The Stock Market thread

KnackChap

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

I missed it. I have been missing it since it was 1600 INR. :P

Haha, happens so many times. Now I look at some stocks in my portfolio and I feel like pulling my hair for not investing a whole lot more.

I am investing keeping 10-15yrs in mind so I have stopped giving myself some flak for not pulling the trigger at the right price.

3 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I only recently added to my UTI Index fund, haven't invested in individual stocks yet but looks like this is the right time to start if markets are down a little 

Why index funds and not ETF?

Also every time is a right time to start investing ?

2 hours ago, El Tigre Chino said:

Shopping day today. Adding to a couple of my small cap holding, will add to large cap positions too if the fall continues tomorrow.

If possible share small cap names. Will do a study ?

17 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

If possible share small cap names. Will do a study ?

Deepak Nitrite and Tata Steel BSL are the ones on my radar at the moment. The later I'll need to understand better tonight because China is making some moves with the steel reserves which are going to affect the steel sector in India too. 

I generally look at holdings of small cap mutual funds & smallcases which have a 75:25 split between small cap & mid / large cap companies for my picks, incase you're starting off in that direction. 

21 minutes ago, rushaboswal said:

Why index funds and not ETF?

?

Index funds are marketed towards true passive investors. Dividends are reinvested into the same fund.

ETFs trades like stocks and even though they have the advantage of catching the intra-day price trend (MFs can only be sold at the end of the day NAC), the spread of bids and asks is quite huge. Dividends come into your brokerage/bank account.

So for people who don't have enough time, they can just invest in MFs and forget. ETFs always tempt. you to catch the trend.

At the end, whichever provides you the lowest expense ratio is the better but if you don't really wanna sell/buy regularly then MFs are better.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, El Tigre Chino said:

Deepak Nitrite and Tata Steel BSL are the ones on my radar at the moment. The later I'll need to understand better tonight because China is making some moves with the steel reserves which are going to affect the steel sector in India too. 

I generally look at holdings of small cap mutual funds & smallcases which have a 75:25 split between small cap & mid / large cap companies for my picks, incase you're starting off in that direction. 

Im currently 25% large 25%Mid 25%small and 25% ETF's .

1 minute ago, rushaboswal said:

Im currently 25% large 25%Mid 25%small and 25% ETF's .

I've reduced my direct investment into large cap equity as I have exposure to those companies through my ELSS & long term mutual funds.

I'm waiting for ETFs to mature a bit more in India before I take the dip there. At the moment Index mutual funds & ETF offer almost similar benefits in the long term, for me the only edge MFs have is that you don't have to worry about market liquidity during redemption. I'm still trying to understand it better though.

Index mutual funds recent increased their expense ratios, maybe that'll help increase ETF adoptions. 

18 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

So for people who don't have enough time, they can just invest in MFs and forget. ETFs always tempt. you to catch the trend.

At the end, whichever provides you the lowest expense ratio is the better but if you don't really wanna sell/buy regularly then MFs are better.

Yes, thats the reasoning, less time needed and low enough expense ratio.

However I would be wiling to consider getting into trading individual stocks, trading more actively (in less volume).

Any recommendations on how to get started? I do know the basics, and I went into Zerodha to check some of the stocks mentioned in this thread, and there are quite a few tabs/toggles to understand.

Gonna have to do some research on these before I buy in 

38 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

However I would be wiling to consider getting into trading individual stocks, trading more actively (in less volume).

Any recommendations on how to get started? I do know the basics, and I went into Zerodha to check some of the stocks mentioned in this thread, and there are quite a few tabs/toggles to understand.

It's not difficult. Zerodha Varsity is great for learning basics but assuming you will be looking for investing and not trading right now, just buy 1 stock of a few companies you know, if it goes in red then search online, learn a little about charts to understand why it did. Same for when it goes in green.

Eventually you will start understanding. 

For long term investing, you just need to read through a company's status, how it is reflected in stock price and it is in comparison with its peers.

That's how I got in.

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

If you wan't to understand the tabs specifically then there should be youtube videos which explain it. The different options are a bit intimidating, but it shouldn't take more than an hour to understand what each option & selection does.

6 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

It's not difficult. Zerodha Varsity is great for learning basics but assuming you will be looking for investing and not trading right now, just buy 1 stock of a few companies you know, if it goes in red then search online, learn a little about charts to understand why it did. Same for when it goes in green.

Eventually you will start understanding. 

For long term investing, you just need to read through a company's status, how it is reflected in stock price and it is in comparison with its peers.

That's how I got in.

Yeah I know about that part. I'm only confused about the amount of options and toggles when actually doing this. 

4 hours ago, El Tigre Chino said:

If you wan't to understand the tabs specifically then there should be youtube videos which explain it. The different options are a bit intimidating, but it shouldn't take more than an hour to understand what each option & selection does.

Ahh yes, I'll do that. 

9 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yeah I know about that part. I'm only confused about the amount of options and toggles when actually doing this. 

Ahh yes, I'll do that. 

It looks intimidating but it's not. It will take you a couple of hrs to get upto speed. You won't even use many options if you are looking for investing and not trading.

50 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

It looks intimidating but it's not. It will take you a couple of hrs to get upto speed. You won't even use many options if you are looking for investing and not trading.

1 hour ago, El Tigre Chino said:

You can check this one out. Seems quite well explained. Drop a message here incase any confusions.

Thanks guys, will revert if I have any queries 

Portfolio recovered all of the yesterday's losses and some more.
Patience rewards so much.
Uddhav Thackeray to address the state at 8.30 pm. Brace yourselves guys!

Can be a bad next few days if complete lockdown is announced. Financial stocks will face the major blunt. Oh well another shopping session is in order.