The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

8 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Luxury Plus Diesel MT. 6 seater. Didn't go for AT as DCT requires more maintainence, I've heard of heating issues in other DCT cars. Plus MT gives a sense of control of power delivery to engine. 

Yup, Brothers polo GT dct had multiple issues. Every time they used to mention DCT performance in India is affected by the heat generated.

Edited by b!T
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Does anyone have a Nexon EV here? 

I'm pretty set on buying one and want to know the general experience of owning one and also the subsidy scenes. 

Cousin owns one and if you have any doubts, I can ask him.

17 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Booked Carens today. 4 months wait for MT. 7 months plus for AT. :lol:

Edit: Also price increase by almost 2% in April. 

Great choice. 

Pure VFM 7 seater. Good you went for MT. Dry clutch DCT is an issue if you encounter lot of jams. The transmission does get heated. That's why the Wet clutch DCA introduced by Tata in Altroz is an excellent option for Indian conditions. 

Btw Torque Converter is the most reliable Automatic transmission. That SA is talking crap as TC transmission goes on and on. As quick as DCT but without any heating issues or breaking down troubles like a DSG. CVT is reliable too but due to rubber band effect not as good to drive enthusiastically. 

Edited by harsh1387
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Luxury Plus Diesel MT. 6 seater. Didn't go for AT as DCT requires more maintainence, I've heard of heating issues in other DCT cars. Plus MT gives a sense of control of power delivery to engine. 

I really loved the TC Petrol but TC engines don't have a long life (SA said about 120KMs, so I'm guessing the real number is around 100k KMs).  NA is just dependable. 

Diesel has a lag at lower RPMs, but gets a life of it's own beyond 2000 RPM. 

Also, the 3rd gear is awesome. Can go as low as 700 rpm, and cruises at 15-20 kmph, and still says fine till 65 kmph, 1600 rpm. It sort of starts giving up after that. But 2000 on 4th gear, and we are talking FUN ! 

Overall, great for sedate city ride, and good for highway too. I just wish it had better pick up from standstill. 

TC Petrol is :punk:. Quite literally a noiseless cabin, and very less if any lag. Fun to drive. 

I should add that very surprisingly, Diesel MT also had virtually noiseless cabin. Great job at insulation by Kia. Only thing we were hearing were the fans at about level 3, with CC on. 

Ventilated seats keep the bum cool. 

Comfortable space at 2nd and 3rd rows. Spacious cabin. Good sized windows. 

Crazy man! 

Pre pandemic, companies were offering discounts, price protection. Now customers are begging for the cars to just get delivered as early as possible. 

Great to hear man! Many congratulations once again :cheers:

However every diesel you're getting in the market is TC and not NA due to the nature of diesel, so maybe your salesman must be trying to divert you from the Petrol version from some reason.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, harsh1387 said:

Great choice. 

Pure VFM 7 seater. Good you went for MT. Dry clutch DCT is an issue if you encounter lot of jams. The transmission does get heated. That's why the Wet clutch DCA introduced by Tata in Altroz is an excellent option for Indian conditions. 

Btw Torque Converter is the most reliable Automatic transmission. That SA is talking crap as TC transmission goes on and on. As quick as DCT but without any heating issues or breaking down troubles like a DSG. CVT is reliable too but due to rubber band effect not as good to drive enthusiastically. 

Went for captain seats instead of bench. Bit more comfortable. 

TC is good, but I'm not a fan of AT in general. Driving is a bit more sedate vs manual. And the engine is already sedate from standstill. 

3 minutes ago, abhi90 said:

Great to hear man! Many congratulations once again :cheers:

However every diesel you're getting in the market is TC and not NA due to the nature of diesel, so maybe your salesman must be trying to divert you from the Petrol version from some reason.

I know, I know. Diesel MT has the lowest waiting times tbh. Petrol is selling quite well and wait times are over 6 months for MT. Plus I'm hoping diesel will give a better mileage vs TC Petrol. 

Peeps, the SA just called and said they have been alloted a different color of the same variant I'm looking for without any booking. He said it's leaving the factory today, and they'll get it within a week - I can the paperwork for loan etc during this time in case I want this color, and I can sign the papers post PDI. 

