The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

1 hour ago, harsh1387 said:

Don't get both.

Alcazar is underpowered and not worth the price. 

Safari has niggles and the touchscreen in both Harrier and Safari isn't good enough.

Among 6/7 seater Kia Caren is the best bet. Even if you have to wait for couple of months. XUV700 is another good option but waiting period is too high. 

Mg hector is a good option as well though I am not sure how good is it's drive so do a TD before making your mind. 

Xuv700 has a waiting of over a year.

My father requires car immediately for daily use. Sold creta and he is using my polo gt which gives ridiculous low mileage of 6-7 in city.

7 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Is Alcazar using the same Diesel engine as Carens ? I think Alcazar is 2000 cc ?

If your run is not high, try the turbo Petrol variant. It's f**king amazing. Super silent, and great pick ups. There is minor lag in 2nd gear, but both Diesel and Petrol have really long 3rd gear for city drives (~15-80 kmph). 

Alcazar petrol uses 2000cc engine.

Diesel comes with same 1.5 engine of creta/seltos/carens heck my 2016 model creta was 1.6 engine.

Coming to carens it feels underpowered at lower rpms compare to creta you need to downshift a gear to get some extra power. felt like driving a  i20 engine then creta 

6 hours ago, SuperT said:

I had always driven Japanese/Korean cars in the past but having tried the Germans/Czech, all the Korean cars feel underpowered and lack the brilliant driving feel that the Germans excel at. The Germans/Czech have their own cons but man - they always put a smile on my face. 

6 hours ago, b!T said:

Pretty much my experience as well. Korean cars excel in the feature department but not so much when it comes to drivability, 

How's the long term cost for Skodas and VWs? I heard that their maintenence and parts are expensive compared to others, and pan India coverage (like smaller shops) isn't there. This still true? 

5 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

How's the long term cost for Skodas and VWs? I heard that their maintenence and parts are expensive compared to others, and pan India coverage (like smaller shops) isn't there. This still true? 

I am not sure about Skoda but it used to be true for VW. But over the last 2-3 years the situation has changed drastically.

No problems with getting Polo/Vento serviced from 3rd party centers and parts availability is quite decent as well.

Also, VW part charges aren't that exorbitant as they used to be, even from official centres you will be looted only on labour and consumables (wipers etc). Parts like clutch, throttle body are quite reasonable.

Just waiting for Virtus reviews, hoping the infotainment is good and might just get that.

Edited by KunjanPSD
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

It was the case till about 5-6 yrs ago but they have improved. Also, they offer upfront service packages now and you can extend the warranty to 6 yrs. Obviously can't be compared to the no nonsense Toyota and Honda ownership. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Both are better now. Skoda has improved a lot atleast here in Kerala. VW service is still higher than the likes of Hyundai/Toyota or Maruti. But parts are easily available.

23 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

The reason I'm not taking the test drive for the new Skoda sedan is my worry that I'll end up liking it and get more confused. :fear1:

My view is a bit dated because I haven't driven the new Octavia or Slavia but from my experience, nothing comes close to VW's driving experience unless you go for another German car.

Extended warranty and upfront AMC are good options, official service will be expensive but upto par or just a smidge higher at 3rd party shops. Check GoMechanic for ball park figures.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ΨΨ babloos ΨΨ said:

Xuv700 has a waiting of over a year.

My father requires car immediately for daily use. Sold creta and he is using my polo gt which gives ridiculous low mileage of 6-7 in city.

6-7 in city?? Get your car checked for clogged air filter or fuel filter, Vento nwith same 1.2 TSI engine bloody gives me 10 - 11 on normal days and sometimes 9-10 in very bad traffic. 6-7 probably I will get if I keep it in sport mode and above 4000 RPM in city :P

I Sa Slavia the other day, it really looked handsome from outside. Virtus might better it. 

7 hours ago, AtheK said:

6-7 in city?? Get your car checked for clogged air filter or fuel filter, Vento nwith same 1.2 TSI engine bloody gives me 10 - 11 on normal days and sometimes 9-10 in very bad traffic. 6-7 probably I will get if I keep it in sport mode and above 4000 RPM in city :P

I Sa Slavia the other day, it really looked handsome from outside. Virtus might better it. 

My father's office route is generally less then 5km with heavy bumper traffic. 10-11km is a good figure for any petrol vehicle in a Bangalore traffic.

15 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:

The reason I'm not taking the test drive for the new Skoda sedan is my worry that I'll end up liking it and get more confused. :fear1:

Honestly, Slavia and Virtus are the best sedan options right now under 20 lakhs. There aren't many options in this segment and these two are the best ones. If you like them just pay for the service packages upfront and take 6 yrs warranty for peace of mind. 

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Long range EV ? :wOOtjumpy:

I think it will take another 4-5 yrs for EV Infra to be ready for long trips in India. I recently went for a long road trip (1k kms) and everywhere I asked there was no charging points/chargers available for EVs. Also, most of the EV charging points in the city are used by people to park their cars :wallbash: 

I have seen it multiple times at prominent places in Delhi - CP, Lajpat Nagar etc. Right now it is a great option for people who want to use it as a daily city car and can charge at home. But hats off to Tata for taking the EV lead in India. Maruti needs to watch out.

Edited by SuperT

The more I wait for new car launches, the more EVs make sense.
We hardly drive more than 20km on any day, which is suitable for Petrol usage too but EVs are tempting.

Can charge it once a week and be done with it, charging infra. at home won’t be possible though.

Hoping that we some from VW and gang too otherwise maybe I will give Petrol one last drive before riding it off in the sunset.

We hardly drive more than 20km on any day, which is suitable for Petrol usage too but EVs are tempting.

Can charge it once a week and be done with it, charging infra. at home won’t be possible though.

Hoping that we some from VW and gang too otherwise maybe I will give Petrol one last drive before riding it off in the sunset.

47 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Honestly, Slavia and Virtus are the best sedan options right now under 20 lakhs. There aren't many options in this segment and these two are the best ones. If you like them just pay for the service packages upfront and take 6 yrs warranty for peace of mind. 

I might take a test drive at least for the Slavia. Since this'll be my first car, I'm leaning towards brands that are more hassle free like Honda. :cheers:

3 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

I might take a test drive at least for the Slavia. Since this'll be my first car, I'm leaning towards brands that are more hassle free like Honda. :cheers:

Bro, wait and test drive both Slavia and Virtus. It will be relatively hassle free. Honda's infotainment will literally make you break the screen.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, SuperT said:

I think it will take another 4-5 yrs for EV Infra to be ready for long trips in India. I recently went for a long road trip (1k kms) and everywhere I asked there was no charging points/chargers available for EVs. Also, most of the EV charging points in the city are used by people to park their cars :wallbash: 

I have seen it multiple times at prominent places in Delhi - CP, Lajpat Nagar etc. Right now it is a great option for people who want to use it as a daily city car and can charge at home. But hats off to Tata for taking the EV lead in India. Maruti needs to watch out.

Infra is better down south (Bangalore Mysore belt has a number of charging points) as compared to North. 

One of the reasons I went for Carens is I'll likely be selling it off in 7-8 years (NCR's diesel ban for 10 year old vehicles), and by that time, EV infra would have matured. Too many hassles and planning needed right for now for outside city or even emergency trips with EVs. Good as a secondary in city vehicle. 

13 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Honestly, it's gonna take 5-8 years for tech and infra to mature in India. 

• Like 1