PS5 Remote play tested across platforms - Thoughts and couple of questions

Remote play may not be a much used feature by many users- but for some of us (especially the older folks) , it is an absolute must have - specifically for LAN play.

In fact it is thanks to remote play that I have been able to keep playing - The only real time I get to game is late at night after the kid goes to sleep and its a lot easier to continue on a remote device in the same room instead of switching on the TV. In fact most games I have finished in recent years have been completed 75% over remote play :)

Over the last 1 month, I have been testing / using RP on PS5 extensively with all major platforms including Android, iOS, iPad OS , Windows and Mac OS 

The good news is that Remote Play has improved  drastically over the PS4. I saw very few instances of frame drops/ latency compared to the old gen unit (keep in mind that I do not have a PS4 Pro so this comparison is purely against the original fat PS4)

The bad news is that the resolution is capped at 1080p although HDR support is there - and works as expected.

In addition, the UX varies considerably by platform.

The game used for testing was TLOU2 which runs at 4K 60fps HDR on the PS5

iOS (7/10)- Works well with both DS4 and Dualsense. Both devices are recognized correctly. Frame rates are fluid and while there is no way to actually check the fps, it appears to be definitely close to 60 fps than 30 fps. 

Mac OS (4/10)- The app seems unoptimized. The frame rates are inconsistent with regular choppiness. The only saving grace is that the DUalsense is recognized correctly over both BT and wired connection

iPad OS (9/10)- This is my preferred method as the experience is almost as good as local play. The The rendering quality is fantastic and  framerates are very close to 60fps or probably hitting  60. No choppiness/ frame drops at all - And HDR works too! 

Controller latency is there but its small enough to work very well for arcade games as well as Third Person shooters like TLOU2 . May however be an issue with FPS games.

The only bummer is that for some reason, Dualsense is not recognized with a wired (USB-C to USB-C) connection and works only via BT. The DS4 otoh works fine wired as well.

Windows (7/10) - Very good experience. Framerates are solid and latency is at par with ipad.

However I could not get HDR for some reason - and the controller works only in wired mode.

Android (1/10) - Caveat - this could be an issue with my device as Android 10 devices are supposed to support the PS controllers. Unfortunately I could not get the PS remote play app on  Android 10 phone to recognize either the PS4 or PS5 controller in either wireless or wired mode.

I did however try a third party (paid) app called PSplay. The app worked as expected with DS4 but I could not get the DS5 to work. I did not test enough to have a view on how the framerate/ rendering quality/ experience is

Two Questions:

a) Would really appreciate if someone with a dualsense and ipad (any model with USB C port) could try and check if their controller works in wired mode. While the wireless mode is fine, the Dualsense cannot retain two BT connections which means I need to pair/ unpair each time I want to use it with the ipad.

b) Android 10 users - Are you able to get a Dualsense or even DS4 working with remote play?

Edited by superczar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Been thinking about using RP for a bit. Same issue as yours - only time is at night when kids go to sleep (or their grandparents house :lol:). 

I've an old iPad with lightning connector, so can't check usb c. But your post has given enough confidence to at least check out RP on iPadOS. 

I’ve been using remote play on Series X through my IPad.Played a lot of Nier and Medium through RP, and the experience was nice, barely any lag or dip in quality. I also tried FIFA but the input lag was a little noticeable on it. It’s a great feature since I’m at home right now and nephews/nieces hog the TV for long periods.

Edit :- Tried remote play with ps5 today, works just as well. I could only pair dual sense with iPad via Bluetooth, took like 3-4 seconds, takes a little longer with the series x controller, played Last of us 2, only noticed dips in network for a few seconds here and there.

It was a much better experience than I had on my PS4 but I think that was due to my shitty internet at that time.

• 7 months later...

Just an update after the 4.5 upgrade for PS remote play app. I am currently using it for Horizon Forbidden west

• The iPad continues to be the best candidate for remote play. The resolution is excellent, no macro blocks noticeable. HDR works but with minor caveats. The only (and big ) bummer is lack of haptics and adaptive triggers
  • The Mac and Windows app have gone down the drain. Poor resolution and low frame rates are effectively making it unusable (this with gigabit link to console and 650-866 mbps link speed to PC/mac)... Haptics and adaptive triggers work though... (I can try with wired gbe link in case anyone is interested - but if I have to sit at a pre-defined place for remote play, might as well use the console directly) 
  • Tried Android with android 12 this time - total facepalm moment.. Aloy starting spinning around and shot out all her ammo. It appears the button mapping for dualsense is just plain wrong on android. Makes you wonder what kind of testing do they do :ranting:
Edited by superczar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, superczar said:

Just an update after the 4.5 upgrade for PS remote play app. I am currently using it for Horizon Forbidden west

• The iPad continues to be the best candidate for remote play. The resolution is excellent, no macro blocks noticeable. HDR works but with minor caveats. The only (and big ) bummer is lack of haptics and adaptive triggers
  • The Mac and Windows app have gone down the drain. Poor resolution and low frame rates are effectively making it unusable (this with gigabit link to console and 650-866 mbps link speed to PC/mac)... Haptics and adaptive triggers work though... (I can try with wired gbe link in case anyone is interested - but if I have to sit at a pre-defined place for remote play, might as well use the console directly) 
  • Tried Android with android 12 this time - total facepalm moment.. Aloy starting spinning around and shot out all her ammo. It appears the button mapping for dualsense is just plain wrong on android. Makes you wonder what kind of testing do they do :ranting:

Have you tested it on PS4/ PS4 Pro by any chance

• 4 months later...

I've been experimenting with multiple formats since Vita Remote play days too. iPad app gives me the smoothest experience as well. 

One thing I always do is that I use the second user account on my iPad so that when I log into remote play using the iPad, and then press the ds4 ps button, the ps4 switches back to my main account which means that the ds4 is directly connected to the ps4 BUT the iPad acts like a mini monitor of sorts.

this trick can be used if you are experiencing ds4 issues, of course for this to work the ds4 and ps4 have to be in range.

also ps4/ps5 being connect to LAN is a must. Just makes the experience so much better.

Edited by rAgHaV

9 hours ago, UxoriousHades03 said:

Can you guys please confirm whether, i can play from delhi while my ps5 is in Punjab. Do i need to be connected to same internet all the time? Hows the latency?

Yes you can do that but without internet at both ends it will not work. If PS4/PS5 is connected to a Fiber broadband connection with Ethernet and you have a good internet on the other end (from which you’d remote play), then the latency is really good, main thing is having Fiber broadband at both ends and making sure that the console isn’t using WiFi, for me WiFi on PS4 Pro almost always kills the experience, maybe on PS5 it’s a bit better.