Can gaming continue catering to middle aged gamers?

When God Of War hit the PS4, it was almost immediately colloquially called “Dad Of War”. It was an obvious and striking touch point that resonated with gamers because many of the gamers who were most familiar with God Of War were, themselves, now dads. But the sharp focus on “dad hood” left me with an earnest question:

“Are kids going to want to play this?’  ringtone free 

It’s not just God Of War that has been leaning toward focusing on middle aged gamers and middle aged issues. Games have been trending toward becoming easier, less time consuming, and less brain-intensive. Common criticisms of modern games are “I just want to relax”, “I don’t want to have to think”, “I don’t have that much time to play”, etc.

This is SHARPLY in contrast to the way games used to be made when they were catering toward a younger audience. And, possibly because of that, the younger audience seems to be leaving to play games like Fortnite and Minecraft which, rather notably, receive relatively little attention from mainstream games media and do not cater to the qualities older gamers see, to demand from games.

My question is, “how long can games keep ‘aging up’”? Forever? Are mainstream games going to start catering to players with arthritis and dementia? Meanwhile the younger players continue to move away from “core gaming” into other arenas that we don’t consider “real games”?

free game sounds: https://ringtonesfree.info/games

Edited by HarryJS
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HarryJS said:

When God Of War hit the PS4, it was almost immediately colloquially called “Dad Of War”. It was an obvious and striking touch point that resonated with gamers because many of the gamers who were most familiar with God Of War were, themselves, now dads. But the sharp focus on “dad hood” left me with an earnest question:

“Are kids going to want to play this?’

It’s not just God Of War that has been leaning toward focusing on middle aged gamers and middle aged issues. Games have been trending toward becoming easier, less time consuming, and less brain-intensive. Common criticisms of modern games are “I just want to relax”, “I don’t want to have to think”, “I don’t have that much time to play”, etc.

This is SHARPLY in contrast to the way games used to be made when they were catering toward a younger audience. And, possibly because of that, the younger audience seems to be leaving to play games like Fortnite and Minecraft which, rather notably, receive relatively little attention from mainstream games media and do not cater to the qualities older gamers see, to demand from games.

My question is, “how long can games keep ‘aging up’”? Forever? Are mainstream games going to start catering to players with arthritis and dementia? Meanwhile the younger players continue to move away from “core gaming” into other arenas that we don’t consider “real games”?

play God of War on Give Me God of War mode. It is tough as nails and will easily break mortals' backs. You can also try Doom Eternal on Nightmare mode, Returnal, Cuphead, From Software games etc. Several mainstream games still exist with super challenging difficulty.

Not to mention an entire genre - Soulsborne. 

It depends on the type of games you want to play. There's enough variety for everyone. And what's wrong in making games cater to people with physical/mental ailments? Inclusiveness and accessibility is a welcome change. It does not mean that the game is dumbed down, it just means that there are mechanisms for differently abled folks to enjoy it as well. 

On 6/22/2021 at 1:35 PM, Vaibhavp said:

Excellent points.

I am baffled by how most annoying console warriors are in 40s and even 50s.

Mature people shouldn't be behaving in such way. But what do I know?

Exactly, championing relentlessly for your favorite console well into your 40s and 50s is kinda stupid. Most of them earn well enough to buy both consoles and enjoy what they have to offer. 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:47 AM, HarryJS said:

“Are kids going to want to play this?’  ringtone free 

free game sounds: https://ringtonesfree.info/games

From Software says hi! 

Younger audiences are gravitating towards fortnite as such games are free to play, and are accessible. You just need a mobile now to access such games. 

Games like TLOU2 and ratchet and clank cater to all generations.