The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

2 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Wealth creation is a long game.

You can keep a separate demat account with a full priced broker to buy and forget. I'll jump back in after a correction.

12 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Why? Whats wrong in holding stocks for long time with discount brokers? 

Tend to sell if there is a significant amount of profit. I have an IDBI and HDFC demat where I dump stocks. Do all trading in Zerodha.

Like I mean it's a strategy. Sometimes you lose a low entry point for a specific stock and may not get that price ever again. Also I feel like it will be safe like I can't trust Angel Broking etc.

1 minute ago, kunjanp said:

How many stocks do you day trade with?

tried 7 stocks today. only 1 went right.  

part of it has to do with leveraging and aggressive SL. but if i don't leverage with my capital (which is  60% less now lol, just in 3 weeks), i won't have any meaningful gains.  

5 minutes ago, muathaz03 said:

tried 7 stocks today. only 1 went right.  

part of it has to do with leveraging and aggressive SL. but if i don't leverage with my capital (which is  60% less now lol, just in 3 weeks), i won't have any meaningful gains.  

Those are your mistakes.

Reduce down to 3 in a day and stick to them unless something extraordinary comes up. Research a day earlier to choose those 3.

You are running after meaningful gains and that's why using leverage and exhausting all of your capital.

Strive for gains, small gains are just fine.

Gain experience then go big.

You can't expect to make money quickly.

The market demands a fee, either pay by using your time or pay by using your capital. The latter will force you to follow the former after putting you through excruciating pain.

• Like 1

Just now, kunjanp said:

Those are your mistakes.

Reduce down to 3 in a day and stick to them unless something extraordinary comes up. Research a day earlier to choose those 3.

You are running after meaningful gains and that's why using leverage and exhausting all of your capital.

Strive for gains, small gains are just fine.

Gain experience then go big.

You can't expect to make money quickly.

The market demands a fee, either pay by using your time or pay by using your capital. The latter will force you to follow the former after putting you through excruciating pain.

the thing is, whatever worked for a few days doesn't work after that. everything is so random these days. I don't know if experience will help at all in such situations.

i've tried trading only 2-3 stocks a day too. it went bad as well. 

you were right about this thing - it's incredibly difficult with small capital. 

and researching a stock a day earlier? I don't think anybody can predict how a stock is going to move the next day. it's as good as coin toss. I know a couple of friends who did this way and think this is it. because of the bull run we had almost every stock respect levels and moved accordingly. I don't think that would be the case after a few months. 

or simply put, maybe day trading isn't for me and most people. I simply refuse to believe anyone now unless they provide 1-2 year pnl statement. not per day basis. whole two years.

6 minutes ago, muathaz03 said:

the thing is, whatever worked for a few days doesn't work after that. everything is so random these days. I don't know if experience will help at all in such situations.

and researching a stock a day earlier? I don't think anybody can predict how a stock is going to move the next day. it's as good as coin toss. I know a couple of friends who did this way and think this is it. because of the bull run we had almost every stock respect levels and moved accordingly. I don't think that would be the case after a few months. 

or simply put, maybe day trading isn't for me and most people. I simply refuse to believe anyone now unless they provide 1-2 year pnl statement. not per day basis. whole two years.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Almost every successful day trader researches a day before for scripts with good setup and only focuses on those.

For day trading you need experience in technical analysis and honestly, you are very naive.

Be it a bull run or a bear run or the market is just choppy, a single move might be random but being successful 60% of the time? That isn't random, that is reading the charts correctly and adjusting quickly on your feet.

I agree that many people show fake statements but many are legit. You just need to pay your dues, man. 

One of the most important prerequisites of day trading is investing your time, not your capital. Unfortunately it is not given much exposure.

You need to research charts.

Come up with your system which works for you.

Look at the efficacy of that system by trading with small capital.

You need to gain experience for execution.

I am in my final year (5th) of college as well and I started in my 2nd year. Saw huge red days when at first because I was naive as well, got sh*t together in a week and after 3+yrs I am at a stage where I can get consistent returns on my capital every month.

I still don't use full leverage, 2-3x max. 

My plan is to bring up my capital considerably by working for a few years and then give full time trading a try. I am still very inexperienced though.

You gotta invest time and if you think it's not for you then that isn't bad, that's just how it works.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

You couldn't be more wrong.

Almost every successful day trader researches a day before for scripts with good setup and only focuses on those.

For day trading you need experience in technical analysis and honestly, you are very naive.

Be it a bull run or a bear run or the market is just choppy, a single move might be random but being successful 60% of the time? That isn't random, that is reading the charts correctly and adjusting quickly on your feet.

I agree that many people show fake statements but many are legit. You just need to pay your dues, man. 

One of the most important prerequisites of day trading is investing your time, not your capital. Unfortunately it is not given much exposure.

You need to research charts.

Come up with your system which works for you.

Look at the efficacy of that system by trading with small capital.

You need to gain experience for execution.

I am in my final year (5th) of college as well and I started in my 2nd year. Saw huge red days when at first because I was naive as well, got sh*t together in a week and after 3+yrs I am at a stage where I can get consistent returns on my capital every month.

I still don't use full leverage, 2-3x max. 

My plan is to bring up my capital considerably by working for a few years and then give full time trading a try. I am still very inexperienced though.

You gotta invest time and if you think it's not for you then that isn't bad, that's just how it works.

I agree.  I'll give it more time. i should focus on preserving my capital for now.

• Like 1

So homefirst listed and went up as high as 13% but I was a little occupied today and forgot to sell it. Now at EOD it’s dropped down hard and closed at 1% high. At such low gain does it make sense to sell or keep holding for modest gains?

Also thoughts on Brookfield IPO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, muathaz03 said:

Stopped doing intraday a few months ago after profits and trades went no where. Started doing short term/ positional trades and made a decent amount (around 3-4k) with a small capital of 1L in around 2 weeks before market correction pre budget. Booked a couple of profitable trades yesterday too and could've booked even today but holding for higher gains. Would suggest you to stop intraday for the time being and try short term trading. Can add you to our whatsapp group if you want (both risk and reward is your own doing and I won't be responsible :P)

• Like 2