The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

So finally got the GT TSI. It is kind of a stalemate between both mind and heart.

Contemplated on buying Vento for +2Lacs but as it was going to be a daily driver for my wifey, decided to get this instead , for easiness in city traffic. And rarely we would have people in the backseat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Have tons of questions.  @AtheK bro, hope to get your insight .

(1) Regd tyres, I got the 16" inch alloys - Apollo Alnac 4G 195/55/16. I wanted to swap them with Michelin P3ST with all the rave reviews in TBHP but they only come with 205/55/16 size and the showroom guy said, we need to keep the stock size only and shouldn't upsize it. So I could have gone with Michelin XM2 but decided against it as it would cost ~12K and i didn't find any bad reviewes of the ALNAC 4G . So keeping the stock tyre. hope they do good for ~30-40K then i can upsize as well with peace of mind.
(2) Planning to paint the stock alloys with gloss black(might be after few months) . Along with that, if we paint Brake calipers, will it cause any issues with warranty?

(3) I got the RCD330G HU with mirror link. Sadly no compatible phone to test it out but i was disappointed to know that we can't change Folders or Change audio source from the steering wheel. Coming to media controls its just volume up/down + track change + mute.

I remember you got a Android HU from AliExpress, how is it doing and are you satisfied with it? Can we change it with the stock one without voiding warranty? Will we get an option to change the folder by means of any customization?

(4) Also i saw your post on getting Paddle shifters. Did you get it done? is that specific to Vento or would it also fit the new Flat bottom steering wheels. Again, does it void warranty.

(5) Any other critical do's/ don't when using the TSI DSG. I tend to do those quick 0-60 by slowing down purposefully :P. Is there a run-in period during which we shouldn't use S mode often? i heard it is around 1500 Kms, is it true?

There is too much info on TBHP and its hard to tell which one can break your warranty. I am yet to post or ask anything there.

Thanks in advance!!

5 hours ago, Pacifier said:

Have tons of questions.  @AtheK bro, hope to get your insight .

(1) Regd tyres, I got the 16" inch alloys - Apollo Alnac 4G 195/55/16. I wanted to swap them with Michelin P3ST with all the rave reviews in TBHP but they only come with 205/55/16 size and the showroom guy said, we need to keep the stock size only and shouldn't upsize it. So I could have gone with Michelin XM2 but decided against it as it would cost ~12K and i didn't find any bad reviewes of the ALNAC 4G . So keeping the stock tyre. hope they do good for ~30-40K then i can upsize as well with peace of mind.
(2) Planning to paint the stock alloys with gloss black(might be after few months) . Along with that, if we paint Brake calipers, will it cause any issues with warranty?

(3) I got the RCD330G HU with mirror link. Sadly no compatible phone to test it out but i was disappointed to know that we can't change Folders or Change audio source from the steering wheel. Coming to media controls its just volume up/down + track change + mute.

I remember you got a Android HU from AliExpress, how is it doing and are you satisfied with it? Can we change it with the stock one without voiding warranty? Will we get an option to change the folder by means of any customization?

(4) Also i saw your post on getting Paddle shifters. Did you get it done? is that specific to Vento or would it also fit the new Flat bottom steering wheels. Again, does it void warranty.

(5) Any other critical do's/ don't when using the TSI DSG. I tend to do those quick 0-60 by slowing down purposefully :P. Is there a run-in period during which we shouldn't use S mode often? i heard it is around 1500 Kms, is it true?

There is too much info on TBHP and its hard to tell which one can break your warranty. I am yet to post or ask anything there.

Thanks in advance!!

1. Alnac are decent tyres, they will serve you well. I did upsize though. 

2. Go ahead, no issues. 

3. Yes it is working great, the one on Ali express work on plug and play method, no wire cutting, so you should be fine. I use power amp and generally use shuffle function, but don't think I can still shuffle just the folder. 

4. No I did not, it was too expensive for too little benefit, once I got used to Dsg I just let to do its job, hardly ever gone manual after that. 

5. Get extended warranty for peace of mind, should give you 4 yrs coverage. I use S modes on highways, in blore traffic D just works fine. No run in period, but just be gentle for first 1000 kms and don't redline too much. 

Happy riding.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AtheK said:

1. Alnac are decent tyres, they will serve you well. I did upsize though. 

2. Go ahead, no issues. 

3. Yes it is working great, the one on Ali express work on plug and play method, no wire cutting, so you should be fine. I use power amp and generally use shuffle function, but don't think I can still shuffle just the folder. 

4. No I did not, it was too expensive for too little benefit, once I got used to Dsg I just let to do its job, hardly ever gone manual after that. 

5. Get extended warranty for peace of mind, should give you 4 yrs coverage. I use S modes on highways, in blore traffic D just works fine. No run in period, but just be gentle for first 1000 kms and don't redline too much. 

Happy riding.. 

Yes, Got the extended warranty. Will hold for few months before jumping on a Android HU then.

Thank you for the inputs!

• 2 months later...

@AtheK :- Bhai, Im going to Hyd over this weekend and planning to bring my Ciaz (AT) while returning.

Basically, I wanted to add DRLs (Merc E-Class) Xenon HID Projectors (White), LED Tail-Lights (Merc E-Class). And a good Navigation/Touch Screen Enabled Music System.

