The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

I have been googling and searching on YouTube as well for good index funds to invest in and have shortlisted a few 

This is my first time I'm investing in this. I'll be investing a small amount to get familiar with the market and will invest more once i get familiar with all this

Please suggest a few good index funds to invest as on date. Cagr 5yrs . 

3yrs is fine as well but i prefer long term investment 

Edited by silv3rgunn3r

1 hour ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

I have been googling and searching on YouTube as well for good index funds to invest in and have shortlisted a few 

This is my first time I'm investing in this. I'll be investing a small amount to get familiar with the market and will invest more once i get familiar with all this

Index funds are mostly stable funds and don't require much research, all of them will more less perform the same over a long period since they all are tracking the same index. You should opt for one which is by a reliable fund house with the least expense ratio. There are so many options you can't really go very wrong when it comes to Index funds. You can also check this out for more info - https://www.reddit.com/r/IndiaInvestments/

Edited by SuperT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

Index funds are mostly stable funds and don't require much research, all of them will more less perform the same over a long period since they all are tracking the same index. You should opt for one which is by a reliable fund house with the least expense ratio. There are so many options you can't really go very wrong when it comes to Index funds. You can also check this out for more info - https://www.reddit.com/r/IndiaInvestments/

Haan I've been following india investments subreddit but wanted ivg insights as well

3 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Long term investment is a minimum 7yrs, historically, 10yrs is even better.

3-5yrs is not enough for Index to provide you consistent CAGR.

Anyway, Nifty 50 is the market leading index which any novice can get started with.

In addition to an index fund, an active flexi cap fund will give you good diversification.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Long term investment is a minimum 7yrs, historically, 10yrs is even better.

3-5yrs is not enough for Index to provide you consistent CAGR.

Anyway, Nifty 50 is the market leading index which any novice can get started with.

In addition to an index fund, an active flexi cap fund will give you good diversification.

Awesome will invest in nifty 50 and will look into flexi cap fund

How are large midcap index funds? I see many good ones available 

All these will be long term. I don't mind even investing  10 years

2 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Awesome will invest in nifty 50 and will look into flexi cap fund

How are large midcap index funds? I see many good ones available 

All these will be long term. I don't mind even investing  10 years

It comes down to your risk and volatility appetite.

Historically, Midcap 150 has performed better than Nifty 50 (it's a largecap itself) but volatility has been much higher and sticking to SIP will be crucial.

Midcap is based on free-float mkt cap (same as Nifty 50) weightage so it had high weightage of stocks like Adani Gas etc. Such high weightage are kinda smoothened in 50 because of the composition of the top sectors.

So ups and downs are a lot frequent relative to 50.

I think Mid-cap would have performed on avg. equal to the flex-cap returns. But I prefer picking a more conservative-value based flexi-cap like PPFAS over this as my drawdowns will be much better protected even if the returns go through a stagnation period.

Edited by KunjanPSD
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Historically, Midcap 150 has performed better than Nifty 50 (it's a largecap itself) but volatility has been much higher and sticking to SIP will be crucial.

Midcap is based on free-float mkt cap (same as Nifty 50) weightage so it had high weightage of stocks like Adani Gas etc. Such high weightage are kinda smoothened in 50 because of the composition of the top sectors.

I think Mid-cap would have performed on avg. equal to the flex-cap returns. But I prefer picking a more conservative-value based flexi-cap like PPFAS over this as my drawdowns will be much better protected even if the returns go through a stagnation period.

Noted. Will look into flexi cap options such as ppfas.

Edited by silv3rgunn3r

On 5/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, KunjanPSD said:

Invested small amounts in uti nifty 50, ppfas elss, ppfas flexi cap funds

Let's see how it goes.

Question: Are t-bills a good option? Wanted to try it.

Edited by silv3rgunn3r

1 minute ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Invested small amounts in uti nifty 50, ppfas elss, ppfas flexi cap funds

Let's see how it goes.

Question: Are t-bills a good option? Wanted to try it.

Why UTI? Choose the fund with the lowest TER and decent AUM, history. Motilal has one of the lowest with good history.

I don't invest in ELSS so I can't suggest much there.

T-bills are a good option if you can get a good yield, afaik they were going for 7-8% recently.

18 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Why UTI? Choose the fund with the lowest TER and decent AUM, history. Motilal has one of the lowest with good history.

T-bills are a good option if you can get a good yield, afaik they were going for 7-8% recently.

UTI had better expense ratio and good aum ....so i went with that. Bad choice is it? Ah well :P

Edit : Motilal Oswal has better stats than uti. My bad i guess 

T bills indicative yield is 6.89,6.98 and 6.99 for 91,182 and 364 respectively. Is that good? 

Edited by silv3rgunn3r

18 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

13 minutes ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

UTI had better expense ratio and good aum ....so i went with that. Bad choice is it? Ah well :P

T bills indicative yield is 6.89,6.98 and 6.99 for 91,182 and 364 respectively. Is that good? 

UTI is a very good choice one of the lowest TER with a very decent AUM. 

18 minutes ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

No? UTI Nifty 50 is 0.2 and MO is 0.14.

Indicative and effective yields are different but check if you can find these T-bills on the exchange, sometimes you can score for a lesser price get better yields.

19 minutes ago, SuperT said:

UTI is a very good choice one of the lowest TER with a very decent AUM. 

Ya i made a call based on that. Let's see how it goes :D

14 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

No? UTI Nifty 50 is 0.2 and MO is 0.14.

Indicative and effective yields are different but check if you can find these T-bills on the exchange, sometimes you can score for a lesser price get better yields.

Ya i edited my quote. MO has better expense ratio. It's ok. Just to test out I've started this with a small amount+ sip of 1k pm. Will modify if it doesn't work out. Not investing huge amounts as it's only a start

I'm a noob here. Find t-bills on exchange? Where? :fear: I checked  on the coin app and mentioned the indicative yield rates

Edited by silv3rgunn3r

12 minutes ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Ya i made a call based on that. Let's see how it goes :D

Ya i edited my quote. MO has better expense ratio. It's ok. Just to test out I've started this with a small amount+ sip of 1k pm. Will modify if it doesn't work out. Not investing huge amounts as it's only a start

I'm a noob here. Find t-bills on exchange? Where? :fear: I checked  on the coin app and mentioned the indicative yield rates

T-bills have a nomenclature with which you can search and you will have to compute the yield based upon the original yield, time left and the current price of the bill.

Check this out: https://zerodha.com/varsity/chapter/government-securities/

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

T-bills have a nomenclature with which you can search and you will have to compute the yield based upon the original yield, time left and the current price of the bill.

Check this out: https://zerodha.com/varsity/chapter/government-securities/

Oh then I'll invest after learning a bit about it. 

9 hours ago, dante77 said:

Laurus labs dividend. Someone here is gonna get really rich soon. 

1.2rs dividend. Double taxation. No one is gonna get rich.

I will receive higher dividends from my investments in GNFC.

Edited by KunjanPSD