Home Automation

psinide

That’s a nice design! Did you do it yourself, or is it from one of those model download sites? And what printer are you on, btw?
It's a model from thingiverse which I edited a bit. The slot in the front is to hold my esp8266 chip, it needs to be modified a bit further.

I'm using a Creality Ender 3 for 3D printing

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

World of difference in brightness, man. We were using the 20w battens before, and upgraded all to 36/40w owning to size of the rooms. 

Quite a visible difference. 

Interesting! Not too many smart battens in general though, let alone any near 40W. Here's another option, although priced much higher and without RGB:

https://www.amazon.in/Connected-Tuneable-Dimmable-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B08QH2FGF8

I think your other option are switches. Sonoff does some decent ones, but I feel like the WiFi chips @psinide uses may be worth experimenting with.

35 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

Interesting! Not too many smart battens in general though, let alone any near 40W. Here's another option, although priced much higher and without RGB:

https://www.amazon.in/Connected-Tuneable-Dimmable-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B08QH2FGF8

I think your other option are switches. Sonoff does some decent ones, but I feel like the WiFi chips @psinide uses may be worth experimenting with.

Rented house man. Can't really change switches etc. Got some smart plug points and IR blaster linked with Google mini for minor automation. 

20 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Rented house man. Can't really change switches etc. Got some smart plug points and IR blaster linked with Google mini for minor automation. 

You can try the Shelly 1 switches, they can go behind the switch board. I'm living in a rented apartment as, have put a few Shelly 1's behind appliances I want to control (geyser, fan on/off ettc)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, HundredProofSam said:

Deeper down the Philips Hue rabbit hole. Hue Sync HDMI box

1f2066083d864e79b5f32ef79786cd95.jpg
cf965ea637fa9fd3e52d52cbf2ca8059.jpg

Last piece of the puzzle: Gradient light strip (too expensive for now)

Nice!

The only thing stopping me from doing a bias lighting setup is we only use streaming apps for watching TV. And PS5/XSX will require a HDMI 2.1 pass through

1 hour ago, psinide said:

Nice!

The only thing stopping me from doing a bias lighting setup is we only use streaming apps for watching TV. And PS5/XSX will require a HDMI 2.1 pass through

Was just about to say this. Not being HDMI 2.1 ready could be a concern if you're looking to future-proof.

Edit: I just realized your on-TV streaming apps may not work with this as well. Hmm.

Edited by Keyofx

18 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

Yeah, the HDMI 2.1 thing is something I considered. My TV doesn't have HDMI 2.1 and I probably won't be upgrading for 2-3 years, 

And yes, TV native apps won't support this, so I'll either have to use the apps on PS5 or get a Fire Stick.

Or an Apple TV if you're entrenched in that ecosystem app-wise.

21 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

Apple TV is more of an independent device though. Not much ecosystem involvement there. And 18.9k for Apple TV vs 6k for Fire TV.

That pricing.. :D

28 minutes ago, psinide said:

Any one here using robotic vaccums? With so many extended lockdowns and restrictions on house help, I'm thinking of getting a Ecovacs Deebot Ozmo T8

I own a Deebot 500, but it's a model without room mapping and object detection. That said, the Deebot app is well designed and the build quality is solid. The suction on the 500 is solid, which bodes well for the T8 which is higher rated. I'm impressed enough that I'd buy a Deebot again.

39 minutes ago, psinide said:

Any one here using robotic vaccums? With so many extended lockdowns and restrictions on house help, I'm thinking of getting a Ecovacs Deebot Ozmo T8

Deebots are pretty good but I assume Ozmo 950 should be enough. Give it a look.

Deebots are pretty good but I assume Ozmo 950 should be enough. Give it a look.
I'm interested in the Ozmo pro accessories as well. I have 3 cats, and their toys etc are usually lying around, which the T8s 3d detect should hypothetically help with

1 minute ago, psinide said:

I'm interested in the Ozmo pro accessories as well. I have 3 cats, and their toys etc are usually lying around, which the T8s 3d detect should hypothetically help with

950 should do a good enough job of avoiding the toys and the cats but yes, for accessories T8 is the only way.

