Nier Automata spoiler discussion

So, I realise I'm late to it but I finished Nier Automata recently and it's narrative is just some life changing sh*t. I don't think I've experienced something that made me think so much ever since I watched fight club. 

The music was beautiful and everything but Holy f**k I wanna discuss the overall theme and stories in the game. Its f**king crazy how layered the game's narrative is. 

Now, I didn't finish all the side quests but the one that I found the most interesting was this rather simplistic one with these machines who didn't really understand the point of their existence in a war they didn't feel a part of. In the end, they end up killing themselves. It was just so f**king unexpected to see in a video game and pretty relatable because I guess most people have felt like that at some point. 

Now there are the main narrative threads which are all just tragic as hell. We have the machines and androids locked into pointless war just to get them a purpose for existence. On the way, 2B, 9S, A2, Pascal, even Adam and Eve are just collateral damage to the "greater good". 

At some point I thought why couldn't they just live peacefully but then i realised that fighting androids and winning the earth was just part of the machine's core DNA which just makes it all the more tragic. 

There was also Devola and Popola's story which I guess was a commentary on Islamophobia and racism of similar kinds. I just didn't expect something like that and it hit me hard. 

There is just so much to talk about, man. 

I think the overall narrative was about finding a purpose to existence but then all the key characters' ended in suffering and death but I guess at the end of the day, it wasn't entirely pointless? Pascal enriched lives and gave direction to many machines, showed them a more meaningful way of life. It all ended in pain for everyone but i think what he did was worth something. 2B and 9S were trapped in a endless cycle of death but they learned to live each other between all that. 

Also, what do you guys think about Project Yorha? I think it won't work out the way androids expect it to. There will always be androids who didn't understand the point of it all and who would eventually uncover the truth, some who couldn't take the constant suffering and loss and want to lead a peaceful life. 

It's been a very long time, so my memory would be hazy on this. To me, the game thematically represented the importance of having a purpose in life and questioning our existence. It's narrative is split on how this drives the characters in the game (their purpose fed by their directives) & how this speaks directly to us as the players of our moral choices of having free will. We often see the whole android gaining subconscious as a theme in games like Detroit Become Human and movies like Terminator & shows like Humans. We create these mechanical devices to better our lives and then question our choices of the dependence on it. What if there were actually droids built that gain knowledge and are made to enhance themselves on their own? make choices? Can we co-exist?

You see the first game decided to take this narrative and unfold the theme mostly towards the end. The start would seem like a normal father trying to save his daughter as the base of the game, but there is way more to it than that. This is what I loved about Yoko Taro's way of presenting this in his game(s). It's like watching a David Lynch's movie unfolding and leaving us with so many questions. Devola and Popola served a purpose in the first game which is more fleshed out than this game. Assuming you haven't played it, I'll leave it till you play the replicant/Gestalt title. Same goes for Emil (not sure if you found him in Automata). 

The first game's ending events are a direct result for Automata's Yorha initiative.

All that "For Glory to mankind" was a lie, when mankind was wiped off the existence long back. So this whole "war" on machines is nothing but the Android's trying to keeping fighting for a purpose as their original purpose to protect humanity had failed.

It's like a simulation of showing how our current society divides itself and makes questionable choices that may a.) lead to a serving the greater good or b.) our eventual downfall. It's an endless cycle, but the game is very clever in explaining all of this via it's different characters, their purpose of creation and the way their perception is on the game's world that is created. For instance, 9S questions all their decisions, 2B takes orders without any questions, A2 is sort of the rebel etc. Pascal's creation of a unique society is a representation of how a peaceful balance needs to be restored amongst this chaos. You can hear it in the village's theme, which is so calming and peaceful. They also wave a white flag (a sign of surrender) when we first discover it, if I'm not mistaken or something like that. I vaguely remember this bits and pieces. Then there's that mass machine cult suicide thing you mentioned, that was absolute an eye opener; very uniquely done and had caught everyone off guard. Problems mirroring the real world that we can witness in a game. 

