The Cricket Thread

AtheK

Ross Taylor to retire from international cricket

Veteran batsman Ross Taylor will retire from international cricket at the end of the New Zealand's home season, bringing the curtains down on a journey that began in an ODI in Napier against West Indies in March 2006.

Ending speculation over his playing future, the 37-year-old confirmed on Thursday (December 30) that the forthcoming two-Test series against Bangladesh will be his last in the New Zealand whites. He will not play the subsequent Tests against South Africa and bow out with six ODIs against Australia and Netherlands later in the summer.

Taylor's final Test will be at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch and will take his tally of appearances to 112, tying him with Daniel Vettori for the most Tests played by a New Zealand cricketer.

link

34 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

How is this even cricket news? I know your ideology man, just don't make everything here a politics thread

More surprising thing is how someone as good as Kohli, who did so much for Indian cricket, is disowned and being shat on by the Indian cricket fandom all of a sudden. :lol:

Talk about kicking someone when they are down....

More surprising thing is how someone as good as Kohli, who did so much for Indian cricket, is disowned and being shat on by the Indian cricket fandom all of a sudden. [emoji38]

Talk about kicking someone when they are down....
Most people love sh*tting on Kohli just because he is aggressive on field and doesn't take bullshit from SENA countries. These guys don't care whether he will retire as GOAT Odi player or he is the best Test captain India ever had.

They don't even care that same Pacers barring Bumrah played under MSD and we were continuously thrashed in SENA tests. Now we dominate SENA tests with same pace resources. Even since his last century in 2019 he averages 53 in Odi and 39 in T20. In tests he is averaging 26 which is disappointing but if he keeps winning us overseas series it's not an issue cos sooner or later his form will return.

Personally I still rate Sachin way above Kohli as a batsman but since Sachin's retirement Kohli and Rohit have been the 2 best players we had.

It's a shame QDK retiring at such a young age but this will happen more often as Covid has messed up life and playing all formats for all players is becoming almost impossible.

Sent from my SM-E625F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, harsh1387 said:

Most people love sh*tting on Kohli just because he is aggressive on field and doesn't take bullshit from SENA countries. These guys don't care whether he will retire as GOAT Odi player or he is the best Test captain India ever had.

They don't even care that same Pacers barring Bumrah played under MSD and we were continuously thrashed in SENA tests. Now we dominate SENA tests with same pace resources. Even since his last century in 2019 he averages 53 in Odi and 39 in T20. In tests he is averaging 26 which is disappointing but if he keeps winning us overseas series it's not an issue cos sooner or later his form will return.

Personally I still rate Sachin way above Kohli as a batsman but since Sachin's retirement Kohli and Rohit have been the 2 best players we had.

It's a shame QDK retiring at such a young age but this will happen more often as Covid has messed up life and playing all formats for all players is becoming almost impossible.

IF Kohli's stays away from all the wokeness i rate him above all. Honestly i disliked him 5 years back because of over aggression non-stop gaali-galloch and stuff, but when you look at australia , england like teams they deserve it . AFter this recent test wins im his fan, even tough he did not bring ICC trophies the test wins are something else . Never watched so much of test before , deserves respect. (Criticism too )

Kohli's problem is that is he doesn't respect the cricket fans, his teammates, seniors or even the game. He thinks he's above it all and that's doesn't go well with me personally. Being agressive is one thing and being stupid is another. He gets into needless fights on and off the field with everyone. I still remember him getting into a needless arguments with the west indies players when they visited here last time.

When we started touring Pak post kargil ABV said "match bhi jeeto aur dil bhi" that was a period when even Pakistanis in stadium would cheer for us and ours was a team with as much goodwill as the Kiwis. Right now we must be the most hated cricket team's along with Australia beacuse of the super agressive on field behaviour & partly due to the sucess of IPL. The last time everyone cheered for us unanimously was when we defeated Australia early this year. 

@harsh1387 Problem is, most people rate ICC Tournaments very highly. Far more than bilateral series in SENA Countries. Look at the hype for  World Cups, Champion Trophies and the like vs the series in England/Australia/South Africa. Another problem is, not many people care for test cricket anymore.