• 3 weeks later...

I got Viomi S9 last week. I was planning to get Ozmo T8; however, I decided against it at the last minute. The seller has increased the price from 43k to 51k in the previous two weeks, and many recent reviews mentioned issues with the fall sensor. 

Here are my preliminary observations of Viomi S9:

• I bought it for 42.5k, including 5% Amazon cashback.
  • It uses LIDAR-based navigation, so it doesn't bump into furniture and objects. However, it can get stuck on wires and small items if they get caught under the wheels. I have a three-year-old, so I remove all toys and small things from the floor before using the robot.
  • The suction power is good; however, it gets loud on the max setting. It is not good at cleaning corner and boundaries. There is a dedicated mode in the app for cleaning edges. It helps a bit but doesn't solve the whole problem.
  • It comes fitted with an intelligent water tank that has three preset levels for water dispensing. Mopping is okayish. It cannot remove tough stains. It would be too much to expect this from a robot vacuum cleaner. My maid can't even clean those stains properly.
  • It is also equipped with an automatic dirt disposal system where all the dirt from the robot gets sucked into the charging stand, which uses a disposable bag. It happens once the cleaning is complete; however, the process is a bit loud and lasts 10 seconds. As per the website, the disposable bag can last one month. So, it is an additional expense, with each bag costing around 150 bucks.
  • The battery capacity is 5200 mAh. It takes about 5.5 hours to charge from 10% to 100%. I am unsure whether it is on the higher or lower side as this is my first robot vacuum.
  • It takes ~90 minutes and drains ~50% of the charge for cleaning an area of ~1000 sq ft. I use a Y-shaped mopping pattern, which is slightly slower than the S-shaped pattern but more effective. 
  • Overall I am satisfied with the robot as I was aware of some of its limitations before the purchase. I expect it to reduce my daily chore workload, and I can do a deep clean every 7 or 10 days with a regular vacuum cleaner.

xabxmO6.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, psinide said:

I am still in the process of convincing the wife. Since we have 3 cats, she things its not going to be effective with all the pet hair..

How do you manage with 3? We have quite a bit of difficulty with the single tabby we have :cry:He wakes us up at 5 am everyday so that he can take a scroll around the house (if the door is closed) and then wants to get back inside at 7am for a snack and immediately wants us to play with him. 

But bitching aside, adopting him was the best decision we took during the last lockdown.

Leaving OT aside, any reviews for the Mi robo vaccum cleaner? Mopping is a nice to have for me, but not a must have. The Viomi above is out of my budget. I want something that cleans the fine dust and hair in the hard floor. The plan is to eventually get a Dyson that we can use for hard to clean stuff, but right now, want something within the 30k range. 

4 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

How do you manage with 3? We have quite a bit of difficulty with the single tabby we have :cry:He wakes us up at 5 am everyday so that he can take a scroll around the house (if the door is closed) and then wants to get back inside at 7am for a snack and immediately wants us to play with him. 

But bitching aside, adopting him was the best decision we took during the last lockdown.

Leaving OT aside, any reviews for the Mi robo vaccum cleaner? Mopping is a nice to have for me, but not a must have. The Viomi above is out of my budget. I want something that cleans the fine dust and hair in the hard floor. The plan is to eventually get a Dyson that we can use for hard to clean stuff, but right now, want something within the 30k range. 

Ours are all house cats, they don't go outside. We get the occasional unwanted alarm, but if we want to sleep in, we usually keep the bedroom door closed :) 

I've been looking at the Deebot 950 & T8. T8 was ~44k a few weeks back on amazon, now its at 51k :nerves: But both are supposed to be good with pet hair. And it also has the no mop on carpets feature.