The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

1 hour ago, hsk_colossus said:

I am Looking for a hatchback as I already have Vento but need a smaller car for city driving..

I like the i20 but The new i20 is also priced a lot higher than baleno...

how do you find the space inside i20 as compared to baleno???

as suggested here, will take a rest drive of altroz first before making a decision now... 

I didn't find any issues w.r.t space, I feel it's adequate.  It also has an AC duct for the back seat, so even the long drives in summer time are quite comfortable !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hsk_colossus said:

I am Looking for a hatchback as I already have Vento but need a smaller car for city driving..

I like the i20 but The new i20 is also priced a lot higher than baleno...

how do you find the space inside i20 as compared to baleno???

as suggested here, will take a rest drive of altroz first before making a decision now... 

I didn't read it completely, if you're choosing a hatchback purely for city driving, then better go for i10 auto /celerio instead of the other options you mentioned.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I looked at a lot of reviews and most of them call out Honda City being the 'best' and Ciaz being the most 'value for money'. The other cars in the comparison were the Verna, the Yaris, the Vento. I think Verna has also been in the market for quite some time too. What do you mean dud to drive though? I've recently turned 18, but I've been in the backseat a bunch of times and its great in that sense. Haven't been in the driver's seat so don't know much there. But afaik, Ciaz hasn't gotten a refresh in a while, but the City has, so thats a factor.

I'm looking into the sedans, but the fam is only looking at the Venue for whatever reason. It looks cramped in the back for me. And since I'm the one who's gonna be sitting there, I'm not a big fan of the idea. They really like it for some reason, but will discuss this at home.

Thanks for the input man.

If backseat space is an important criteria, i would skip most of the sub 4m suvs (apart from maybe Nexon and XUV300). In terms of sedans, Ciaz and City would be your picks as Verna's backseat is also compromised

5 hours ago, Sach4life said:

If backseat space is an important criteria, i would skip most of the sub 4m suvs (apart from maybe Nexon and XUV300). In terms of sedans, Ciaz and City would be your picks as Verna's backseat is also compromised

It is tbh. There are 3 people, my parents sit up front and I sit at the back. I can adjust, but when I drive one of my parents will have to sit behind and I don't want it to be cramped or uncomfortable.

I'll take your advice into account. Buying one of the bigger ones (that is Creta/Seltos) would give more space in the SUV segment but don't feel the need to spend that much money, considering we don't use the car that often. My parents wfh even before Corona, with a lot of plane travel so the car is mostly sitting at the parking, and I go to college via metro as its too far to drive anyway.

Will consider them both, Ciaz and City. Is there a specific variant which I should be looking into, like a feature thats must have, or do I just see what fits? 

21 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I'll take your advice into account. Buying one of the bigger ones (that is Creta/Seltos) would give more space in the SUV segment but don't feel the need to spend that much money, considering we don't use the car that often. My parents wfh even before Corona, with a lot of plane travel so the car is mostly sitting at the parking, and I go to college via metro as its too far to drive anyway

A used car seems to best fit all your needs. 

Budget, it being used less frequently plus getting the car you want.

If 'New' is not mandatory, pls consider buying a used car as well. India has come a long way in the used car market and if you look enough I am pretty sure you will find 1-2 yrs used car still in warranty.

Also since you are new to driving, you need not be a lot paranoid as well for nicking a few :P

54 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

A used car seems to best fit all your needs. 

Budget, it being used less frequently plus getting the car you want.

If 'New' is not mandatory, pls consider buying a used car as well. India has come a long way in the used car market and if you look enough I am pretty sure you will find 1-2 yrs used car still in warranty.

Also since you are new to driving, you need not be a lot paranoid as well for nicking a few :P

Nah, the point is to buy a new car. We already have a car, which I'm using to drive. 

Buying a new car just because the current one has become old and we want a change and an upgrade. 

Will be soon getting my driving licence.

Can you guys suggest a car in second hand market or a brand new one. Usage mostly will be a daily run of 15km + weekly travel between Thane - Pune.

My requirements:

1) Has to be CNG + Petrol + Automatic

2) Preferably, not Maruti/Suzuki cars.

Edited by Animus

Creta looks like the softest suv out there, a big-a*s car but looks more suitable to drive within the city.  If one is to go for SUV, i think better to go for a better quality build / high ground clearance with 4WD, maybe something like Duster or Jeep compass?  What's the point of buying a SUV otherwise ? If one's buying it for just the extra space, guess jazz is much cheaper but gives similar amount of space ?  

Edited by Ne0

32 minutes ago, Animus said:

Will be soon getting my driving licence.

Can you guys suggest a car in second hand market or a brand new one. Usage mostly will be a daily run of 15km + weekly travel between Thane - Pune.

My requirements:

1) Has to be CNG + Petrol + Automatic

2) Preferably, not Maruti/Suzuki cars.

I dont think there is any other car in CNG and automatic variant apart from ertiga and celerio.

