The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

On 5/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, b!T said:

Pretty much my experience as well. Korean cars excel in the feature department but not so much when it comes to drivability, 

KIA is literally the sportier version of hyundai. 

If we didn't have Jeep Compass in India, Seltos 1.4 Ltr Petrol would be the number 1 in ride, handling and fun to drive in its segment in India. It is a gem of an engine. 1.3 ltr 156 BHP engine in now discontinued Duster was great too. 

Edited by Bhpian Bali
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bhpian Bali said:

KIA is literally the sportier version of hyundai. 

If we didn't have Jeep Compass in India, Seltos 1.4 Ltr Petrol would be the number 1 in ride, handling and fun to drive in its segment in India. It is a gem of an engine. 1.3 ltr 156 BHP engine in now discontinued Duster was great too. 

1.5 TSi says hi! 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 7:34 PM, Bhpian Bali said:

VW and Skoda are a joke in India. The kinda models they launched previously i used to think that they are here to launder money. How can a MNC be so dumb otherwise?

Doesn't take away from the fact that their cars are brilliant to drive and much better than the Koreans in this particular aspect. That and safety as well. The 1.5 TSI and DSG combo is :wub: 

They are also getting better with after sales support. Many of my frnds/relatives have had hassle free experiences in the recent past. They were horrible 6-7 yrs ago. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

How about the cost of after sales? Did they take the extended warranties? 

Always take extended warranty. No matter which company you go for I think EW is a must. My cozn took the service pakage as well so I can't comment as he paid upfront. Once the package finishes in 4 yrs that's when the true cost of ownership can be determined if one plans to keep the car for a very long term.  

On 5/7/2022 at 7:34 PM, Bhpian Bali said:

VW and Skoda are a joke in India. The kinda models they launched previously i used to think that they are here to launder money. How can a MNC be so dumb otherwise?

There management might have mistakes earlier, but they have improved considerably, that 1.5 tsi engine is brilliant to drive. Cars atleast till now have been safe unlike Kia Seltos which scored 3 in safety rating. Yes Hyundai/Kia have tons of features, but they are more like jack of all trades, master of none.

you can definitely call seltos a better package then kushaq or taigun, but no way are they the best driving cars in compared to the other two.

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 2

Looking to change the car, range is around the 10L mark.

Not familiar with the car market, whats good?

Want regular family car. We are only 3 people, my dad will drive (he's not a flashy driver) and he's not home like 1/3rd of the year so it won't get daily use.

We like small road trips however. Space, comfort, AC is the priority. 

So I finally managed to buy my first car. Feels great and a bit relaxing knowing that one of the goals is done. Nothing flashy as some of you discussed over last few pages. Its Nexon XZA+ (o) Dark Edition. Now I want to know a few accessories you guys would suggest for a first time owner. I'm deliberating over the Dashcam since Bangalore drivers are crazy. What other quality of life upgrades you will suggest?

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

So I finally managed to buy my first car. Feels great and a bit relaxing knowing that one of the goals is done. Nothing flashy as some of you discussed over last few pages. Its Nexon XZA+ (o) Dark Edition. Now I want to know a few accessories you guys would suggest for a first time owner. I'm deliberating over the Dashcam since Bangalore drivers are crazy. What other quality of life upgrades you will suggest?

Congrats bro.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AtheK said:

There management might have mistakes earlier, but they have improved considerably, that 1.5 tsi engine is brilliant to drive. Cars atleast till now have been safe unlike Kia Seltos which scored 3 in safety rating. Yes Hyundai/Kia have tons of features, but they are more like jack of all trades, master of none.

you can definitely call seltos a better package then kushaq or taigun, but no way are they the best driving cars in compared to the other two.

All I am trying to tell is that while Kia and Hyundai share parts, Kia is tuned for better ride and handling than hyundai cars. In India specifically Seltos offers a complete package it is loaded with features and the suspension setup is such that it is a great car to drive as we.

It has taken them time to reach here but do a side by side test ride of Seltos 1.4 and Taigun. The Taigun will obviously feel solid but seltos won't be a softy either. 

I have a 1.5 l na seltos but when I test rode seltos before booking I got to drive 1.4l and i was blown away. 

European cars are by default very good in ride and handling. I see everyone pointing out safety issues associated with Kia and Hyundais but never see a corresponding sales increase in safer cars in India. Even on team bhp. They are a group of hypocrites. Raining cretas and seltos on tbhp as well. 

