The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

2 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

I read they got some approvals from US/FDA . but management is not what they say.

Never understood the concept.

Approvals for an already congested space. This company fails to provide returns even accounting for the gestation periods this sector needs. I won't allocate any capital until I see some returns especially with how its management handles things.

Just now, kunjanp said:

Approvals for an already congested space. This company fails to provide returns even accounting for the gestation periods this sector needs. I won't allocate any capital until I see some returns especially with how its management handles things.

Hm thanks for the input. So CIPLA it is XD

6 minutes ago, adity said:

I did on and off. Made money and ended up losing it everytime. There are actually some solid winning strategies with options but you need big margin for that. 

Same. Made good money, and lost all of it too. 

5 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

Never understood the concept.

Simple - they are weapons of mass destruction. :lol:

3 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

I do. But not everyday, only when I am free for the whole day. Sometimes I just let my algos trade.

Ooooh. What algos ? Where do you backtest them ?

25 minutes ago, adity said:

Look at EV/EBITDA bro. PE is absolutely meaningless. 

PE is of some use but at the macro level. You can gauge how the company performs as compared to its competitors, relative valuation charts are useful. 

Plus, then expand on the concept and use PEG ratio instead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Same. Made good money, and lost all of it too. 

Simple - they are weapons of mass destruction. :lol:

I am a finance guy, from fundamentals to technicals and algo trading. This is what interests me. 

Generally with algo. trading, I do analysis on weekends, majorly breakout, harmonics and tracebacks. Come up with certain resistance and support strike prices for next week or expiry, code it in my python script and let Kite API do the execution. Majorly limited to option selling.

But the strategies for which I am not able to do due diligence every weekend (strategies are based on the above mentioned techniques only), I take up data from NSE/Yahoo finance and backtest them locally on my PC.

With the new SEBI margin rules, it's a very high capital game now.

Edited by kunjanp
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

PE is of some use but at the macro level. You can gauge how the company performs as compared to its competitors, relative valuation charts are useful. 

Plus, then expand on the concept and use PEG ratio instead.

P/E can give some directional indicators but forpng term investing can't be relied on. You're essentially rewarding companies with old assets and high debt by looking solely at it. 

24 minutes ago, adity said:

P/E can give some directional indicators but forpng term investing can't be relied on. You're essentially rewarding companies with old assets and high debt by looking solely at it. 

Totally, you can't just use one metric. Even EBITDA has limitations, many use it to hide low margins and high operating costs. Always better to keep all the bases covered.

41 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Haven't u seen the TV show 'Billions' ? I believe its what called quant or something ? Not sure, maybe I'm wrong & others can correct me if so !