9 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

I dont think there is any other car in CNG and automatic variant apart from ertiga and celerio.

How is S-Presso?

Also, buying a brand new car and then fitting after market CNG kit....will it void the warranty?

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

It is tbh. There are 3 people, my parents sit up front and I sit at the back. I can adjust, but when I drive one of my parents will have to sit behind and I don't want it to be cramped or uncomfortable.

I'll take your advice into account. Buying one of the bigger ones (that is Creta/Seltos) would give more space in the SUV segment but don't feel the need to spend that much money, considering we don't use the car that often. My parents wfh even before Corona, with a lot of plane travel so the car is mostly sitting at the parking, and I go to college via metro as its too far to drive anyway.

Will consider them both, Ciaz and City. Is there a specific variant which I should be looking into, like a feature thats must have, or do I just see what fits? 

Not sure about Ciaz but as far as new City is concerned, even the base variant (V) is well loaded and has pretty much everything you would need. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Animus said:

How is S-Presso?

Also, buying a brand new car and then fitting after market CNG kit....will it void the warranty?

Yes it will void the warranty. Dealer might tell you they'll get it done without voiding warranty, but basically you're at their mercy as manufacturer most likely wont honour the warranty.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much decided to go with the Venue. Final (on road) price coming out to 9.53L. Looking to book by the end of the month.

They have an exchange system in place. We want to trade in our old Maruti Swift Dzire. Its a 2009 model, we never bothered changing since it was fine but now we need a change.

The valuation came to 1.2L as per the guys at Hyundai. We visited Honda and Maruti showrooms to see City and Ciaz respectively, they also did valuation, also quoted exactly 1.2L.

Can I better price for my old car elsewhere?? What should I do? 

22 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Pretty much decided to go with the Venue. Final (on road) price coming out to 9.53L. Looking to book by the end of the month.

They have an exchange system in place. We want to trade in our old Maruti Swift Dzire. Its a 2009 model, we never bothered changing since it was fine but now we need a change.

The valuation came to 1.2L as per the guys at Hyundai. We visited Honda and Maruti showrooms to see City and Ciaz respectively, they also did valuation, also quoted exactly 1.2L.

Can I better price for my old car elsewhere?? What should I do? 

Ideally, you should be able to get better price outside of showrooms but you have to go through the hassle of finding a buyer and transfer title etc. Showrooms takes care of it so it's easier. Maruti normally has good resale value but don't expect a lot for a 11 year old car.

24 minutes ago, b!T said:

Ideally, you should be able to get better price outside of showrooms but you have to go through the hassle of finding a buyer and transfer title etc. Showrooms takes care of it so it's easier. Maruti normally has good resale value but don't expect a lot for a 11 year old car.

Yeah I'm not fussy. Getting 1.2L for an 11 year old Dzire is pretty decent imo, we took very good care of the car.

Yes showroom method will be very hassle free, but just wondering if I can get more anywhere else. Wouldn't say no to extra cash.

Websites like cars24 and stuff, don't they buy it directly off you, or do I need to find a buyer and do all that?

In that case, I'd much rather go the showroom route. 

24 minutes ago, b!T said:

Yeah I'm not fussy. Getting 1.2L for an 11 year old Dzire is pretty decent imo, we took very good care of the car.

Yes showroom method will be very hassle free, but just wondering if I can get more anywhere else. Wouldn't say no to extra cash.

Websites like cars24 and stuff, don't they buy it directly off you, or do I need to find a buyer and do all that?

In that case, I'd much rather go the showroom route. 

4 minutes ago, blitzkreiig said:

Don't even go near Cars24, grade A scammers.

You can try Olx but it'll involve a lot of hassles with visits to RTO office and will probably take longer to sell.

Nah don't wanna go into Olx, too much hassle.

I did give cars24 a call. Dude wanted my name, address, aadhar no, pan no, board marks, job profile, marital status, dick size god knows what else

Don't why the f**k they want this much detail to just bring my car to their store. Gave the dude the finger, and thank you for the tip, won't bother with them at all.

I'll stick to the showroom route. Will tell sales guy to give me a little extra, hopefully he can do something. 

Did quite a bit of that already, they ain't budging. There are a few goodies for free, but thats being provided by the company to all car buyers. 

Sales guy kept telling me I'm getting it for free, and the goodies are worth 4000 and whatever. Thats fine but I need something more.

Contacted 2 more Hyundai showrooms to see if a different dealership can get me a better deal. I dealt with the one in Noida (walking distance from my house) all this time.

The one in Greater Kailash (Concept Hyundai) quoted me 7K less on the final price. Plus they have the car in the preferred color, so I can supposedly get it very fast. I assume it won't take more than 2 days from booking date.

The one in Noida however gave me a waiting time of a month. Spoke to him today, he said if I book immediately he can get it by February end. I'm not in a hurry, but my current car valuation may go down further in price.