The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

11 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Same. Made good money, and lost all of it too. 

Simple - they are weapons of mass destruction. :lol:

Ooooh. What algos ? Where do you backtest them ?

I am a finance guy, from fundamentals to technicals and algo trading. This is what interests me. 

Generally with algo. trading, I do analysis on weekends, majorly breakout, harmonics and tracebacks. Come up with certain resistance and support strike prices for next week or expiry, code it in my python script and let Kite API do the execution. Majorly limited to option selling.

But the strategies for which I am not able to do due diligence every weekend (strategies are based on the above mentioned techniques only), I take up data from NSE/Yahoo finance and backtest them locally on my PC.

With the new SEBI margin rules, it's a very high capital game now.

Edited by kunjanp
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, adity said:

P/E can give some directional indicators but forpng term investing can't be relied on. You're essentially rewarding companies with old assets and high debt by looking solely at it. 

Totally, you can't just use one metric. Even EBITDA has limitations, many use it to hide low margins and high operating costs. Always better to keep all the bases covered.

41 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Ooooh. What algos ? Where do you backtest them ?

Haven't u seen the TV show 'Billions' ? I believe its what called quant or something ? Not sure, maybe I'm wrong & others can correct me if so !

I was into stock, like a month back. Had invested in Vodafone, Yes bank, Mazgaon dock. Told wife about it, how I bought the shares at very low price (except Mazgaon) and how I can make profit in long term.

She mind washed me into removing all the money and made me invest it in monthly LIC, as it will be beneficial in showing investment / tax deduction.

Had a secret and a short 2 year stint in stock market.... that's my entry and exit story. Don't think, I am getting back into stock market.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Animus said:

I was into stock, like a month back. Had invested in Vodafone, Yes bank, Mazgaon dock. Told wife about it, how I bought the shares at very low price (except Mazgaon) and how I can make profit in long term.

She mind washed me into removing all the money and made me invest it in monthly LIC, as it will be beneficial in showing investment / tax deduction.

Had a secret and a short 2 year stint in stock market.... that's my entry and exit story. Don't think, I am getting back into stock market.

Going to be honest with you . going with LIC might well be your worst decision.

11 hours ago, kunjanp said:

I am a finance guy, from fundamentals to technicals and algo trading. This is what interests me. 

Generally with algo. trading, I do analysis on weekends, majorly breakout, harmonics and tracebacks. Come up with certain resistance and support strike prices for next week or expiry, code it in my python script and let Kite API do the execution. Majorly limited to option selling.

But the strategies for which I am not able to do due diligence every weekend (strategies are based on the above mentioned techniques only), I take up data from NSE/Yahoo finance and backtest them locally on my PC.

With the new SEBI margin rules, it's a very high capital game now.

woah woah buddy, sounds very interesting, but complete n00b here .... can you explain that in regular people language , pls :P ?

Also, a general question to the forum, Can some good , kind hearted fellow explain the most basics of trading questions as below ?

1. Investing in individual stocks vs mutual funds vs sip ?

2. Tax implications of #1 ? And does it make sense to invest in tax saving equity funds, if your LIC+PF takes up most of 80cc ?

3. How to choose a mutual fund / SIP plan ? Right now, I do a google search, but maybe there's a better (more scientific way) ?

4. Heard from a colleague about something called Index funds, which are apparently the safest forms of equity investment while giving much better returns than FD.  Is this true ?