PS4 - nostalgia thread (best & the worst)

Ne0

20 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Also, no manuals in games.

Gives me with little reason to collect games, would like to own a PS3 game over PS4.

Also, how brittle are the PS4 cases.

And the games always come out of the disc holder even in sealed games.

ah yes, i have noticed this as well. but something abt the ps4 game case color combo makes it aesthetically pleasing.

Just now, adity said:

Batman had radio chatter through controller. Its kinda cool tbh but I almost always have headphones connected so useless. 

I think i have opted to disable controller speakers when i heard the police sirens in GTA. Probably why I have never encountered it again. 

Wow, this Gen flew by very fast! 

My takes:

Games(+):

(1) Witcher 3: I didn't know what I was getting into  initially with that pretty basic Gameplay, but once you get hooked on. my-oh-my. The music, story, side-quests, customization. It was a damn good game. Can't wait to jump onto this again on PS5 for replaying/completing the DLCs

(2) God of War: This game is great on so many levels and the way they re-imagined gameplay is wonderful. I still periodically see Youtube video reactions of the "Sickness" mission as a Goosebumps generator. 

(3) DriveClub: Even though it failed commercially, this game was a breadth of fresh air for me. The graphics and presentation were so great and gave a next-gen feeling back in the day (after the weather patch dropped). Had lots of fun during IVG sessions/challenges.

(4) Horizon Zero Dawn: Great balance between Action Adventure/ RPG. It is a wonderful new world and the night time graphics is bonkers especially when fighting fire bellys

(5) Spider Man: Very solid open world game and set pieces along with Excellent DLCs. Must play.

(6) UC 4 & Lost Legacy: Had awesome fun playing both of them. While UC4 felt a drag but if you love UC stuff (1-3... yes even 3), then that will not feel like a Drag. 

Lost legacy is a surprise though. Excellent environments and set pieces. 

(7) Doom: Had Super Fun running around shooting and ripping demons with that awesome soundtrack!. More so when you have your father in law watching while you play and wonder what is wrong with this guy.

(8) Apex Legends: First BR game i ever played (if you dont count PUBG mobile for a game or two) and got hooked on. Now not spending much time but can see myself going back and playing a few games here and there

(9) Destiny 2: Started playing this recently and enjoying the ride so far. Regret not starting this game back when it was given away by PS+. Can see myself spending majority of my time this gen/next gen on this 

Games(-)

The Order 1886: Had lot of potential and was looking forward to it. Became a dud and rightly so. IT just became a 5$ platinum trophy game

Killzone SF: Very disappointed with the story and missions. Graphics were great but thats about it.

MGS V: I am not a big MGS fan but i loved MGS IV on PS3. Was expecting something similar but was disappointed. Didn't event got a chance to complete it. 

Honorable Mentions:

Tearaway Unfolded: Nice creative game

Infamous SS and First Light : Good fun

Until Dawn: I am not into horror stuff but this one was great. Nice story branching as well

Sound Shapes: Highly recommend people to try this out. 

Hitman!

Other Good Stuff:

(1) Rest Mode for downloads and controller charging

(2) 3.5mm jack on Joystick 

(3) Share button (although it is slow due to sluggy OS)

(4) Console reliability - No issues encountered (touches all wood around the house)

(5) PS+. Always found good value for 30$ a year. you will definitely find games worth double its value in an year (if you are someone who buys less games)

Not so Good Stuff:

(1) Not enough split screen games .. especially racing

(2) Lack of Move Support games especially when you launched a new camera with PS4. They should have atleast ported some of the awesome games like Sports Champions, Everybody Dance etc from PS3. Had ton's of fun with cousins with the move controller especially in BOCCE and disc throw.

(3) Sluggish Store and in-game UI. Hope PS5 is the end of it all.

(4) Lack of Bluetooth audio support but i think this will continue even next gen.

(5) COPYING.. COPYING...COPYING for update files.

(6) Mid gen console refresh. Thankfully it didn't have 4k bluray drive, and hence i didn't find any reason to upgrade both console/TV.

2 hours ago, b!T said:

Ah, I forgot GTA police stuff. I do remember it. Last of us 1 had it? or 2? I played 1 on ps3 and haven't played 2 yet.

Last of Us 1 remastered. Haven't played much of part 2 though I think clicker noise comes? Am not sure but speaker do work for some games. 

Useless if you use headphones though. 

Unlike previous generations, this generation doesn't end! Just pick up where you left off on PS5! Huge "+" for me! 

My top 12 games of the generation:

12. A plague tale: Innocence - Simple yet splendid. I believe this game deserves to be mentioned for the graphics alone. I mean commendable work by Asobo. Plus sibling love.

11. Farcry 4/Primal - This is my go to sandbox for stupid fun.

10. Inside - The imagery from this game still haunts me. Especially the ending....

9. What remains of Edith Finch - It felt like living a book. I mean the narrative was beautifully stitched together with serene art design and music. It weirdly feels like my imagination working while reading.

