Getting into game developent...

gamer_adi

Would like to make a simple 2d game myself, which language to learn? C# OR c++.

Leaning towards C# cuz of Unity, but is it still relevant in 2021? Anybody knows here anything about programming.

Doesn't look like will be heading out for another year or so, may as well learn something...

1 hour ago, gamer_adi said:

Leaning towards C# cuz of Unity, but is it still relevant in 2021? Anybody knows here anything about programming.

Doesn't look like will be heading out for another year or so, may as well learn something...

C# is used very widely, right under the people's noses. If you are just looking for a hobby then C# or Java is just fine. C++ is for more granular control over hardware.

Obviously C# has Unity going for it, so it's a great choice.

Unity is best bet right now. Lots of community support and plugins which makes life easier. It has both 2d and 3d and can even deploy to mobile easily. 

If you want to go little advanced then Unreal engine. 

There are some cool 2d engines like Godot and libgdx too. 

20 hours ago, gamer_adi said:

C++ is a little hard for beginners (unless you know a bit of computer science fundamentals), C# is more beginner friendly.  C++ has a much wider use amongst other industries too.  It might be hard to develop games using C++ for a beginner but knowing the programming language helps if you plan to branch out to other industries in the future.   Learning C# is also a good as it has other applications outside of games too (for ex: backend web dev, desktop app dev etc).

regarding game engines, unity is quite popular I guess, but there's godot game engine as well, which is gaining lot of traction amongst 2D/beginner game developers.  I think its open source and free to download.  It has a good community and some of the guys (whose video game devlogs I used to watch), have switched over from unity to godot.  Apparently unity is too bloated now for beginner game devs.  I think godot supports C#, but has its own scripting language as well. 

18 hours ago, gamer_adi said:

C# it is then, already have taken the courses on udemy from before, let's see where i am after a month.

SO would this be your first ever programming language  you are learning or you already are familiar with any other programming language(like C, Java etc)

The reason i ask is if you are already familiar with any other programming language and the OOPS concepts, then you can straight away start sample 2D game dev using Unity and learn C# usage with in the same.  Of course its always good to learn the language in and out first and then switch to game dev but if you already are familiar with development concepts, i would recommend to wing it directly by taking a Unity Beginners course in udemy. 

This will just save some time and save you from going through vast majority of C# concepts when in reality you wouldn't be using them in Unity.

Seems like this is a good place to ask.

I really like the technical side of gaming, aka game engines. I've worked with OpenGL before to make a small 2D game but it was quite basic. I basically want to develop a modern game engine in my spare time with modern techniques like PBR shaders, GI, perhaps even ray tracing. The main objective would be learning with hands on practice.

What's the best place for a deep dive? Perhaps a nice book recommendation? I'll be ok with getting my hands dirty in terms of math or programming principles.

11 hours ago, Ne0 said:

C++ is a little hard for beginners (unless you know a bit of computer science fundamentals), C# is more beginner friendly.  C++ has a much wider use amongst other industries too.  It might be hard to develop games using C++ for a beginner but knowing the programming language helps if you plan to branch out to other industries in the future.   Learning C# is also a good as it has other applications outside of games too (for ex: backend web dev, desktop app dev etc).

regarding game engines, unity is quite popular I guess, but there's godot game engine as well, which is gaining lot of traction amongst 2D/beginner game developers.  I think its open source and free to download.  It has a good community and some of the guys (whose video game devlogs I used to watch), have switched over from unity to godot.  Apparently unity is too bloated now for beginner game devs.  I think godot supports C#, but has its own scripting language as well. 

11 hours ago, Pacifier said:

SO would this be your first ever programming language  you are learning or you already are familiar with any other programming language(like C, Java etc)

The reason i ask is if you are already familiar with any other programming language and the OOPS concepts, then you can straight away start sample 2D game dev using Unity and learn C# usage with in the same.  Of course its always good to learn the language in and out first and then switch to game dev but if you already are familiar with development concepts, i would recommend to wing it directly by taking a Unity Beginners course in udemy. 

This will just save some time and save you from going through vast majority of C# concepts when in reality you wouldn't be using them in Unity.

I don't want to delve in godot right now, already did parts of c# last year, all beginner stuff, but then got distracted with other stuff. Would like to see it through.

And ya, this is my first ever language, not really familiar, am just planning to learn the C#, work on simple projects, as practice, and then dive into unity later this year. Am gonna give it 3 months to learning and practicing C#, already know photoshop, after effects, can draw a bit. Most of the issues with using these softwares comes from lack of constant practice. I learn and then move on. Will need to refresh on all of them. I am told a combination of C#/Unity-Photoshop-Blender is enough to make something semi-decent. And that's what am planning to do over the next 6 months. Obvsly, will know in a couple of months how much programming i can actually understand.

1 hour ago, rushaboswal said:

Also check out unreal engine blueprint. Quite simple but can create wonderful things.

Will, do.

11 hours ago, Aloy said:

Seems like this is a good place to ask.

I really like the technical side of gaming, aka game engines. I've worked with OpenGL before to make a small 2D game but it was quite basic. I basically want to develop a modern game engine in my spare time with modern techniques like PBR shaders, GI, perhaps even ray tracing. The main objective would be learning with hands on practice.

What's the best place for a deep dive? Perhaps a nice book recommendation? I'll be ok with getting my hands dirty in terms of math or programming principles.

if you want to try it hands on, you can start with doom3 engine which is open sourced now : https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG

I'm no expert in this, but long time ago, I tried to dabble in the same, and found this book quite informative : https://www.gameenginebook.com/

Also, there's this yt series of creating a game engine in C++ from scratch : 

• Thanks 1

^^ Thanks! That book looks pretty great. Although making an engine is a daunting task, it's also so satisfying. TBH I'm not a good programmer lol but I'll see how far I can go with this.