PS4 - nostalgia thread (best & the worst)

Ne0

Anyway, the generation is (un)officially coming to an end when the new consoles launch by the end of the year, so thought of making this thread to go over some of the best and the worst games I've played in this generation.  My gaming habit has progressively declined from the start of the generation to the end (where I hardly play for 2 hours per week now).

Anyway, here're some features of PS4 which I really liked :

1. PS4 touchpad  -  I was mighty impressed with it after using it in kz:shadowfall to control the drone , especially thinking of all the possible scenarios where it can be used.  Sadly the feature was underutilized and ended being just a clickpad to open up in-game maps or things like that.

2.  Rest mode : I was pleasantly surprised, when I found that I can literally put my PS4 to sleep and just continue my game from where I left off (without the need to boot up/start from beginning).  I was abroad when I bought my ps4 and this feature was used constantly as there was never a power cut and I never had a reason to switch it off.

3. 2 free games on PS+ every month, I believe this was one of the best things that Sony did on PS4.  Instead of a simple online platform, releasing some really good games every month for free.  My first game - kz:shadowfall was actually a free ps+ title which i played.  

4. Background downloads in low power mode - this was another awesome feature.  Thanks to this, most of my purchases on PS4 gen were digital.

Not so flattering moments :

1. When my hdmi output conked off, had to replace it , cost me quite a tidy sum :-/

2. Realized that the dlc's i bought in India wouldn't work with the digital games I bought when I was abroad :-/

3. When my disc reader stopped working , glad that most of my purchases were digital.

4. Huge noise the console makes while playing some games !

Top 5 best games :

1. Bloodborne : This is my most hated (in the beginning) and then one of my most loved games on PS4.  Every time a boss beat me, I felt more motivated to level up and face it again.  Add to it the goth architecture , enemy variations & the superb level design, this is hands down one of the best games of this generation.

2. Horizon zero dawn: This was a pleasant surprise for me.  While i was skeptical about the whole bow/arrow thingy in the beginning , I was surprised by how seamlessly it integrated into the game never feeling laggy/slow.  With the variety in machines and a good plot which makes you play just to understand what was happening, this one was a real surprise package.

3. Witcher 3: Wild hunt : Don't need to say more, one of the best crafted open world rpg's with a strong story (damn, even the side quests were much better than the main quests in most games).

4. RDR 2 : While it didn't have the same comical overtone of GTA, the world R* created was mighty impressive with the near perfectionist attention to detail.  One of the few games which i played for weeks (spending most of the time just wandering in the open game world), guess this is one of the swan song type games of the PS4 gen.

5. God Of War: Well hands down one of my all time best experiences in gaming.  I was expecting it to be good, but it turned out to be much better than what I thought.  The whole reboot was done quite well.  No wonder they couldn't bring one more game, as you can see the amount of effort that has gone in creating the world.  

5 Most disappointing games :

1. Infamous second son : While it started out well, found it to be quite boring midway and lost interest 3/4th of the way.

2. Uncharted 4: This was by far the most disappointing game for me.  Was a huge fan of uc2, uc3 was ok.  But UC 4 was the most boring of the lot , had to drag myself to finish it.

3. Doom : While the game was good until one point, it became too fast for my liking.  Started to feel more like a chore than a game.

4. Fallout 4: Another boring game with bland dialogues , boring characters and uninteresting main quest.  FO3 was like leagues ahead of this.

5. COD WW2:   Well, I did play only one COD game this gen (WW2) - and downloaded it as part of the ps+.  But damn, how the mighty has fallen.  Guess the series could never rise to its prequels in the prev gen.

Edited by Ne0
  • Like 2

Though Xbox one didn’t fare well this gen, its hardware especially the Xbox one X  and OS are much better. 

PS4 and PS4 Pro are bulky and their designs are among the worse designs in PS history Also noisy and difficult to pack up due to its design. 

Edited by Mysteryman

. Doom : While the game was good until one point, it became too fast for my liking.  Started to feel more like a chore than a game.

3 hours ago, Pacifier said:

Wat:bash:

Yeah, odd. That's what makes DOOM..DOOM. Fast paced frantic action pumped. 

If you want slower approach, Wolfenstein games are good. 

Let's see

Tech:

• Useless touchpad. Barely had any impact on games and only felt like a gimmick feature. 
  • Controller was fine. Coming form Xbox 360 controller to DS4 and ended up liking it. 
  • PS+ scam. Okay at first with all the hype with "free" games but didn't even bother to download or play those. Total waste but sadly had to pay to play online.
  • Slow UI and awful store. Pure trash.

Good games:

• Ratchet & Clank - super fun right from start. Gorgeous visuals and polished. Controls and gameplay was also solid. 
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - short and sweet. Some meh moments but overall had fun.
  • God of War - this was fantastic.
  • Last of Us - I played it first on PS4. Amazing game. 
  • Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - actually was surprised how well it worked with controller. Very enjoyable. Ended up getting platnium.
  • Bloodborne - good game but poor performance. This needs better treatment/PC release.
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - loved it

Over-hyped / Bad games:

• inFamous Second Son and First Light - such a big disappointment. Visuals and cool effects aside, everything was just repetitive. 
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - amazing visuals with trash characters. Not a single good character to support the story. Red head shite gets so much free points. 6 at best. 
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - another visuals good with boring arse gameplay. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 put me to sleep so much that I didn't even touch the console for 12 months. Go back to try out The Last of Us Part II. Didn't like first few hours itself. Haven't touched since June now. 

