. He's not a warrior.

• Like 2