The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

1 hour ago, rushaboswal said:

Got some shares after a while.

Added kotak, Tata Comm, KPIT , and my usual SIP Basket.

KPIT is already at top. Should've waited a bit. 

Man, I had KPIT at 350 but I was just experimenting and only bought 3 shares. Thought of adding 10k at least in the next couple of days in a slight dip. The dip never came :(now regretting!!! 

39 minutes ago, dante77 said:

KPIT is already at top. Should've waited a bit. 

Man, I had KPIT at 350 but I was just experimenting and only bought 3 shares. Thought of adding 10k at least in the next couple of days in a slight dip. The dip never came :(now regretting!!! 

Not looking to bottom fish, i made same mistake with TATA ELEXSI bought only 1 share at 1600 and waited for it to reach 1400. Well still waiting :roflroll:

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, KunjanPSD said:

High growth companies where I am expecting upto 30% correction:

Rocket Lab

Planet Labs

Coupang

Upstart

Taskus

15-20% correction:

Meta

Roblox

10-15% correction:

Google

Amazon

Conditional: Interested in Tesla, would prefer decent correction but want to see future numbers.

I have a close cousin in the US who’s just starting out investing. 

currently, he’s investing equal $ amounts in top 20 market cap US companies and a few ETFs which track S&P 500 and NASDAQ, accumulating positions in these securities every month like an SIP

how would you recommend he can do better or should he continue in the same manner as above? His main goal is wealth creation in the long run (investment horizon of at least 10-15 years)

Edited by 0verlord

5 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

how would you recommend he can do better or should he continue in the same manner as above? His main goal is wealth creation in the long run (investment horizon of at least 10-15 years)

If he wants to keep it simple then put money into index funds, Vangaurd ones are supposed to be the go to for this with the lowest expense ratios.

Can possibly throw in an emerging markets fund + a china focused fund if he wants to mix things up.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

Vangaurd ones are supposed to be the go to for this with the lowest expense ratios

Yes, he’s investing in VOO which has a ridiculously low expense ratio of 0.03% and massive liquidity 

20 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

an emerging markets fund + a china focused fund

Any particular suggestions? 

54 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Any particular suggestions? 

I haven't done the research to recommend as such. Maybe @KunjanPSD or @Bird Bird Bird would be able to advise.

Vangaurd has an emerging market ETF that I'm aware of. For China I have zero clue.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 0verlord said:

I have a close cousin in the US who’s just starting out investing. 

currently, he’s investing equal $ amounts in top 20 market cap US companies and a few ETFs which track S&P 500 and NASDAQ, accumulating positions in these securities every month like an SIP

He is already doing fine.

Sticking to Index funds with low expense ratio like Vanguard's is more than enough to create wealth in 10-15 years.

He must be overlapping his investments by investing in Index and also the top 20 companies. So tell him to just check the weightage of these caps in the index and only separately invest in those that can beat the index in terms of earnings % (not stock price).

Other than that, some high growth fund which includes themes like Meta, EV etc will be nice or just emerging markets funds like JP Morgan's. It's a hit and miss with these funds, historically they don't beat the index but I feel now they might do just that.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, vinodns said:

When an MBBS doctor starts giving financial advice it's time to exit the stock market.

That's all folks!

If that's what makes you exit it then maybe the stock market isn't the right place for you in the first place.

May want to consider some safe solid interest paying fixed deposits.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

He is already doing fine.

Sticking to Index funds with low expense ratio like Vanguard's is more than enough to create wealth in 10-15 years.

He must be overlapping his investments by investing in Index and also the top 20 companies. So tell him to just check the weightage of these caps in the index and only separately invest in those that can beat the index in terms of earnings % (not stock price).

Other than that, some high growth fund which includes themes like Meta, EV etc will be nice or just emerging markets funds like JP Morgan's. It's a hit and miss with these funds, historically they don't beat the index but I feel now they might do just that.

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it ?

54 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

If that's what makes you exit it then maybe the stock market isn't the right place for you in the first place.

May want to consider some safe solid interest paying fixed deposits.

Just someone with a burner account.

No balls to post from the main account.

12 minutes ago, vinodns said:

Don't forget what I said before. You are talking about Nasdaq, a fact about it: I witnessed it falling 70% in 3 years.

Assuming you mean the 2007 crash. If you stayed invested in an index fund that tracked the Nasdaq, you'd be sitting on somewhere close to 10x returns today.

There is always a risk associated with any asset class, FDs too for that matter incase the bank shuts down. That's why you diversify your weath & your risk associated along with that.

If you don't understand what you're investing into and why, you WILL lose money. How you manage your wealth in the long term matters more than how you earn & save it.

A wise man once said, Mo money, mo problems. 

27 minutes ago, vinodns said:

I made a tongue in cheek statement which was not meant to be offensive yet you (a different person) took it in a totally different way and are going on and on and on about it. Stop giving me so much importance. I don't need nor deserve it.

Go back to planning your entries in mutual funds on a daily basis.

Good day!

PS: Don't forget what I said before. You are talking about Nasdaq, a fact about it: I witnessed it falling 70% in 3 years. There is a reason why no post is made in the Crypto thread for 8 days. The same will happen on this thread sooner rather than later. Last but not the least. Having the ability to read a balance sheet doesn't guarantee one will constantly make profits in the stock markets. Mark this in your journal. Bye bye!

You talk about Crypto Thread. 

Must be a regular of this forum, why not just post from your main account?

Well, don't answer that. Too many keyboard warriors on the internet. Keep lurking around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vinodns said:

When an MBBS doctor starts giving financial advice it's time to exit the stock market.

That's all folks!

This is uncalled for. 

It always depends on what other person is saying and not what their profession is on that subject. Did I not post with proof that NAV and timing matters!? You want me to show more screen shots as proof!? Unless you have any reason disagree from some so called "Expert" this statement makes no sense at all! Not sure what was the need to be rude to him He was simply replying me. 

• Like 1