The Home Appliances Thread - Poore ghar ke badal daalo

Shantz

35 minutes ago, codwapeace said:

If you are buying a new inverter you need to figure out the load you will be having on the inverter. Inverters < 1100 VA require 1 battery. >1200 VA usually require 2 batteries. >2200 VA require 3 batteries.

I currently have a 1400 VA inverter with 2 batteries. My whole house load is on it. 3-4 fans, lights, PC, TV, AVR, everything is on it except cooler, AC, fridge and kitchen appliances.

But, make sure to buy a sinewave inverter. Other inverters are useless and may damage your equipment especially those containing transformers because of harmonics.

Also get an inverter which also doubles as a UPS. Most inverters cut off time, while in milliseconds, can cause some devices to restart. I've a sine wave Microtek doing this. 

Some inverters have a mode switch at the back to set as UPS. Get those. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Also get an inverter which also doubles as a UPS. Most inverters cut off time, while in milliseconds, can cause some devices to restart. I've a sine wave Microtek doing this. 

Some inverters have a mode switch at the back to set as UPS. Get those. 

You must be having an older inverter. Almost all brands that I have seen in the last 6 years (admittedly, my sample is only 3 brands), have a UPS mode.

It is also possible that your battery is weak and needs replacement. I have not had any shutdowns in the last 3 years since I replaced my battery. Also, it is important to use proper gauge of wire. My previous fitting had thinner wire, which along with a long length was causing problems during switchover.

1 minute ago, codwapeace said:

You must be having an older inverter. Almost all brands that I have seen in the last 6 years (admittedly, my sample is only 3 brands), have a UPS mode.

It is also possible that your battery is weak and needs replacement. I have not had any shutdowns in the last 3 years since I replaced my battery. Also, it is important to use proper gauge of wire. My previous fitting had thinner wire, which along with a long length was causing problems during switchover.

Good tips, man. Can you run a 1200 va+ inverter with just one battery? I have a 1100 microtek one now, but would like to move to something more stable.

1 minute ago, Keyofx said:

Good tips, man. Can you run a 1200 va+ inverter with just one battery? I have a 1100 microtek one now, but would like to move to something more stable.

No, unfortunately. The 12 V cannot be efficiently converted to 230 V AC at such a high load. So, buy the biggest possible 2 battery inverter. The price difference between different capacity inverters is small. Most of the cost is of the battery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, codwapeace said:

No, unfortunately. The 12 V cannot be efficiently converted to 230 V AC at such a high load. So, buy the biggest possible 2 battery inverter. The price difference between different capacity inverters is small. Most of the cost is of the battery.

Damn, there's always something :D

Thanks a lot, and this probably means I'll need to budget in a second battery as well assuming I can use my existing single battery with it.

3 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

Damn, there's always something :D

Thanks a lot, and this probably means I'll need to budget in a second battery as well assuming I can use my existing single battery with it.

Don't do that. Not a good idea to mix old and new batteries. Sell the older one if you can. Or use it until it dies and exchange it with new one. If it is relatively new (around 1 year or so), then it might not be a big problem to mix it with a new one.

They have different aging characteristics, so it will age your newer battery faster.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, codwapeace said:

It's just 2 years old. Microtek 1100VA sine wave. Battery is also fine. 

No UPS mode though. The switchover sometimes causes TV and SPS5 to restart, hence got a seperate UPS for sensitive devices.

2 hours ago, codwapeace said:

I do have a 1600VA inverter running on 2 batteries but haven't ever tried running TV and Ps5 on it because those ports aren't connected. Load won't be much, if mains isn't on then just need to run the 3 fans, 3 leds and router. Only need to run TV and Ps5 till the time I can power them off, will see if they run on mine.

Also my inverter has UPS mode, do I leave it on that permanently?

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

I do have a 1600VA inverter running on 2 batteries but haven't ever tried running TV and Ps5 on it because those ports aren't connected. Load won't be much, if mains isn't on then just need to run the 3 fans, 3 leds and router. Only need to run TV and Ps5 till the time I can power them off, will see if they run on mine.

Also my inverter has UPS mode, do I leave it on that permanently?

