Computer stuttering while gaming

adikumar2010

Whenever I play Apex Legends (it's the only game I play) it makes the whole PC stutter every 3-4 mins (for 2-3 secs everything freezes). Although stuttering also happens when I am not gaming and just browsing but it's 2-3 times per day. This issue only started last month. Also I got my GPU replaced last month, so it can't be GPU. I checked temperatures during gaming and it's all under 70 Celsius on GPU, CPU & Mobo. PC is little less then 2 years old but PSU is 12 years old.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard : Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
RAM : 2 X 8GB A-Data XPG 3200Mhz CL16
SSD : Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 Gen 3
GPU : Zotac GTX 1660 Twin Fan
PSU : Corsair 550W (Bought in 2009)

Where should I start ? Coz it could be motherboard or CPU or PSU or RAM or GPU, it's hard to figure out as I don't have 2nd desktop to switch parts & find the faulty hardware.
I think it's most likely PSU but I just don't want to buy new PSU for $100 then later realize it was something else which was faulty.

Edited by adikumar2010

• 1 month later...

you can use tools like HWinfo to monitor of usage of every component - CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/Network. 

And when you experience the stutter, just go back and see which component had a spike in usage. That will narrow it down for you.

I feel the stutter could be due to read/write on slower HDD if you are using one. Otherwise rest of your components look pretty decent to not cause stutter.

23 hours ago, goDofWar_skr said:

you can use tools like HWinfo to monitor of usage of every component - CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/Network. 

And when you experience the stutter, just go back and see which component had a spike in usage. That will narrow it down for you.

I feel the stutter could be due to read/write on slower HDD if you are using one. Otherwise rest of your components look pretty decent to not cause stutter.

Tried it but no help. I tested on different HDD also.

23 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Do you have a controller connected? Sometimes this happens with controllers. 

No
=============================================================

Yesterday I replaced my motherboard. So here is the summary :

1) When I changed GPU 1.5 months ago, problem was still same.

2) After that when I changed PSU 1 month ago the BSOD problem went away but freezing/stutters was still there

3) Then I changed CPU 3 weeks ago and after that freezing was gone but there was stutters still the same.

4) Then I changed Motherboard this week, now stutters are the only issue but they are reduced by 80%.

So what should I change next ? RAM, GPU or SSD ?

And is it possible that every component in my PC was fried all at same time because of old PSU or bad mobo ?

Because every time I change one component the issue gets fixed by a small percentage.

• 2 weeks later...

Psu 's come with a shelf life . The power wattage thats given at the beginning will degrade over time. It drops by a tiny percentage . As newer components are added their power input is fixed but the psu struggles to give the same. Could be that change your psu either to a gold or silver class. Will last longer. Dont but any of the new gigabyte psus they are exploding. 

• 1 month later...