This is one of those games where you need to open your eyes to how the video game evolution goes beyond graphics, gameplay and performance. It tells you a narrative and more importantly, it allows you to keep an open mind to having a discussion on it. That's why I love this series. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

I don't remember story much now. I played it at launch :fear1:

Why not play it again? It's there in Game Pass.

Though I guess it might be a better idea to play Nier Replicant first, as that's coming soon.

Both games are amazing and well worth it (Though I'm not sure of Nier Replicant's combat since Platinum is not doing it).

39 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Though I guess it might be a better idea to play Nier Replicant first, as that's coming soon.

Both games are amazing and well worth it (Though I'm not sure of Nier Replicant's combat since Platinum is not doing it).

I personally didn't dig the combat all that much in Automata either. Dropped it to easy after route A because I felt TTK was too high and the combos weren't that fun anyways. I guess I don't really like PG's style since I didn't like Bayonetta either. This game's combat is pretty much like yakuza for me. Filler content between the cutscenes. 

4 hours ago, roun90 said:

Naa i have platinumd the game. I don't go back after getting platinum unless there's some big dlc or expansion pack :P

On 2/16/2021 at 1:21 PM, Ethan_Hunt said:

Devola and Popola served a purpose in the first game which is more fleshed out than this game. Assuming you haven't played it, I'll leave it till you play the replicant/Gestalt title. Same goes for Emil (not sure if you found him in Automata). 

Great!! I thought I am done buying games for PS4 :doh:Nier:A blew me away last year but somehow dint feel like getting replicant, will definitely pick it up now. 

3 hours ago, Bauji said:

Great!! I thought I am done buying games for PS4 :doh:Nier:A blew me away last year but somehow dint feel like getting replicant, will definitely pick it up now. 

I played Nier Gestalt in 2013 and even with the clunky controls and dated visuals, the story and soundtrack were more than enough to easily get me through completing it 100%. Automata had an extremely fluid combat (typical Platinum Games) and was a much more polished game. So you may not have the same level of experience with Replicant's combat system.

From the trailers, I think they made some tweaks to the character models but the core gameplay and other elements seem to be intact. Don't miss it though. I mean this was the intro with Laura Bailey's opening lines to the game that sold me on it, :P 

1 hour ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

So you may not have the same level of experience with Replicant's combat system.

Whenever I think back about the good things of Nier:A, combat is at the bottom of the list anyways :) 

I thought Emil, Devola, Popula were just some random NPCs in the game, wasnt aware that they had a role in earlier games too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, adity said:

Keep playing

Started route B, damn that no save for one hour exists here also.. Died in the spot where his leg is broken, but now I have equipped HEAL chips so every enemy gets 5%.. would have made life so much easy in Route A..

23 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Started route B, damn that no save for one hour exists here also.. Died in the spot where his leg is broken, but now I have equipped HEAL chips so every enemy gets 5%.. would have made life so much easy in Route A..

9S works best with spears and gauntlets. The combat is a bit different since there is no heavy attack. If you keep a gap between two light attacks, it does a different combo, plus the attack you do immediately after dash is also different from the standard light attack. Also long pressing the light attack does a different attack. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, adity said:

9S works best with spears and gauntlets. The combat is a bit different since there is no heavy attack. If you keep a gap between two light attacks, it does a different combo, plus the attack you do immediately after dash is also different from the standard light attack. Also long pressing the light attack does a different attack. 

I always feel relieved when we get to play as 9S - he's a monster at killing even tough machines with hacking - hacking is fluid and gives invulnerability when you hack and with health regen chip, you get almost full health back after hacking a machine. enemies almost can't touch you with hacking combat. Only thing I was pissed at was the stupid soul box - damn that was frustrating - died at the core few times losing all the progress and had to re-hack all tricky ones - later I just ran all the way back after hacking the boxes to save game and then fought the core.

I never used a single melee attack with 9S - hacking all the way. after playing 9S and then switching to 2b or a2 feels so crude - having to take so many health items and keep dodging and mashing attack buttons