The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

I had one question, why is S&P 500 is lagging quite a lot compared to Nifty 50. I am thinking of holding my investing in Nifty index due to the high values and thinking of instead deploy it in the S&P index and increase my percentage allocation, is that a good idea?

Sent from my KB2001 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

I had one question, why is S&P 500 is lagging quite a lot compared to Nifty 50. I am thinking of holding my investing in Nifty index due to the high values and thinking of instead deploy it in the S&P index and increase my percentage allocation, is that a good idea?

I mean, firstly, as it says in the name, S&P is made up of 500 companies while Nifty is only 50. So your PF is relatively concentrated in the top Indian companies which are driving the economy.

S&P already had a quite high base, so not easy to provide the same returns as compared to Nifty especially when IMF has pegged Indian economy's growth at 8.5% for 2022 (higher than the counterparts).

At one point even S&P index value will jump, it won't be practical to just hold off the investments then and shift back to Nifty.

There is no correct answer here. I would say keep your monthly investments as it is (whatever your % allocation you have for both Nifty and S&P). If you want to wait for a pullback then you can but shifting to another market because one market is growing doesn't make sense.

44 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

Look at weightage of top stocks. It's mostly FAANG/tech stocks which dominate the index. 

Tech is on a bit of downcycle now (I guess it's just Amazon and Tesla in green), which is dragging the index. 

I mean, firstly, as it says in the name, S&P is made up of 500 companies while Nifty is only 50. So your PF is relatively concentrated in the top Indian companies which are driving the economy.

S&P already had a quite high base, so not easy to provide the same returns as compared to Nifty especially when IMF has pegged Indian economy's growth at 8.5% for 2022 (higher than the counterparts).

At one point even S&P index value will jump, it won't be practical to just hold off the investments then and shift back to Nifty.

There is no correct answer here. I would say keep your monthly investments as it is (whatever your % allocation you have for both Nifty and S&P). If you want to wait for a pullback then you can but shifting to another market because one market is growing doesn't make sense.
At the moment I am keeping my monthly investments as it is. Had saved up a few lumpsum amount that I was looking to deploy hence was considering if I should put it in Indian or US markets.

At the current moment my allocation stands at 50%-50% to Nifty and S&P. Usually people suggest much lesser international diversification at around 10-20% so I am already at a higer allocation compared to what people suggest and hence not sure if I should put more lumpsum into S&P.

22 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

At the moment I am keeping my monthly investments as it is. Had saved up a few lumpsum amount that I was looking to deploy hence was considering if I should put it in Indian or US markets.

At the current moment my allocation stands at 50%-50% to Nifty and S&P. Usually people suggest much lesser international diversification at around 10-20% so I am already at a higer allocation compared to what people suggest and hence not sure if I should put more lumpsum into S&P.

The growth story is India. I would bet higher on India vs US (or even China) for long term growth. 

Unless we are hit by another major catastrophe, I doubt many developed economies will grow like the growth in Asia. 

Look at weightage of top stocks. It's mostly FAANG/tech stocks which dominate the index. 
Tech is on a bit of downcycle now (I guess it's just Amazon and Tesla in green), which is dragging the index. 

The growth story is India. I would bet higher on India vs US (or even China) for long term growth. 
Unless we are hit by another major catastrophe, I doubt many developed economies will grow like the growth in Asia. 
Thank you, this does give me better perspective.

All this endless bull run ever gonna stop? I am getting scared looking at this euphoria. Have seen two crashes already and aftermath wasn't good. 

Just my time pass SIPs are giving 15% avg return. Not even been a year since i have started them yet. 

Oil,raw material, commodity prices, etc all are up at least they have some value. What spins my head is the endless crypto currency run. 

Edited by Bhpian Bali

37 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

All this endless bull run ever gonna stop? I am getting scared looking at this euphoria. Have seen two crashes already and aftermath wasn't good. 

Just my time pass SIPs are giving 15% avg return. Not even been a year since i have started them yet. 

Oil,raw material, commodity prices, etc all are up at least they have some value. What spins my head is the endless crypto currency run. 

36 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Tempted to sell. Must resist.  :nerves:

You only need to be worried if your stocks are running too far ahead of the valuations.

While momentum is good and produces great returns, momentum is always temporary.

But if you are into quality stocks, then this momentum is just short-term noise, enjoy when it goes green and load up when the panic sets in.

• Like 1