The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

42 minutes ago, Felix the cat said:

Guys pls share your views on LIC listing.

Should one go for it or not?

As its imp to note IPOs of other gov. Insurance comp,Was horrifying.

but on the other hand this time its LIC.

I plan to apply hands down. Not only is LIC the biggest player here in India for the life business, their trove of customer data, 1mm+ agents, and a decent customer base are good reasons for keeping it as a long-term investment. If I don't get it in the IPO, then I may buy it on listing day based on the grey market premium or some days later. 

1 hour ago, Felix the cat said:

You are going to get a lot of different perspective on this one. 
Im not going for lic for ONE main reasons.

1) Government entity, most of them never make money for share holders

Also private players are now much better at selling insurance and also better priced. Might not beat lic offcourse but who knows?

1 hour ago, LordSpymaster said:

then I may buy it on listing day based on the grey market premium

Dont go with grey market premium, for such large ipo (Might i say gigantic?) listing gains will be minimal .

5 hours ago, Felix the cat said:

Biggest player. Tons of Indian trust it. No brainer tbh. 

6 hours ago, dante77 said:

3% down yesterday. 3% up Today. Sab barabar. 

Marvel Balance GIF

WRT to LIC IPO, applying is one thing and getting allocation is another. It's one of the most hyped IPO in recent times. If you have conviction in it then you're best chance is to pick it up when the shares are listed.

13 hours ago, SpearHea:D said:

My experience says indians are still risk averse. Many middle aged and old aged folks will choose lic over Sip/stocks. Plus the numbers of agents and their penetration in indian families.

Down the line things will be different.

Will definitely apply for IPO or get shares

The sole reason why LIC is killing it . Huge agents making truckload of money . In the end the policy holder looses. a policy my dad has does not even give 7% CAGR . Absoulte waste

2 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

The sole reason why LIC is killing it . Huge agents making truckload of money . In the end the policy holder looses. a policy my dad has does not even give 7% CAGR . Absoulte waste

LIC runs because some Chacha/Mama/Dada/Nana/Fufa/Bhatija/Neighbourhood ka uncle shoves it down your throat via blackmailing. I had a policy which was shoved down my throat when I got my first job I paid it for a couple of years and then just stopped paying the premium and will wait till it matures and get my pro rata money back. That uncle stopped talking to my dad because I stopped paying the premiums :rofl:

4 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

I mean they have payouts on the premiums too so he sure will be pissed. i have one too but its very low amount so i just pay it .

If the amount doesn't bother you then yeah that is the best option. But you could always stop paying the premiums and invest it in MF or ELSS much better returns. Heck, even PPF will fetch you better returns. 

Edited by SuperT

3 minutes ago, SuperT said:

LIC runs because some Chacha/Mama/Dada/Nana/Fufa/Bhatija/Neighbourhood ka uncle shoves it down your throat via blackmailing. I had a policy which was shoved down my throat when I got my first job I paid it for a couple of years and then just stopped paying the premium and will wait till it matures and get my pro rata money back. That uncle stopped talking to my dad because I stopped paying the premiums :rofl:

LIC might do great in future.

But I don't want to invest in a company which might undergo severe disruption.

As more and more of the younger generation start getting access to better and cheaper investment assets while getting more financially literate, I assume the LIC will start losing its current moat which is basically, distribution.

Again, it might turn out to be a multibagger but I have better options to put my money in.

11 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

Yep. Have a lic with monthly installment of 5.5k done by close relative. I would rathet start another sip in index fund with that money but relationship with the family member is more important so its very hard to say no. 

1 minute ago, KunjanPSD said:

As more and more of the younger generation start getting access to better and cheaper investment assets while getting more financially literate, I assume the LIC will start losing its current moat which is basically, distribution.

Again, it might turn out to be a multibagger but I have better options to put my money in.

Agreed. The future (not immediate future) looks bleak until and unless they come up with better products and investment schemes which can have similar returns to ELSS. Their market share has been reducing but I am sure they can always come up with better schemes and get that market share back.

15 minutes ago, SuperT said:

I used an LIC policy for showing change in address. Had a known, who agreed to do a 1L policy as starter, with a different address based on rent agreement. Used it to change my rental address everywhere afterwards. 
Stopped paying for the policy after 2 years or so. Uncle is still pissed. :fear1:

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, SuperT said:

If the amount doesn't bother you then yeah that is the best option. But you could always stop paying the premiums and invest it in MF or ELSS much better returns. Heck, even PPF will fetch you better returns. 

its a measly 5k a year so dont bother with it honestly. Has some insuarance linked too. 

51 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

This and the biggest risk is government. But yeah will be the most subscribed ipo in history.

41 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I used an LIC policy for showing change in address. Had a known, who agreed to do a 1L policy as starter, with a different address based on rent agreement. Used it to change my rental address everywhere afterwards. 
Stopped paying for the policy after 2 years or so. Uncle is still pissed. :fear1:

SCAM 2020 :roflroll:

1 hour ago, SpearHea:D said:

Yep. Have a lic with monthly installment of 5.5k done by close relative. I would rathet start another sip in index fund with that money but relationship with the family member is more important so its very hard to say no. 

Are you sure that it's Monthly EMI of 5.5k ? That's too much for an LIC Policy.