While Kohli has been great in these bilateral series, his ICC Tournament record is abysmal. People remember the Sachin/Ganguly era for them bringing the Indian Team on the World stage and getting actual respect (before that, the only time we had respect was in 1983 WC AFAIK).

People remember Dhoni era because he won every single ICC Tournament for us, including the T20 World Cup and (Most Importantly) The ODI World Cup in 2011 - the very first time after 1983 that we won such a major tournament. They also remember Dhoni trying till the end in 2019 WC, and recognize he is the most successful player and captain for Chennai in IPL - which is one of the most winning teams in entire IPL history under Dhoni.

People remember Kohli for his individual records, and recognize that he is one of the most successful batsmen. Even here, his form has dropped. They also remember that India pretty much lost all ICC Tournaments in the World stage under him. The fact that we were recently kicked out in the 1st round itself in the 2020 T20 World Cup does not help. Worse (in most people's eyes), he broke the record of India always winning against Pakistan in World Cups, that too in a shameful defeat (The match was not even close, there was no fight in the Indian Team at all). They remember all his Bollywood antics and party lifestyle. They remember his spat against Kumble, and how Kumble was kicked out - Kumble was considered a gentleman, and one of the legends of India. Under him RCB's record has been abysmal in the IPL. A lot of people think he is full of ego.

So yup, IMO Kohli gets trolled for all those reasons I think. Under him, India does great in bilateral series. But people prefer World Series over the Bilateral ones. Interest in Test Cricket has pretty much waned, and other than purists, nobody cares if Kohli has wins in bilateral test series in SENA. If it was a major tournament - people might care, but otherwise not many do. Heck, many people don't even know India is No 1 in Tests/ODIs when that ranking only comes from bilateral series.

So yup, that's why I think Kohli gets trolled and disrespected.

Edited by roun90

[mention=12067]harsh1387[/mention] Problem is, most people rate ICC Tournaments very highly. Far more than bilateral series in SENA Countries. Look at the hype for  World Cups, Champion Trophies and the like vs the series in England/Australia/South Africa. Another problem is, not many people care for test cricket anymore.

While Kohli has been great in these bilateral series, his ICC Tournament record is abysmal. People remember the Sachin/Ganguly era for them bringing the Indian Team on the World stage and getting actual respect (before that, the only time we had respect was in 1983 WC AFAIK).

People remember Dhoni era because he won every single ICC Tournament for us, including the T20 World Cup and (Most Importantly) The ODI World Cup in 2011 - the very first time after 1983 that we won such a major tournament. They also remember Dhoni trying till the end in 2019 WC, and recognize he is the most successful player and captain for Chennai in IPL - which is one of the most winning teams in entire IPL history under Dhoni.

People remember Kohli for his individual records, and recognize that he is one of the most successful batsmen. Even here, his form has dropped. They also remember that India pretty much lost all ICC Tournaments in the World stage under him. The fact that we were recently kicked out in the 1st round itself in the 2020 T20 World Cup does not help. Worse (in most people's eyes), he broke the record of India always winning against Pakistan in World Cups, that too in a shameful defeat (The match was not even close, there was no fight in the Indian Team at all). They remember all his Bollywood antics and party lifestyle. They remember his spat against Kumble, and how Kumble was kicked out - Kumble was considered a gentleman, and one of the legends of India. Under him RCB's record has been abysmal in the IPL. A lot of people think he is full of ego.

So yup, IMO Kohli gets trolled for all those reasons I think. Under him, India does great in bilateral series. But people prefer World Series over the Bilateral ones. Interest in Test Cricket has pretty much waned, and other than purists, nobody cares if Kohli has wins in bilateral test series in SENA. If it was a major tournament - people might care, but otherwise not many do. Heck, many people don't even know India is No 1 in Tests/ODIs when that ranking only comes from bilateral series.

So yup, that's why I think Kohli gets trolled and disrespected.

That is absolutely true and I never said he is a good white ball captain. MSD was great in white ball and sh*t in tests. Kohli is opposite. What he is still one of the best white ball player in history and the best test captain we ever had. He should be appreciated for that and criticized where he lacks. Anyways, i feel we are gonna win this series and that will mark another chapter in Indian cricket.