The Home Appliances Thread - Poore ghar ke badal daalo

Shantz

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Has anyone been using O general ACs or everyone just thinks that O general are great because someone else told them so?

I just need some actual review.

I do. Me and my family is committed towards this brands despite premium price. My current window AC which is at the top floor is gonna be around 11 years this year. Apart from basic service, no issues at all. And earlier it was just one room. Now it is room combined into one. It didn't break a sweat and is cooling like it used to. 

Apart from this, all other ACs in my house are General. Mostly split. They are all old now and all it requires is a yearly service. 

Even if you think it is asking too much for an AC. I would advise to go for Daikin or Hitachi (no personal experience, just heard good things form others for these brands) instead of going for LG, Whirlpool, Voltas etc. I have personal experience of using them and they may seem fine for a year or 2 but then they're gonna show its true colors. 

Let me say this once, no other brand comes close to General when it comes to cooling in an AC. Of course you can always receive a faulty piece for any device. That is just bad luck. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dante77 said:

Even if you think it is asking too much for an AC. I would advise to go for Daikin or Hitachi (no personal experience, just heard good things form others for these brands) instead of going for LG, Whirlpool, Voltas etc. I have personal experience of using them and they may seem fine for a year or 2 but then they're gonna show its true colors

Surprisingly my experience with a cheapass Voltas is better than LG. Voltas window does MUCH better cooling even after LG was serviced, gas filled etc. Been more than 5 years with each. 

1 hour ago, DinJo said:

Why do you want window AC it's power hungry, extra maintenance 

We already have space for it and getting a split fitted will mean drilling etc. My dad just doesn't like split ACs.

The one I am looking at is not far off from the equivalent split, so not much difference in power consumption.

7 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Got O general.

Not many 2 ton options in Window ACs and 1.7/1.8 ton are 3 stars with crappy power efficiency.

But I assume 1.5 ton will do just fine.

Did you get it online or otherwise? I need to buy one too as mine are going kaput one by one. Would be great if you could share the model number.

I don't know what is there about Gr. Noida air and gas leakage, this never used to happen when i was in Delhi.

5 minutes ago, blitzkreiig said:

Did you get it online or otherwise? I need to buy one too as mine are going kaput one by one. Would be great if you could share the model number.

I don't know what is there about Gr. Noida air and gas leakage, this never used to happen when i was in Delhi.

https://www.croma.com/o-general-bawa-1-5-ton-5-star-window-ac-copper-condenser-axgb18bawa-b-white-/p/235311

Bought offline after card discount for 40k.

14 minutes ago, blitzkreiig said:

^ Card discount is 2k right so effectively 41k, as it is listed for 42,999.

Offline it is for 42500. Haggled him down to 41k and then 1k discount from HDFC.

Very tough to haggle on price though.

Old 1.5T Hitachi, he will take for 3000.

Installation 500+gst.

Gave me free Onsitego service for 3 of my ACs, not sure about that.

2 hours ago, blitzkreiig said:

We never got our AC serviced beyond cleaning it for decades before moving to Noida. Now every year both window ACs - LG and Voltas - have their coils either changed (minimum 5k each) or welded+ gas filled (3k each). It's just absolutely bonkers how bad Noida gases are ! 

Refridgerator also had coil leakage. Crazy stuff. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

We never got our AC serviced beyond cleaning it for decades before moving to Noida. Now every year both window ACs - LG and Voltas - have their coils either changed (minimum 5k each) or welded+ gas filled (3k each). It's just absolutely bonkers how bad Noida gases are ! 

Refridgerator also had coil leakage. Crazy stuff. 

Same here gas filling + welding required twice per AC each year. Will changing the coil last better?

Just imagine if these gases can corrode copper coils what effect it must be having on our bodies. 

11 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Got O general.

Not many 2 ton options in Window ACs and 1.7/1.8 ton are 3 stars with crappy power efficiency.

But I assume 1.5 ton will do just fine.

Best choice. 

Also, It's General and not O General which is a common mistake many of us do. 

My in laws have General window Ac's and they are fabulous in cooling although my experience with Carrier Window AC has been equally good.

Mitsubishi and General are excellent brands for AC although Mitsubishi usually makes Splits only. Only caveat is they are atleast 10-20k expensive than LG, Carrier etc. 

Do let us know in sometime how General serves you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blitzkreiig said:

Same here gas filling + welding required twice per AC each year. Will changing the coil last better?

Just imagine if these gases can corrode copper coils what effect it must be having on our bodies. 

What we generally do is change coils - lasts a season, then get it welded+ gas filled for next season. Sometimes it might still need coil change. Coils generally last a season though. 

Primary culprit is H2S gas. Noida and GN have exposed drains all over the city. 

I have 2xSplit AC (Blue Star/Daikin) and 1x Voltas Window AC. 0 maintenance for Window from last 2 years, where as Split AC costs me 5K+ each every year in servicing with Gas refilling, Coil change, cleaning etc. I also feel Window AC cools the room way faster than Split one (though the rooms with Split ACs are bigger). If you can manage to live with compressor noise (just like a cooler) then go for Window AC. 

Been noticing a pattern with ACs among my friends and family. Compressors are tripping up from heat in Delhi.

Only ACs working are quite literally General and Mitsubishi.

My friend's Carrier tripped, heard similar things about Bluestar, been experiencing the same with Hitachi.

While the General I bought last week is running absolutely amazing and cools way better than a similar 1.5 ton Hitachi.

Gonna replace all of my acs with General soon.

15 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Been noticing a pattern with ACs among my friends and family. Compressors are tripping up from heat in Delhi.

Only ACs working are quite literally General and Mitsubishi.

My friend's Carrier tripped, heard similar things about Bluestar, been experiencing the same with Hitachi.

While the General I bought last week is running absolutely amazing and cools way better than a similar 1.5 ton Hitachi.

Gonna replace all of my acs with General soon.

Wtf ia compressor tripping ? Our LG, Voltas and Pana are working fine. Noida. 

31 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Wtf ia compressor tripping ? Our LG, Voltas and Pana are working fine. Noida. 

Compressor of the AC has a temperature gauge. The compressor can trip it's own supply if it overheats while the rest of the AC keeps on running.

I am not sure why, but suddenly people have started having these issues.

Not really at night but during the day.

I think it depends where your ACs are placed too. If it's in direct sunlight or not.

Whether it's a split or not.

If your AC is in shade the whole day, then it's better.

Edited by KunjanPSD
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...