My Budget is around 60-70K.   Can you suggest me a good place to do this in Bangalore.

Any suggestions from my fellow Bengalureans will be very much appreciated. Thanks in Advance. :)

3 hours ago, HarishProGamer said:

@AtheK :- Bhai, Im going to Hyd over this weekend and planning to bring my Ciaz (AT) while returning.

Basically, I wanted to add DRLs (Merc E-Class) Xenon HID Projectors (White), LED Tail-Lights (Merc E-Class). And a good Navigation/Touch Screen Enabled Music System.

My Budget is around 60-70K.   Can you suggest me a good place to do this in Bangalore.

Any suggestions from my fellow Bengalureans will be very much appreciated. Thanks in Advance. :)

Contact these guys for lightning.

https://www.facebook.com/Automativecustomizing/

his name is vinod @9945491055

For music system call Kumar from Audio planet, awesome guy his number is 9845006502. Give him my reference.

3 hours ago, AtheK said:

Contact these guys for lightning.

https://www.facebook.com/Automativecustomizing/

his name is vinod @9945491055

For music system call Kumar from Audio planet, awesome guy his number is 9845006502. Give him my reference.

Thank You Aman. Will call them.

PM me your mobile number. I might call you in case.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I need a 150 cc bike for my daily commute to job, which is 34 km back and forth (out of which 30 km is highway :D).  After a LOT of research, I've narrowed it down to Suzuki Gixxer Naked or SF variant.  There is the SF FI (Fuel Injection) variant too.  Who here has a Gixxer SF?  Should I get the FI variant?  The latest one comes with ABS too (single channel - front brake), which I think is worth it.  Just confused with the FI or carburetor variant.

Any and all inputs are welcome :)

I own a Gixxer naked variant 2015 edition. So far the experience has been great for long rides and daily commute as well. The bike is very robust and has a good sense of speed.

I would suggest you to go with FI as It gives you better fuel efficiency and better throttle response. OTTH Carburetors are easy to maintain, but don’t give a smooth throttle feel.

Edited by Star Lord
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kazekage Gaara said:

Hey guys,

I need a 150 cc bike for my daily commute to job, which is 34 km back and forth (out of which 30 km is highway :D).  After a LOT of research, I've narrowed it down to Suzuki Gixxer Naked or SF variant.  There is the SF FI (Fuel Injection) variant too.  Who here has a Gixxer SF?  Should I get the FI variant?  The latest one comes with ABS too (single channel - front brake), which I think is worth it.  Just confused with the FI or carburetor variant.

Any and all inputs are welcome :)

GIxxer is a very good bike. From my personal experience let me suggest you Apache RTR 200 as well, one hell of a bike and very very reliable. 

PS: Owned Acpache RTR 160 for 9 years before booking a new bike last week.

PPS: New bike booked is Apache RR310, the first booking in Bangalore :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AtheK said:

GIxxer is a very good bike. From my personal experience let me suggest you Apache RTR 200 as well, one hell of a bike and very very reliable. 

PS: Owned Acpache RTR 160 for 9 years before booking a new bike last week.

PPS: New bike booked is Apache RR310, the first booking in Bangalore :P

Since my daily run is going to be almost 45 km (including a run to college after job), mileage is one of my top priorities.  Believe it or not, family is STILL forcing me to go with the Unicorn coz of mileage.  Before that, they were asking me to get a Passion Pro XD.  I put my foot down that I want a 150 cc bike, and after doing a LOT of research, I narrowed it down to Unicorn 160 and Gixxer.  My brain says Unicorn, but my heart says Gixxer.  Gixxer gives 45 kmpl, and I'm happy with that.  Since 90% of my commute is going to be a highway, a friend recommended I go with the SF model with the fairing, which will give more stability on highways.  I'm stretching my budget by 20k to get the ABS version, which in my books is totally worth it, even though it's single channel.  By the way, test drove a friend's 11-month-old Gixxer SF for an hour and again fell in love with it.

2 hours ago, Star Lord said:

I own a Gixxer naked variant 2015 edition. So far the experience has been great for long rides and daily commute as well. The bike is very robust and has a good sense of speed.

I would suggest you to go with FI as It gives you better fuel efficiency and better throttle response. OTTH Carburetors are easy to maintain, but don’t give a smooth throttle feel.

I see.  Thanx :)

8 hours ago, avanildutta said:

Guys which should i opt for within 14L range cars.. Mainly eyeing for compact suv like S cross new, ecosport new. Diesel engine..
Or a total different league XUV500 my uncles used but very rare used. Top notch top of the line model for 9L..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

You're comparing cars across segments. Ecopsort is a compact SUV, SCross is a crossover, and XUV 500 is a full size SUV. 

That being said, the ecosport is very cramped, and will is just a hatch on stilts. I never liked the feel and was very uncomfortable to drive long distances in it. 

SCross is a very good bet. Not much I can add to it however. 

Did you consider the Creta? Fantastic design, pretty good engine, and quite room inside too. 

That being said, how old is the XUV, how many km, and what variant is it? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avanildutta said:

Guys which should i opt for within 14L range cars.. Mainly eyeing for compact suv like S cross new, ecosport new. Diesel engine..
Or a total different league XUV500 my uncles used but very rare used. Top notch top of the line model for 9L..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

If it's uncle used and in the family get the xuv eye closed, 9 lacs is a very good price. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...