The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

Seltos is great, if it weren't for the short-change that they do to the Indian customers in terms of safety.
For that alone, they don't deserve the sales figure that they are able to put up.
But alas, despite knowing that, most Indians don't have a problem in going for it :wallbash:

I would say, keep away from Seltos, if you're going to take it out on long highway usage. For City use, it should be fine!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AtheK said:

And not to forget quality has gone to sh*t, and it is no more an aspirational brand anymore.

I had taken a test drive of the 5th gen city 2 weeks back, and found the quality to be quite good. In the sedan segment, Honda still seems to be near the top.

Autocar had made this comparison video in this segment. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Only thing I am looking for is a good sound system, a great console, Carplay/Android Auto which is really fluid (not sure if Indian options have wireless options?).

The last one is absolutely the priority.

Other than that, a decent mileage with good ride quality and experience.

An electric car would work perfectly for this kind of usage. The Kona is worth checking out. Don’t sweat on wireless CarPlay/AA. There are adapters available for both and they work well. 

47 minutes ago, abhi90 said:

Honda exiting the market would be :panic:

IKR For middle class Indians Honda has been the biggest aspirational brand for generations. It's always been you start with a Maruti 800/Alto and hope to buy a Honda City one day. I know the times have changed a lot since then but seeing honda leave would be really sad. 

• Like 1

@KunjanPSDcheck the octavia style variant, I picked up L&K variant 10days back and boy it’s awesome. you might find 2021 manufactured car with discounts. 
Have both Creta 1st gen diesel 1.6 and Tucson 4*4 pre face lift. By driving all these I can defiantly tell you if you want driving pleasure go for Skoda or VW. If you want fuss free ownership just go for Honda or Hyundai. 

1 hour ago, achilles said:

An electric car would work perfectly for this kind of usage. The Kona is worth checking out. Don’t sweat on wireless CarPlay/AA. There are adapters available for both and they work well. 

Charging is not favourable yet because of screwed up parking. And I don't want to use an adapter for something which can come built in.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:
2 hours ago, Ram Dante said:

Seltos is great, if it weren't for the short-change that they do to the Indian customers in terms of safety.

Yup, have a Seltos in the house and its pretty darn good. Would recommend it.

Safety rating is the only reason for me to not consider Seltos. It's better than MG Hector for sure when it comes to other areas but can't really compromise on safety.

@KunjanPSD
I would recommend the Honda City first. Great sedan, tried and tested for quite some time here.

My second recommendation would be the new Slavia. Skoda is improving their after-sales to catch up with competitors. Though I would suggest you wait for some time if you're looking to get this car as it's new.

An SUV doesn't fit your needs as it's a large vehicle and it consumes more fuel when compared to sedans.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sumanth said:

@KunjanPSDcheck the octavia style variant, I picked up L&K variant 10days back and boy it’s awesome. you might find 2021 manufactured car with discounts. 

We need a new car because now 2 people need to get out of the house but the usage will still be minimal, moderate at best.

I would spend that much money if there was an actual, frequent use of the car and I do like Octavia a lot but it won't make sense to make that investment.

And anyway, 25L is the limit for my mom, especially even since I started working. Anything over that, I will need to put in and that's not what I want to do, lol.

Should have gotten the car before I got a job.

1 minute ago, BRHeadHunter said:

@KunjanPSD
I would recommend the Honda City first. Great sedan, tried and tested for quite some time here.

My second recommendation would be the new Slavia. Skoda is improving their after-sales to catch up with competitors. Though I would suggest you wait for some time if you're looking to get this car as it's new.

An SUV doesn't fit your needs as it's a large vehicle and it consumes more fuel when compared to sedans.

My go to choice was Civic only. My friend owns it and it's a delight. Was even looking for any unsold inventory but couldn't find it.

New City is great but I like Slavia better.

Right now Hector, Slavia and Kushaq are on my try list. Will check out all of them or even some other suggestions before buying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

We need a new car because now 2 people need to get out of the house but the usage will still be minimal, moderate at best.

I would spend that much money if there was an actual, frequent use of the car and I do like Octavia a lot but it won't make sense to make that investment.

And anyway, 25L is the limit for my mom, especially even since I started working. Anything over that, I will need to put in and that's not what I want to do, lol.

Should have gotten the car before I got a job.

Recommended octavia coz you were looking at civic. Didn’t know the budget. But you can get up to 2lac discount on ex showroom. I got around 1.6 for L&K on ex showroom. 

I would personally stay away from discontinued model. Availability  of spare parts might be a problem in future. 

When speaking to skoda GM while negotiating octavia we talked salvia too and he told skoda might price salvia close to Honda city. And had several booking already in Bangalore. 

Just enquired about Hector, Slavia and Kushaq. Got quoted 4-6 months for the model I was looking for, lol. 

1L booking amount with no clear delivery date. What's the point of putting down this much money only to wait?

And the salesman just try to spew things like demand is high, it's only gonna get worse. 

I am like "Bhai, tumhare pass stock hi nhi hai isliye delay hai".

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Just enquired about Hector, Slavia and Kushaq. Got quoted 4-6 months for the model I was looking for, lol. 

1L booking amount with no clear delivery date. What's the point of putting down this much money only to wait?

And the salesman just try to spew things like demand is high, it's only gonna get worse. 

1L booking amount is crazy. It shouldn't be more than 20-30k. For something like a Skoda Kodiaq which is a 40L car (on road) the booking amount is 50k. BTW why don't you book online on their official website ? It is 35k for the Kushaq on their website. Also, Kushaq waiting is only 1-2 months not more than that. 

42 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

You can try used cars if you're okay with that. You might be able to find some less than 2year old mint cars from genuine owners. you can even do that as a stop-gap arrangement for one or two years, till you find an upcoming model which you will totally like. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Never heard of 1L for booking in this range. Hyundai takes 25K for Creta, 22K refundable on cancellation. Honda asks for 11k iirc. Maruti asked for 500 when I enquired about the Ciaz.

My friend paid 50k for Seltos, 5 months ago and only just got it.

I was quoted 1L for Hector Plus and Slavia.

50k for Kushaq.

I know it's too much so I am just gonna check out some other branch.

I paid 25k booking amount back in 2020 when I booked my Seltos HTX petrol. Got the car within 1 and half month in Bangalore.

50k booking amount and 5 months waiting period sounds crazy.
That too in a place like Delhi, it suppose to be cheaper.

11 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

My friend paid 50k for Seltos, 5 months ago and only just got it.

I was quoted 1L for Hector Plus and Slavia.

50k for Kushaq.

I know it's too much so I am just gonna check out some other branch.

When we got the Seltos (Oct'21), only paid 25K as the booking amount. Not sure why your local dealer is asking for this much

Edited by LordSpymaster

3 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

When we got the Seltos, only paid 25K as the booking amount. Not sure why your local dealer is asking for this much

Demands are crazy, bro. 

I've been quoted similar prices elsewhere in Noida, Delhi etc. 

Most places want minimum 40k as deposit and have 4-8 months of waiting for the popular cars. 

10 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Demands are crazy, bro. 

I've been quoted similar prices elsewhere in Noida, Delhi etc. 

Most places want minimum 40k as deposit and have 4-8 months of waiting for the popular cars. 

Yup I know. Had booked the Creta in Oct for 25K, got it cancelled this week and got back 22K. My number wasn't even in line for Feb according to the dealership.