8. Dishonored 2: Clockwork Mansion. Nuff said. Every arcane game is special, I Wish we had more games of this calibre.

7. Skyrim SE: I will randomly insert this game into every list till I die. This game kept me going during the toughest phase of my life(so far). The vistas and Jeremy Souls music are high art imo.

I still sleep hoping I wake up in Skyrim some day.

6. The Last of Us Remastered: No other game has managed to balance every aspect of entertainment as well as this. Narrative, music, story, characters, pacing, graphics etc. This is the definitive AAA game imo. Would have been in top 3 if not for the wonky gameplay.

5. Wolfenstein: Blazkowicz triology - Delivered some of the Boldest mainstream games(and moments) of this generation. Explored difficult themes without dropping gameplay quality and fun factor. Plus, shooting Nazis is always fun. Amazing dialogue and cinematography!

4. Red Dead 2: I am a sucker for stories in games and this game delivers plenty of quality character development and payoff. Something about this games world and setting gives me the feels, like I want to be there, with the characters, riding on horseback into the sunset. (I hate every other rockstar game)

3. Resident Evil 2: Yes! Now this is how you do remakes! I mean, f*kin uncertainty about them zombies and creepy a*s puzzles, people and settings. I still love this game for not going overboard with crass horror moments like all the most recent horror games(Outlast, RE7 etc). Resource scarcity wins all day.

2. God Of War: This is the only game that instilled in me, a sense of awe and wonder.

If you have not played GOW and you call yourself a gamer, then Shame on you. Don't be sorry be better.

1. BLOODBORNE: You grow as a person with this game. It teaches you to challenge yourself, while overcoming your greatest fears. This game transcends the medium. 

My worst/meh games: Every Assassin's creed game sucks @ss. Call of Duty is sh!te. Battle royales must die. EA sucks except for titanfall. I did not enjoy any of the Uncharted games much. Killzone was shite, Infamous was shite. Detroit tried too hard, until dawn was better. Horizon is meh meh meh at best. Many other AAA games were so boring I quit in few minutes.

Three honorable mentions go to

Dying Light.

Being chased around by them night zombies(ferals I think) almost gave me heart attacks every time. Some of the most intense moments of this gen came from this game.

Firewatch and Diablo 3.

Edited by kmkaks

Haven't really played much this gen, played a few, but the ones i played, i played them a lot. Mostly gamed on pc, so dunno if buying a ps4 was worth it for me or not.

Played on PS4:

Uncharted 1 - Fun.

Uncharted 2 - Great game, a must play.

Uncharted 3 - Another great game, no idea why a certain section of the fanbase dislike it so much. It's up there with 2 imo.

Uncharted 4 - Over-rated, boring, bad story with big loopholes. They ruined the combat in this game. But then again, they brought in the makers of last of us to "fix" it, he did it by making sure the levels had only a couple of shootouts at most in them. Some parts were still cool though, but overall, hate it. Visuals and voice-acting, solid as ever.

The Last of Us - One of the memorable games of all time for me, 10/10. Will prolly fit in my all time top 10 list. This is one game that made it worth it buying a ps4 for.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Disappointing. Even after killing Joker, they made him the focus of the game, lol. Hate every time he popped up. Crap side-missions with copy-paste open world structure, found a new side-mission, now go do the exact same thine 10-20 times over. Didn't mind the batmobile as much, but did they really have to include them everywhere? And whatever happened to boss-fights?

Gotta Complete the following:

GoW 3 Remastered - played half, then got busy. Liked what i played.

GoW PS4: Played 20%, liked it, then got busy.

Bloodborne: Same as above.

Spiderman: Halfway done, good solid game, gotta finish it sometime.

So, buying a 40k console for just these few games worth it? I dunno...really liked the Last of Us, though.

Also, my 5 year old nephew had to spend 3 months with us due to lockdown, ps4 really chipped in to help him pass some time. He loved Ratchet & Clank, Spyro and lego marvel games. So, am glad we got to spend some quality time together :)

My experiences of the gen, including those on pc, would be:

The Last of Us

Yakuza 0

Alien: Isolation

Bayonetta

Dark Souls 3

PS: Haven't played most games in the last 5-6 years.

9 hours ago, kmkaks said:

7. Skyrim SE: I will randomly insert this game into every list till I die. This game kept me going during the toughest phase of my life(so far). The vistas and Jeremy Souls music are high art imo.

I still sleep hoping I wake up in Skyrim some day.

Nothing will replace it and can play it anytime and never get bored. The world and exploration is unmatched. Magical.  :cheers:

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Nothing will replace it and can play it anytime and never get bored. The world and exploration is unmatched. Magical.  :cheers:

:cheers: Magical indeed. Glad to see you feel the same way mate!  

