Bungie's New Title?

TRMNTR

Bungie Countdown Expires, Teaser Video Unveiled

by Jeff Gerstmann

Bungie's recent teasers led to a countdown timer that expired this morning, revealing... another teaser. At least this one is a video...

The video, described as "the teaser for one of our current projects," doesn't really reveal too much, focusing on a lot of the same style of messaging that was contained in the text and graphical teasers that have been on the developer's site lately. Security camera shots of a futuristic city are shown, revealing a ton of what appear to be drop pods, or perhaps bombs, as the shots of the intact city quickly give way to one that's been pretty ravaged.

Or maybe they really are all drop pods, because the trailer closes with a shot of what appears to be a pod screaming at the camera, followed by text that says "Halo 3" and "Prepare to Drop."

So we had teasers that led to a countdown... which led to a teaser? Seems pretty backwards to me. Then again, I'm not really getting much out of it at all. Halo dudes, or at least the Halo dude who posted about the video on a Bungie fansite claims that the video is "staggering" and contains "a TON of information." I respectfully disagree, but then again, I'm not really up on my Halo lore beyond "the dude in the metal armor befriended some of the bad guys and blew up the rest, then took a nap."

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough? I dunno. See for yourself and decide. The trailer can be downloaded from Bungie and will appear on Xbox Live Marketplace "shortly."

Halo 3 developer posts brief trailer showing ODSTs raining down on a city in their signature capsules; is this the "Halo Recon" 360 game?

halo3teaser_thumb001.jpg

04odsts908_embed.jpg

odsthevcomparison582_embed.jpg

halo3teaser_screen001463_embed.jpg

HEV-ODST-scaled009_embed.jpg

Monday night, Bungie Studios posted a teaser countdown clock on their official site, Bungie.net. As has been the case in the past, it reflected the studio's obsession with the number 7. As the clocked counted down to 7:07 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, it flashed a series of cryptic messages, including "Obey Posted Limits," "Pardon Our Dust," "Proceed with Caution," and "Expect Delays." When the hour was nigh, the site flashed an agonizingly long "rebooting" message, and the posted a brief teaser trailer for one of Bungie's "current projects."

The trailer doesn't divulge much to the untrained eye. After showing a futuristic urban landscape, the camera switches to a series of what appears to be small capsules re-entering the atmosphere. After cutting to several shots of abandoned streets with gunfire in the background, the camera switching to a low-angle shot of hundreds of the capsules streaking through the sky above the city--which is suddenly wracked by a massive shockwave.

After several seconds of a black screen, a brief screen for what appears to be an emergency service transmission pops up, urging the viewer to "Please remain calm." A reboot screen then warns of "Metropolitan disaster!"and cuts to scenes of the same streets, now strewn with smoldering wreckage. A brief "Halo 3" screen pops up, followed by a ground-level shot of one of one of the capsules hurtling at--and then shattering--the camera. The trailer ends with the words "Prepare to drop" and the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live logos.

While of little significance to the casual observer, the word "drop" will have Halo fans' ears tingling. That's because the capsules belong to the Orbital Shock Drop Troopers (ODSTs, pictured top), the feared futuristic paratroopers used by the United Nations Space Command (UNSC), the human alliance in the Halo franchise. The ODSTs also starred in a series of gritty live-action shorts directed by Neil Blomkamp, would-be director of the in-limbo Halo feature film.

A side-by side comparison of screenshots from the trailer and from prior Halo games (pictured second) clearly show the capsules have the angular silhouette and signature drag chute of the Human Entry Vehicles (HEVs) used by the ODSTs in prior Halo games. Further examination of a close-up of the capsules (third) and Halopedia's schematic of the HEVs (bottom) confirms it is indeed the so-called "Hell-jumpers" that are raining down on the city, called "Lumumba" in one of the camera shots. Before he was assassinated in 1961, Patrice Lumumba was the first prime minister of the Congo, indicating the city in question may be on Earth in Africa--like the spaceport of New Mombasa in Halo 2 and 3.

Bungie reps declined to comment further on the trailer, responding to GameSpot inquirys with a curt "neg[ative]." However, the project appears to be the same game which Microsoft senior vice president of interactive entertainment Don Mattrick previously stated was set to be revealed at Microsoft's E3 press conference before being abruptly pulled. Described as "a game"--not an expansion--by Mattrick, the project was accompanied by the exact same countdown teaser and exact same reveal time of 7:07 a.m.

Though nothing is official yet, the title is question appears to be the "Halo Recon" project that has been rumored for months. A source told GameSpot in July the game will be "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War." Instead of following the Halo franchise's usual protagonist, the SPARTAN super-soldier Master Chief, the game will supposedly follow the exploits of a squad of colonial marines in a "less cartoony" and "more bloody, violent, and grim" tale of a battle between UNSC forces and the pan-racial religious empire known as the Covenant.

GameSpot will have more details on the ODST Halo 3 game as they emerge.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198181.html?...adlines;title;1

The bungie teaser was releated to the HALO universe,so this can either be HALO4 or a prequel to HALO where u play as another Spartan soldier.

Dude, it's neither Halo 4 nor a prequel!

That's 'cause the Teaser SAYS Halo 3...

...and the XBL Marketplace says "New Halo 3 Campaign Experience."

Date discovered in Bungie teaser, possible 1/6/09 release

halo3datenewf.jpg

After analyzing the recently released Bungie teaser with a fine tooth comb, eagle-eyed tipster LiquidThunder noticed a date in the trailer's "reboot text". The date, about 37 seconds in, is "01/06/09" which instantly makes our overly enthusiastic fanboy brains think, release date! But, as with the teaser itself, we aren't exactly sure what the date means. Let it be known that January 6th, 2009 is in fact a Tuesday and in the States, Tuesday is traditionally the day new releases make their way to store shelves. Keep that in mind and KEEP IT CLEAN.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/09/25/da...ssible-release/

Who doesn't?

I like the flood. I liked it in Halo 1. In 2 and 3 they werent as much fun.

The intro to the flood (The pvt Jenkins video) is one of my favourate gaming moments of all time. I also liked the Library. Although I might be one of the few who did.

Anyway word around the internet seems to be this might be a squad shooter where you play one of the ODSTs. Hence the phrase "Prepare to drop".

Archived