Laptop issues...Acer Nitro 5

gamer_adi

Sound stutters and cackles after playing for a while, usually 10-20 mins, and game also starts stuttering.

Last year, the lappy ran fine. Don't game as much on it, have played mostly on ps4 these last 8-9 months.

First time i noticed it is when i tried playing Resident Evil 7 3-4 months back. Thought the system's getting old. So didn't think much of it and got busy on ps4. Recently, tried playing a couple of indies (Inside, Firewatch), same issue. Went back to games that ran fine on it earlier, same issue persists.

Pretty annoying having to quit every 15 mins to get rid of the problem. Now, my lappy has served me well these last four years when i was away from home, not looking to change it anytime soon.

The only thing i can think of is that i got rid of Realtek Audio (default) bcuz it refuses to detect my headphones since a windows update early last year. Use Microsoft HD Audio device instead, which gives me incompatibility warnings when i go to install it. 

Somebody help!

Did you try reinstalling the GPU drivers ?

if it fixes itself as soon as you restart the game then it's probably not a hardware issue.

Edited by ModularS

I read up on it online, CPUID tells me that the cpu temp rises upto 90+ degrees, and that's what's throttling the laptop. Then i realized i haven' heard the fan noise for a few months now. It seems i will have to open it up and clean it, prolly dust has accumulated inside. Haven't done it before, too scared to do it myself, can't risk losing my pc in this pandemic.

• 4 weeks later...

U can open it up. Its not a big issue. But always take care in holding the blades by either taping it or putting a qtip in between the blades. Then brush away with a toothbrush. Do not use vaccum cleaner or blower. It tends to build static. This can damage the motherboard.