I do keep it on UPS mode permanently. You can run them for about 4-5 hours if your batteries are relatively new.

UPS'es lost their value to me since Inverters have reduced their switching time so that none of my electronics turns off. Batteries last longer for backup as well as they have life of 5-6 years if maintained well. UPS'es would last for less than 5 minutes and the battery was gone in a couple of years.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 2:07 PM, HEMAN said:

Thats the main issue with that model. Return it and get APC BVX1200LI-IN UPS

Not available anywhere.

On 13/02/2021 at 8:59 PM, kkapoorr said:

It's a feature

Don't think so. Mine too switches the fan on once light goes but it shuts off pretty soon itself. Smell too when the fan is working, but it's fine I guess...

Got the replacement. Same issue. Fan starts after switch off for 5 mins. Shall i keep then :fear1:

On 18/02/2021 at 3:13 PM, playstationdude said:

Yeah, was getting a good price plus seller was Retailnet. Will get it offline only now. My earlier 1100 va APC was from Nehru place only.

Yours too has the fan issue? 

Yours too has the fan issue? 
After seeing all these issues I just upgraded my 1kva inverter to a 1.5 kva inverter and connected the TV and PS5 to it. No issues instantly switches when there is a powercut and I can continue gaming without any issues for a good 30 mins, I haven't tried beyond that because that was the max time of the powercut, summers/monsoons will be the real test as sometimes the powercut lasts 45 mins - 1 hr.

Anyone with APC BX-1100C UPS, do you have this issue? 

The UPS is giving off a very unpleasant smell. (Not sure if the smell is chemical, like Sulphur or just a strong plastic) 

Is it from the batteries inside? 

It's filling the entire room and almost impossible to ignore. 

14 minutes ago, VamosReva said:

The UPS is giving off a very unpleasant smell. (Not sure if the smell is chemical, like Sulphur or just a strong plastic) 

Yup same but not that strong smell,fans runs for 5 mins and stops.  After that nothing.

1 hour ago, VamosReva said:

It's a feature not a bug

• Haha 2

Guys, need a suggestion for 1200VA+ Inverter asap, should have UPS mode. Will be using with 2 batteries. 

My current one gave out and all I want is that it allows me to turn TV and Ps5 off if light goes out. Just need to keep lights, fan and router otherwise.

Not a specific budget but don't really need online ones, just the one which fulfills above requirements.

Edited by kunjanp

15 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Guys, need a suggestion for 1600VA+ Inverter asap, should have UPS mode. Will be using with 2 batteries. 

My current one gave out and all I want is that it allows me to turn TV and Ps5 off if light goes out. Just need to keep lights, fan and router otherwise.

Not a specific budget but don't really need online ones, just the one which fulfills above requirements.

@codwapeace Please suggest.

https://www.luminousindia.com/zelio-1700.html

Is this one good? Only things on the inverter will be fans, lights and router. And TV+Ps5 till the time I can turn them off. Will be using 2 150ah batteries.

Edited by kunjanp

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

@codwapeace Please suggest.

https://www.luminousindia.com/zelio-1700.html

Is this one good? Only things on the inverter will be fans, lights and router. And TV+Ps5 till the time I can turn them off. Will be using 2 150ah batteries.

Seems fine. But this is better if you can afford to pay 3-4K extra:

https://www.luminousindia.com/cruze-2-kva.html

This also takes 2 batteries. Most of the cost is of batteries. Better to buy locally though. It should be around 10-11K. You can check UPS mode before buying.

And, you don't have to turn your equipment off. You can keep using them. Haha!

Edited by codwapeace
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, codwapeace said:

Seems fine. But this is better if you can afford to pay 3-4K extra:

https://www.luminousindia.com/cruze-2-kva.html

This also takes 2 batteries. Most of the cost is of batteries. Better to buy locally though. It should be around 10-11K. You can check UPS mode before buying.

And, you don't have to turn your equipment off. You can keep using them. Haha!

Budget is not a constraint but space is. This one is huge and my mom's eyes will get sore everyday looking at it.

I will try to convince her, otherwise will get the other one.

Will just keep UPS mode always on as you said earlier, does that degrade battery life?