Seems sus ? Normal ? Buying a car after 15 years, and I'm not updated with current practices. 

What things I should look for ?

14 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Peeps, the SA just called and said they have been alloted a different color of the same variant I'm looking for without any booking. He said it's leaving the factory today, and they'll get it within a week - I can the paperwork for loan etc during this time in case I want this color, and I can sign the papers post PDI. 

Seems sus ? Normal ? Buying a car after 15 years, and I'm not updated with current practices. 

Doesn't seem sus to me. Probably someone cancelled at the last minute.

Happened to my friend as well.

All you need to verify is if it's being registered for the first time and check for any usage signs as sometimes these guys sell unregistered demo cars.

Like check the media centre to see if it has any paired devices, scratches, tires etc etc.

But I am not sure if you should compromise on the color because you will keep the car atleast for 5+ years, I assume.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Doesn't seem sus to me. Probably someone cancelled at the last minute.

Happened to my friend as well.

All you need to verify is if it's being registered for the first time and check for any usage signs as sometimes these guys sell unregistered demo cars.

Like check the media centre to see if it has any paired devices, scratches, tires etc etc.

But I am not sure if you should compromise on the color because you will keep the car atleast for 5+ years, I assume.

I'm ok with the new colour. They're offering Blue, my choice was red. Blue was second. Grey was 3rd. 

1 hour ago, harsh1387 said:

Great choice. 

Is this specific to Kia or in general?

Like Jeep Compass has DCT in Petrol, will it have issues as well?

7 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I'm ok with the new colour. They're offering Blue, my choice was red. Blue was second. Grey was 3rd. 

Bhai red mat lo. Or do you mean maroon?

I have a red polo at home and I regret that bright, piece of sunflare everyday.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Bhai red mat lo. Or do you mean maroon?

I have a red polo at home and I regret that bright, piece of sunflare everyday.

It's metallic red, more akin to maroon IRL. It's muted, not bright. 

But looks like blue is on the card. 

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

It's metallic red, more akin to maroon IRL. It's muted, not bright. 

But looks like blue is on the card. 

Yes blue > red and less waiting too. Go on!

6 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Is this specific to Kia or in general?

Like Jeep Compass has DCT in Petrol, will it have issues as well?

It's an issue for all dry clutch DCT(which is every DCT car in India barring Altroz now). CVT and TC are the safest bet cos DSG have high failure rates. 

7 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Ask for VIN, decode manufacturing date if it is march, you are good.

Regarding DSG it’s fantastic, TC is good but no where as much fun, yes it is prone to failure, take maximum extended warranty, I have kept some money aside if it fails now since warranty is over. If an option I will buy DSG every time. This is VW group DSG I am talking about though, I have not driven the Dsg from other manufacturers and not sure how they are tuned:

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Ask for VIN, decode manufacturing date if it is march, you are good.

Regarding DSG it’s fantastic, TC is good but no where as much fun, yes it is prone to failure, take maximum extended warranty, I have kept some money aside if it fails now since warranty is over. If an option I will buy DSG every time. This is VW group DSG I am talking about though, I have not driven the Dsg from other manufacturers and not sure how they are tuned:

VW DSG cars are fantastic. The recent 1.5 DSG Kushaq/Taigun put a smile on my face when I did a test drive. Brilliant engine and gearbox combo. 

6 minutes ago, SuperT said:

VW DSG cars are fantastic. The recent 1.5 DSG Kushaq/Taigun put a smile on my face when I did a test drive. Brilliant engine and gearbox combo. 

Ya I am gonna drive the virtus once it is out, the car looks fantastic and has the same gear combo, not to forget the mod potential. The gearbox and engine can be easily tuned to get almost 20-30% more power.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtheK said:

Ya I am gonna drive the virtus once it is out, the car looks fantastic and has the same gear combo, not to forget the mod potential. The gearbox and engine can be easily tuned to get almost 20-30% more power.

Can you elaborate about mod potential?

I didn't know about Virtus and having driven a VW car, I was expecting a downgrade as I didn't like Taigun and its bland interior but Virtus looks good with enough features + better media centre.

If this drives well then I might just consider this. Although VW's service is not that great when it comes to spare parts, they phased out our Polo's brake sensor and now at the age of 8 years, can't get it fixed.