What you bought this week - 2021 edition

HundredProofSam

30 minutes ago, TheMonark said:

2mm was available for 799 on Amazon I think.

If you want to properly repad a 3080/3090 AIB card then various thickness thermal pads would be required and some of them are not available in India/absurdly priced.

1 hour ago, LordSpymaster said:
1 hour ago, PSFooty7 said:
No they aren't. I used a freight forwarding service.

Cool, which one? Do share your details and experience.

In this case I used Buyandship but only because they have a China warehouse. Otherwise Hopshopgo and Shopandship for US/Europe.

I really did not want to order from China as it often gets caught up in Indian cutoms and then its a hassle to get it released.

Also Aliexpress will take your Photo ID proof alongwith a picture of yourself holding the card and latest bank statement! I was desperate as my 3080 was overheating otherwise I wouldn't have complied with such absurd demands.

The goods took 7-10 days to reach the warehouse and then some more days to reach Hong Kong. From Hong Kong it reached me in 5 days I think. 

For peace of mind, I reckon you should order from Amazon US as it is so much smoother. Buy pads during sale. Almost equal to Aliexpress price sometimes!

Overall cost was 5.5k for 10 pads of various sizes.

Edited by PSFooty7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rushaboswal said:

WTF? 

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Wtf:fear:

what kind of a stupid a*s requirement is that?

Well, to be fair I was using my Indian credit card behind a VPN so they blocked the transaction. Subsequently I raised a dispute and was asked for those documents. I can only use that specific card now to buy from them.

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

wait they don't?

why?

patriotic customs walas are still at it?

Until relations improve with China, end user e-commerce will be impacted.

One good thing with private couriers is that they get clearances really fast but do charge Rs. 300-500 extra as service charge. Also if your shipment is small and light (like the thermal pads) you are much more likely to avoid scrutiny.

Best route for overseas purchase is still Amazon US with Oregon billing address (no tax) routed to India. But the thing must be actually worth it to go through these hoops + 43% import duty.