Mi TV Stick or Google Chromecast 3 ? + Basic Stick Questions

rawfiul

I recently got an old HD TV fixed and wanted to make it "smart"

Im new to the streaming stick fashion, i want an android based stick because of better app library (assuming)

1, Out of Mi TV Stick and Google Chromecast 3, which has better hardware?

2. Im aware chromecast doesnt come with a remote, is it used just to mirror the screen of a connected device or does it actually has an inbuilt OS that can run on it own ?

3. Can i used Mi TV Stick with app remotes? im worried about physical remote failure.

4. Do sticks need constant power or is there a battery system?

Thanks a lot. Please feel free to direct me to other streaming sticks if they are significantly better for some reason

Have Amazon Fire Stick. Its pretty good. One of my best purchases I would say.  Just the value of making an old TV 'smart' is immense. Unfortunately haven't used others so cant compare with mi tv and chrome cast. 

Has its own OS, comes with remote, stick needs power. 

Edited by dylanjosh

If remote is a priority, then go for the Amazon Fire TV Stick or Mi TV Stick.

The Chromecast 3 (the only one available officially in India) does not come with a remote and you will NEED to use a mobile phone to control what's on the TV. It doesn't have an OS of it's own.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:36 PM, rawfiul said:

I recently got an old HD TV fixed and wanted to make it "smart"

Im new to the streaming stick fashion, i want an android based stick because of better app library (assuming)

1, Out of Mi TV Stick and Google Chromecast 3, which has better hardware?

TV sticks have typically low powered hardware and will struggle to playback 10bit hevc videos. I would suggest to go for the Mi TV box instead. It has a powerful processor and capability to support a lot of 3rd part apps via sideload.

2. Im aware chromecast doesnt come with a remote, is it used just to mirror the screen of a connected device or does it actually has an inbuilt OS that can run on it own ?
I had the chromecast 2 and no it does not have a full fledged android OS running in it. Instead it supports a handful of apps which are loaded on the fly when you cast corresponding content to it. Do note that other sticks like Mi TV stick/ Mi TV box etc also have built in chromecast support. So they can do what a chromecast can and more.

3. Can i used Mi TV Stick with app remotes? im worried about physical remote failure.
Some of these devices can also be controlled via smart phones.

4. Do sticks need constant power or is there a battery system?
They need constant power. Usually plug them via usb from the TV's port itself. TV boxes on the other hand have a dedicated power adapter.

Thanks a lot. Please feel free to direct me to other streaming sticks if they are significantly better for some reason

Answers inline