Lots of unfinished games wasted due awful performance. 

Surely won't be buying PS5 at launch. Maybe 2-3 years later when they release another Pro version with more than 2 good games to play. 

lol I liked all 3 of the bad games in your list. Infamous second son was the first game i played on PS4. 

My Favorite games (in no order):

1. Spiderman
  2. RDR2
  3. Uncharted Lost legacy
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. Uncharted 4
  6. Batman Arkham Knight
  7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  8. Driveclub
  9. GTA V :D

I didn't play Last of Us as i don't like horror stuff... 

I am yet to play GoW. Once i finish AC Odyssey, I will be playing it.  

3 minutes ago, ayush12ice said:

I didn't play Last of Us as i don't like horror stuff... 

Am not into horror myself but Last of Us didn't feel like a horror game at all. 

It was intense at certain points but overall more of an action-adventure. 

My top 5 games this gen -

1. RDR2. Characters, story, the world itself. And Dutch with his Tahiti vacation plans :bigyellowgrin:

2. Uncharted 4. Drake fanboy through and through I'm afraid. 

3. Witcher 3. I'm not finished yet, but hopefully this year. 

4. UC Lost Legacy. I liked the shorter length of the game. 

5. Apex Legends. Been playing this wayy too much. 

GOW ain't on the list cuz I haven't played it yet :fear1:

Still need to play that, and GoT 

Disappointing

1.Controller Touch pad sucks, no use and not fun either, Expensive and too big.

greatly prefer dualshock 3.

2. Games with too much filler content with cutscenes and dialogues and too much walking.

3. Most AAA games play the same, just a different setting and different story, lack of innovation and variety in gameplay.

Top 5 games

1. Sekiro (something unique and most rewarding boss fights)

3. Nioh (next level combat)

4. Yakuza 0 (most intense and greatly emotional story)

2. Resident Evil 4 (just a port but still I completed it this time - one of the greatest of all time)

6. Shadow Warrior (fun)

5. Spiderman (made traversal fun)

Disappointing games

1. God of war apart from Valkyrie fights.

(Disappointing doesn't mean worst or very bad)

2. Bloodborne, didn't like much compared to Dark souls.

Worst game completed

1. Galgun 2 by far

2. Black ops 3

3. AC origins.

Edited by GunnerY2J

The bad:
1. DLCs from US PS store not being compatible with Indian physical discs: This one was just so annoying as my digital purchases were all useless until I bought the main game during sales. And after that the saves would not work!! Such BS ..

2. The controller build quality: I bought the base PS4 at launch along with additional controller and they both lost the D-pad functionality in 2 years. The new v2 dualshocks were nice though.

The good:
1. The trophy system: I know most people don’t care about this but I just love how this works. I have gone back to games I finished years earlier so I could platinum them and enjoyed the challenge. I have the one x also but the achievements system does not create the same feeling.

2. HDR on older games: I was pleasantly surprised to see so many older games had HDR enabled when I started playing after a 2 year break. It may not be the best presentation but it does add a pop effect to games like infamous, TLOU, Uncharted 4 etc and that too on a base PS4 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Top 5 best games :

1. Bloodborne : This is my most hated (in the beginning) and then one of my most loved games on PS4.  Every time a boss beat me, I felt more motivated to level up and face it again.  Add to it the goth architecture , enemy variations & the superb level design, this is hands down one of the best games of this generation.

Heard the same from so many gamers. This being their first From Soft game and then they getting hooked to soulsbourne style games. I couldnt go past Father Guacamole but enjoyed my time till then. Hoping to get back to it someday.

12 hours ago, Mysteryman said:

That’s maybe because there are fewer AAA games this gen compared to previous gens. Xbox One is a big loser due to lack of exclusives.

Could be..yeah. This gen really didn't start properly until 2015-2016, be it exclusives or other AAA games.  I don't think any gen will come close to the PS2 gen ever.

Stuff I liked,

• The 3.5mm audio jack on the controller. It's a godsend and i could game at night without giving my wife a head ache :p
  • Rest mode to download stuff. 
  • DS4 because DS3 was too small for my hands. Though I like the switch pro controller the most.
  • The game cases. Liked it better than PS3.

Stuff I hated,

• Not a fan of the System UI. May be an unpopular opinion.
  • Never really liked the touch pad functionality in some games and i still don't know what the speaker on the controller is for :lol: 
  • Pro fan sounds like it's about to take off.

Games I loved,

• Days gone
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Journey
  • Witcher 3 including the DLCs - what a game it is!
  • Yakuza 0
  • GOW
  • Persona 5/Persona 5R
  • Spiderman
  • Nier Automata
  • MGS 5

Games I hated/not a fan of,

• FF Type 0 - never could get into it. Tried multiple times
  • Beyond two souls
  • Shadow of War - what a f**king waste of time.

Edited by b!T

16 minutes ago, b!T said:

i still don't know what the speaker on the controller is for

I noticed it worked in few games.

Knack had some sounds when you picked certain stuff or did some action

Last of Us audio recordings playing on DS4 speaker

GTA V had police radio and phone ring

Division walkie talkie audio

11 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

I noticed it worked in few games.

Knack had some sounds when you picked certain stuff or did some action

Last of Us audio recordings playing on DS4 speaker

GTA V had police radio and phone ring

Division walkie talkie audio

Ah, I forgot GTA police stuff. I do remember it. Last of us 1 had it? or 2? I played 1 on ps3 and haven't played 2 yet.