The Game Awards 2021 Thread

Can look at this all day and night long, the games it leaves in shreds is sheer amazing, for those who don't really know how big defeating Monster Hunter and shin megumi is then, take my word for it, it's pretty huge, even though my pick was Tales of Arise i was sure MHR would win it. Damn way to leave me pleasantly full of joy. Gotta appreciate TGA still being mostly unbiased.

RPG-Of-the-Year-2021-TGA.jpg

38 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Can look at this all day and night long, the games it leaves in shreds is sheer amazing, for those who don't really know how big defeating Monster Hunter and shin megumi is then, take my word for it, it's pretty huge, even though my pick was Tales of Arise i was sure MHR would win it. Damn way to leave me pleasantly full of joy. Gotta appreciate TGA still being mostly unbiased.

RPG-Of-the-Year-2021-TGA.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei is no Persona though. IMO it's a more acquired taste, since the entire game is a 40-50 hour long dungeon crawler, with little to no story. Purists love it, but AFAIK most of the people are not that interested in it. It's why Persona is so big, and SMT is so niche - despite Persona literally being one of SMT's spin-offs (Technically, since both Persona and SMT are spin offs of the original Megami Tensei).

MH:Rise I'm not sure. DOn't know how it compares with MH:World, and if they upgraded enough to be far better than MH: World Iceborne.

Scarlet Nexus was the RPG to beat this year IMO.

26 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Shin Megami Tensei is no Persona though. IMO it's a more acquired taste, since the entire game is a 40-50 hour long dungeon crawler, with little to no story. Purists love it, but AFAIK most of the people are not that interested in it. It's why Persona is so big, and SMT is so niche - despite Persona literally being one of SMT's spin-offs (Technically, since both Persona and SMT are spin offs of the original Megami Tensei).

MH:Rise I'm not sure. DOn't know how it compares with MH:World, and if they upgraded enough to be far better than MH: World Iceborne.

Scarlet Nexus was the RPG to beat this year IMO.

MHR had interesting mechanics added to it, like the Wirebug. It's a deadly system seller in japan, also game journos love their SMT, as for scarlet nexus, that felt like a niche anime rpg, it doesn't help that it has an anime airing with the exact same story which makes playing the game useless if someone just was there for the story. It essentially has the same result SMT has storywise.

Tales of arise was brilliant already, i support the numerous anger around it not being GOTY candidate and instead of letting likes of a platformer like Psychonauts 2 wasting a nomination slot.

Edited by NitroNeo

4 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Tales of arise was brilliant already, i support the numerous anger around it not being GOTY candidate and instead of letting likes of a platformer like Psychonauts 2 wasting a nomination slot.

It Takes Two is also a platformer. 

Psychonauts 2 being nominated is well deserved. 

Only Ratchet nomination is questionable. Should put Returnal instead to encourage unique and interesting games.

1 hour ago, AnK said:

6 minutes of “Gameplay” & the only thing in real-time was few seconds of running :lol: 

hey guys she is “finally up & running” after 4 years :rofl: 

Yep I’m salty this year & was so every year where I gave 2 cents for watching ppl play Forza & Halo on Xbox far the past dozen years :giggle: 

Graphics look kick a*s though,no doubt. 
True next gen….if it manages to release this way. 

Hold on we never said Ank? Who took your name but you still replied? So you admit,you are one of those lol.

• Haha 3

Loved the show, overall. Superb results (although, apart from GOTG, I'm yet to play most of this year's games :fear: ). Have Kena, It Takes Two, and Deathloop downloaded already, but so little time.

Some really interesting looking games were announced:

- SW Eclipse

- Arc Raiders

- WW game

- Hellblade looks and feels absolutely stellar. Like, "go out and buy a Series X" level good, for me.

- Played the Matrix demo and my, oh my... Almost, photorealistic in some aspects.

- Best of show was Horizon: FW. I'm already hyped for the game and the trailer they put out just blowed my mind.

- SS looked nice and fun, too. It's just that, after GOTG, it has some pretty big shoes to fill, as comparisons will be made for sure.

Overall, a nice 2022-2023 coming up for us gamers!

1 hour ago, AnK said:

When I specifically mentioned “6 mins of gameplay” ,I obviously meant running of just seconds of actual “real-time gameplay”. 

not the real-time what you are presuming. 

Even if today they had teased this in CG after 4 years of development,it would have been dead embarrassment.

Which I already mentioned pre show. 

Everything was ingame. It was more of a cinematic presentation with real time transition between gameplay and cutscenes.  It didn't showed any gameplay mechanics or system with hud, so that was disappointing but graphics look amazing and its not coming out anytime soon. So it will look even better. 

NT very good at graphics nd all but they still have to make gameplay more involved and less hand holdy.  I didn't like gameplay aspects of 1st Hellblade, it was very limited but everything else was stunning 

Edited by WhiteWolf

13 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

It Takes Two is also a platformer. 

Psychonauts 2 being nominated is well deserved. 

Only Ratchet nomination is questionable. Should put Returnal instead to encourage unique and interesting games.

Ratchet actually showed off a unique concept like the use of rifts which showcased what ps5 can do and the direction the series will take, P2 was a xbox studio game right ? What did it actually do unique that wasn't done on other platforms it released on !

2 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Ratchet actually showed off a unique concept like the use of rifts which showcased what ps5 can do and the direction the series will take, P2 was a xbox studio game right ? What did it actually do unique that wasn't done on other platforms it released on !

What did Tales of Arise do that was unique? 

Any Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest much better than that.