11 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

:cheers: Magical indeed. Glad to see you feel the same way mate!  

Hopefully Bethesda does it again with TES VI else we will be stuck with shitty open world games with shitty RPG elements like AC games. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

Because I don’t re-play games. Use that time and money to make something new

Well I imagine you've owned almost all the consoles and haven't missed any big games. Remasters are great for anyone who hasnt played the old games. Wish they would remaster (or even rerelease) MSG4. 

Edited by dylanjosh

^ Thankfully backwards compatibility is here to save us but yeah I really wish we get a remaster or digital version of the game “Folklore”.

Imo remasters mostly suck but remakes, if done right, are great!

• I just wanna be better with the backlog next gen. I'm glad there isn't a stream of games at release tbh, I need to clean the backlog. I own 20-25 physical games, and the only one I played the full game is RDR2. :fear1:
  • I've played a good amount of Apex Legends but its free, and its a BR so that doesn't count. With Uncharted 4, I'd watched the gameplay on Youtube at least twice. Probably what convinced me to buy the PS4. So it wasn't really a new experience. 
  • I've got God of War, Spiderman and few others in the plastic wrap lol. Will get to it soon.
  • I'm glad the one game I did play this gen was RDR2. f**king fantastic. Makes me wanna replay it now. (God no, I'd lose another 100 hours in that game) 

Remakes and remasters are great, ppl who missed it the first ime get to play the older games. Never got ps3, thanks to remasters, got to experience uncharted trilogy n tlou, same for gow 3 and Shadows of the colossus (missed it on ps2, yet to start).

Am eagerly looking forward to Ninja Gaiden trilogy now :wOOtjumpy:

I just have one word to say:- 

Bloodf**kinborne 

My first FromSoftware game & couldn’t have asked a better Killerapp exclusive for my cherished system 

Uncharted 4 was more of the same 

Just started Horizon lately but it’s obviously not something out of the world awesomeness 

Won’t comment on multiplatform games as they are not really associated with PS4 alone 

The Bad:- 

Having to pay to play online 

I know M$ is the real culprit here & sony had little option left but services remained mostly the same so I don’t know why this scam came to be in the first place 

Death of KillZone 

one of the most cherished & revered exclusives from PS3 & the only online oriented shooter of PS brand died a terrible death 

maybe it just had to be with games GaaS & battleroyal on the horizon pretty early on in this gen 

but still they could have given a little bit extra effort 

Digital really became big this gen. But this clip of Sony trolling Xbox's convoluted physical game sharing (prior to revamp) still stands out as one of the best moments ever.

Basically set the tone for the entire generation to follow.

• 1 year later...

Done with more or less all of the games in my backlog that arent having PS5 patch. Has been a great gen..so much so that I found it hard to choose my top 10. Below is my top 10 list, in order: 

Bloodborne: First and only From Software game I've played so far. One of the most frustrating but memorable and rewarding experience I ever had in gaming.
GOW: Thats how you do a reboot!!
Astrobot: Each and every level was so unique and creative. Makes great of use of VR tech.
Nier Automata: One of the best stories in a video game.
Yakuza 0: Like many, this hooked me to the Yakuza series.
Witcher 3: First witcher game I played and loved the world, its stories and characters.
RE7: VR took it to the next level.
RDR2: What an amazing, complex open world they have created. Arthur Morgan FTFW!!
TLOU 2: Tells an emotional story, looks insane but gets too dark and depressing at times, hence the lower ranking.
TLG: Unique and emotional like all of his previous works.

Few indies like Inside, Little Nightmares, WRofEF, Valiant Hearts etc - found them way better than many copy-paste open world crapola.

So many memorable moments:
Defeating Father Gascoigne after countless tries over 2 years.
That moment in TLOU2 :panic:
That moment in GOW :panic::panic:
Jump scare in Arkham Knight
Visiting Valentine for the first time.
Finding your way through those underground caves in Hellblade
Yakuza 0: Majima's intro
What remains of edith finch: Lewis's story
UC4 ending
Watching E3 2016 in a theatre full of ponies.

And many more...

VR has been a highlight for me this gen. Can easily fill a separate list for VR only moments. But the best one for me was from Moss, the first game I played in VR. After completing a comparatively tricky puzzle, quill raised her hand and I instinctively responded back for a high five, just to realise a second later that she isnt there.

• Like 5

On 6/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, Bauji said:

The first game I played in VR. After completing a comparatively tricky puzzle, quill raised her hand and I instinctively responded back for a high five, just to realise a second later that she isnt there.

imagine that you felt the high five.. and then you realize this while trying to sleep at 3AM. :naughty: :scarerun: 

I am also in the process of clearing my ps4 backlog. Might take me a while, should be just in time before the true ps5 exclusives show up. yet to give any VR games a shot..