The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

4 hours ago, rushab oswal said:

Nothing , new mandate says cant have same funds for MF and Equity.

Damn :(

4 hours ago, rushab oswal said:

@TAZ Paytm money does have netbanking option , Coin doesn't ?

I think i can use paytm upi to send payment into coin account. Will have a look thanks :thumbsup:

Edit: Tried everything, Nothings working out. Will open a new bank account soon :fear1:

Edited by TAZ

2 hours ago, TAZ said:

Damn :(

I think i can use paytm upi to send payment into coin account. Will have a look thanks :thumbsup:

Edit: Tried everything, Nothings working out. Will open a new bank account soon :fear1:

Which is this bank not allowing UPI ? :blink:

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:53 PM, TAZ said:

Capital Small Finance bank. Its a local bank, Have been using it for a decade now just cos its very near to my house :P

On 7/18/2022 at 8:01 AM, Mr. Comingle said:

Might be wise to move money to a bigger bank considering what happened at pmc.

100% this. Move to a more secure & stable bank. These smaller banks are getting shuttered left and right these days.

With net banking and all you don't even need to visit the branch anymore so not necessary that it needs to be in the vicinity

On 7/13/2022 at 8:38 PM, KunjanPSD said:

That jugaad wasn't operational. It was a proposal by NSE and BSE via Gift City and only last week has started operations. Will take time to reach regular brokers.

I personally have only 3-4% in direct US stocks, via Groww. The rest of the 10% position I am building is in Nasdaq 100.

Used to add in Motilal Oswal Nasdaq fund but since it is not accepting orders, adding in Kotak's.

Taxation is much more favourable if you buy India based funds of Nasdaq. Premium between these funds and true NAV has almost turned negligible so no harm either way.

NAVI has lower TER but their fund size doesn't inspire confidence.

Since, PP is not investing in the US market anymore and MO has also stopped I shifted to Navi last month - US Total Stock Market and Nasdaq 100. Any reason other than the fund size that you did not go for them ?

Obviously they are very new but they are getting a lot of traction and what I like is that the US Total Stock Market fund is directly investing in Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF which is pretty good. 

51 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Since, PP is not investing in the US market anymore and MO has also stopped I shifted to Navi last month - US Total Stock Market and Nasdaq 100. Any reason other than the fund size that you did not go for them ?

Obviously they are very new but they are getting a lot of traction and what I like is that the US Total Stock Market fund is directly investing in Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF which is pretty good. 

AUM size.

You never know when things go upside down for these new fintechs. 

Not that anything is wrong with Navi, just me being cautious.

3 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

AUM size.

You never know when things go upside down for these new fintechs. 

Not that anything is wrong with Navi, just me being cautious.

Cool. However, if they do shut shop money will be safe but yeah valid reason to stay away. 

39 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Cool. However, if they do shut shop money will be safe but yeah valid reason to stay away. 

How will it be safe?

They are investing in Vanguard on their end and we are being provided with units of Navi's funds.

US assets aren't held under investors name by the depository, they are held under the names of the broker. 

I am not entirely sure if the $500k protection will be forwarded to the retail investors in this case.

41 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

How will it be safe?

They are investing in Vanguard on their end and we are being provided with units of Navi's funds.

US assets aren't held under investors name by the depository, they are held under the names of the broker. 

I am not entirely sure if the $500k protection will be forwarded to the retail investors in this case.

SEBI is pretty vigilant now, also yes I was going to point towards Vanguard but ya you’re right. But AMCs are very well regulated now and if even they go bust they can sell the holdings and return the money or some AMC can merge and take over. Franklin investors have all got back the money. An admin will be assigned to handle the payback. Also, post the Franklin bust the new SEBI rule says a Fund can be stopped after votes from unit holders so such a case looks unlikely. Having said all this of course there is always a risk involved with these new fintechs. Time will tell. 

2 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

How will it be safe?

All stocks with all us brokers are held in the street name of the brokers, while custodians have records of ownership of retail us and non-us investors under respective brokers, afaik

so, non-us investors are not at a disadvantage 

11 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

All stocks with all us brokers are held in the street name of the brokers, while custodians have records of ownership of retail us and non-us investors under respective brokers, afaik

so, non-us investors are not at a disadvantage 

Custodian i.e. brokers.

They maintain records of holdings and this is not privy to depositories.

In case a retail investor invests in US equity directly then you are safe because you only used the broker as a medium but if you are handing your money to a company which then invests it via their own fund and then if the fund goes bust, that's equivalent to investing in junk stocks. You aren't safe.

I am not sure if $500k insurance can be extended here.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:

Zomato - good buy at current levels? Is around 40-50 ish. 

Seems to me it's a decent bet for the long term if I get it now. 

If you're ok with the volatility in short to medium term then you may consider it. Fundamentally, they have a business model that will grow and expand. Hyperpure can be a gamechanger for the stock if it is executed well. 

I'd still not put all my money at once, but allocate smaller tranches over time.  

3 hours ago, rushab oswal said:

My personal view, strictly avoid, rest your descion. 

2 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

If you're ok with the volatility in short to medium term then you may consider it. Fundamentally, they have a business model that will grow and expand. Hyperpure can be a gamechanger for the stock if it is executed well. 

I'd still not put all my money at once, but allocate smaller tranches over time.  

I want to risk 5k, and might just do it. Damodaran says the fair value is now 35 ish, so might wait a week or so to see. I'm expecting another loss making earnings release so that may pressurize the stock further. Lets see. 

49 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

I want to risk 5k, and might just do it. Damodaran says the fair value is now 35 ish, so might wait a week or so to see. I'm expecting another loss making earnings release so that may pressurize the stock further. Lets see. 

Given the diverse opinion, it can go anywhere - 35 or 70! Since you asked for the longer term, I see it can do well.