Gaming, friendships and mental health - share your stories

HundredProofSam

Hey guys,

I don't think we already have a thread about this so I thought it might help, especially given the global scenario we're in.

I also thought of starting this thread because an ex-colleague is working on a story around how online gaming and gaming communities have helped people deal with mental health issues, and also helped people make friends.

There's a lot of evidence out there that gaming can help people dealing with conditions like anxiety, depression and autism. I personally know a couple of people who, through IVG and the people they met here, were able to over come their mental health troubles. So it would be great to hear some stories of how gaming has helped you or someone you know. You don't have to if its too personal, but sharing your story might help someone else. :)

---------------------------------------

Sharing below a message from Anu, who is looking for inputs for her story:

I am an independent journalist based in Mumbai and I've written for Huffington Post, India Today, Scroll, Mumbai Mirror, National Geographic Traveller and so on. Please find more information about me and my work here: anuprabhakar.contently.com.

I am now hoping to write an article on how the gaming community can be a source of support and comfort for those battling anxiety, depression and other mental health issues in India, where seeking help for mental health is still largely considered taboo (although things are changing, slowly). I am looking for people who have made friends through gaming - I believe multiplayer games are very popular for this reason as well - and think of the gaming community as a safe space where they can share their struggles. I would love to get in touch with gamers who would like to participate in my article and share their story. Members can remain anonymous in the article. My email id is anuprabhakar2016@gmail.com. If this article interests you at all, please do reach out and I would love to take this forward. Thank you. 

• Like 1

I’ve been on IVG for over 10 years now.

I can proudly say I’ve met and become friends with many users from varying backgrounds, age groups and cities even.

A few of them are very close friends of mine now, I’m extremely grateful to IVG for the same.

People can’t believe that I’ve made friends over the Internet.

Ivg <3 

• Like 9

Souls games gives me anxiety (with relief) which is actually great for countering the real life ones, one gets easily lost in these worlds.

And also a sense of achievement missing in life.

Souls games are difficult but still very accessible games for everyone.

These games really helped me for a year or two when I had a bad low back injury.

• Like 8

• HundredProofSam changed the title to Gaming, friendships and mental health - share your stories
7 minutes ago, harjas said:

IVG is where I truly discovered gaming, it all started with a TP post where a PS3 was being sold for a decent price, with that I started lurking around the forum and then eventually ended signing up. I was still in school when I joined the forum and seeing that most of the people here were older than me I started calling everyone bhaiya's (some exceptions like Alpha and all as he specifically asked me not to :P ) I am sure a lot of people shall remember this.
Slowly and steadily IVG became a huge part of my life, I was already and introvert and this forum helped me in gaining new friends, sure most of em were older than me but we were connected via a common ground and that was gaming, then from lurking at forums at around 2-3 AM at night to taking part in Delhi IVG meetups and then hosting a few and meeting some of the incredible IVGians I have had the honor to meet in real life like @abhi90 @Blueelvis_RoXXX @DishuBOSS @Rashmeet @ALPHA17 @sagarjalvi @Sackboy Rishi, @HundredProofSam, @nash and many more (sorry if I forgot to tag you :P ) to having some great BF3 days with @kold_war @piper to continue keeping touch with much of the IVGians an playing with em ( I am looking at you @Snake @spindoctor forscience, @Big Boss @Tyler @rAgHaV @Sach4life @dylanjosh @Keyofx @KJD  and all others from our IVG Group :P ) to last but not the least building my first Gaming PC, there are just a  lot of great memories that I can never forget :wub: and it is all thanks to IVG

While things may have changed, that bhaiya calling kid may have grown up, the fact of the matter is that those days will never be forgotten and shall stay with me forever :)

twitter depend GIF

• Like 7

12 hours ago, harjas said:

IVG is where I truly discovered gaming, it all started with a TP post where a PS3 was being sold for a decent price, with that I started lurking around the forum and then eventually ended signing up. I was still in school when I joined the forum and seeing that most of the people here were older than me I started calling everyone bhaiya's (some exceptions like Alpha and all as he specifically asked me not to :P ) I am sure a lot of people shall remember this.
Slowly and steadily IVG became a huge part of my life, I was already and introvert and this forum helped me in gaining new friends, sure most of em were older than me but we were connected via a common ground and that was gaming, then from lurking at forums at around 2-3 AM at night to taking part in Delhi IVG meetups and then hosting a few and meeting some of the incredible IVGians I have had the honor to meet in real life like @abhi90 @Blueelvis_RoXXX @DishuBOSS @Rashmeet @ALPHA17 @sagarjalvi @Sackboy Rishi, @HundredProofSam, @nash and many more (sorry if I forgot to tag you :P ) to having some great BF3 days with @kold_war @piper to continue keeping touch with much of the IVGians an playing with em ( I am looking at you @Snake @spindoctor forscience, @Big Boss @Tyler @rAgHaV @Sach4life @dylanjosh @Keyofx @KJD  and all others from our IVG Group :P ) to last but not the least building my first Gaming PC, there are just a  lot of great memories that I can never forget :wub: and it is all thanks to IVG

While things may have changed, that bhaiya calling kid may have grown up, the fact of the matter is that those days will never be forgotten and shall stay with me forever :)

Best Friends Fist Bump GIF by HULU

Nostalgic post :wub:

Good old BF3 days ftw bro :cheers:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kold_war said:

Nostalgic post:wub:

Good old BF3 days ftw bro :cheers:

Yes  :wub:

Waiting for Bf6 to come and we can hopefully we can recreate that same hype and fun again :D 

• Like 1

I remember IVG being the first forums I started browsing back when i was still in high school in Delhi only for the trade section and grabbed lots of PS3 games. Time went by and I shifted to Jaipur and then there was an IVG meetup in BBQ Nation in CP, Delhi.

Specially went Delhi to meet IVG peeps like @harjas and few more I don't remember anyone else sadly. Made some really nice friends and met them like @ACIDICBRAT @godspeed4476 and i remember meeting @Bird Bird Bird once when he came Jaipur :giggle: Sleepless BFBC2 nights with the IVG clan. Good old days :wub:

• Like 9

IVG been second home on Internet for me too.

13+ years now, so many memories so many friends, it's been such a ride. So many friends lost who don't visit IVG anymore, but still speak a lot on whatsapp and we still meet. It would be a crime to name a few and miss a few, so not calling out anyone, but you guys know.

True fact: I dumped my then girl friend as she thought i was spending too much time on IVG then with her :lol: No regrets!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

IVG been second home on Internet for me too.

13+ years now, so many memories so many friends, it's been such a ride. So many friends lost who don't visit IVG anymore, but still speak a lot on whatsapp and we still meet. It would be a crime to name a few and miss a few, so not calling out anyone, but you guys know.

True fact: I dumped my then girl friend as she thought i was spending too much time on IVG then with her [emoji38] No regrets!!
Lol