That said I hate hyundai as a brand. I never buy their cars I just fell for seltos and I guess it will remain as the only purchase in Hyundai family. I dont like any other car from their line up. 

Edited by Bhpian Bali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are buying a new car and zeroed in on Alcazar. This was due to the features offered and the higher seating (for my parents) compared to the Verna we have. I got the VIN number but its only 11 characters instead of the 19 mentioned on tbhp forums. Can someone check the manufacturing details please? @AtheK

1 minute ago, R a g h u said:

We are buying a new car and zeroed in on Alcazar. This was due to the features offered and the higher seating (for my parents) compared to the Verna we have. I got the VIN number but its only 11 characters instead of the 19 mentioned on tbhp forums. Can someone check the manufacturing details please? @AtheK

Use VPN and register/access https://service.hyundai-motor.com/euro5/login.tiles (unavailable for India). 

Edit: Share the VIN here too. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

On 5/9/2022 at 5:02 PM, North said:

Looking to change the car, range is around the 10L mark.

Not familiar with the car market, whats good?

Want regular family car. We are only 3 people, my dad will drive (he's not a flashy driver) and he's not home like 1/3rd of the year so it won't get daily use.

We like small road trips however. Space, comfort, AC is the priority. 

I recently visited Toyota. Glanza g variant is priced at 9.5-9.6 lakhs on-road depending on your location. This includes extended warranty for 5 years and accessories worth 13k. 

The car looks gorgeous imo. Plus it offers 6 airbags. Backseat space is decent. The only essential feature missing is auto folding orvm. Also, sun-roof and armrest in backseat is missing. 

11 minutes ago, TheGothamChampion said:

I recently visited Toyota. Glanza g variant is priced at 9.5-9.6 lakhs on-road depending on your location. This includes extended warranty for 5 years and accessories worth 13k. 

The car looks gorgeous imo. Plus it offers 6 airbags. Backseat space is decent. The only essential feature missing is auto folding orvm. Also, sun-roof and armrest in backseat is missing. 

We don't have sunroof currently either so probably not something we'll miss and we never use backseat arm rest. 

I'm very about Toyota though. The maintenance costs would be much higher compared to Maruti, Hyundai, Honda I assume?

Plus we'd like to stick to the Sedan/mini-SUV variants. Looking at City 4th gen, Ciaz, Venue, Sonet, Dzire. any others to consider, and any opinions?

Also anyone knows out of Maruti, Hyundai Honda which is better in terms of maintenance costs, easy repairability, replacement parts etc? 

Edited by North

30 minutes ago, North said:

We don't have sunroof currently either so probably not something we'll miss and we never use backseat arm rest. 

I'm very about Toyota though. The maintenance costs would be much higher compared to Maruti, Hyundai, Honda I assume?

Plus we'd like to stick to the Sedan/mini-SUV variants. Looking at City 4th gen, Ciaz, Venue, Sonet, Dzire. any others to consider, and any opinions?

Also anyone knows out of Maruti, Hyundai Honda which is better in terms of maintenance costs, easy repairability, replacement parts etc? 

Maintenance cost for glanza is pretty reasonable. 

Honda city will be most reliable and will offer highest level of comfort among these cars. 

Venue and Sonet are mostly similar though Sonet looks better and it also offers extra airbags and safety features in lower variants. 

Ciaz is good for it's price but interior isn't as good as city. Dzire has really bad build quality so it's a big no no.

1 hour ago, TheGothamChampion said:

Maintenance cost for glanza is pretty reasonable. 

Honda city will be most reliable and will offer highest level of comfort among these cars. 

Venue and Sonet are mostly similar though Sonet looks better and it also offers extra airbags and safety features in lower variants. 

Ciaz is good for it's price but interior isn't as good as city. Dzire has really bad build quality so it's a big no no.

Okay I get you. Other features like a touch screen infotainment system, Apple Car Play, parking cameras etc I assume are all available across the board right?

Gonna be going with a Manual, Petrol option.  Any others to consider in this range?

My current car is giving a lot of trouble so looking to get this done in another 10-12 days at best.

Anything else when purchasing a car? Doing all this basic research, and I guess test drive it and should be good to go? 

37 minutes ago, North said:

My current car is giving a lot of trouble so looking to get this done in another 10-12 days at best.

I'm in the same boat as you :wallbash:. My 2010 Figo is giving a lot of trouble and parts are hard to find. 

Glanza/baleno only offer 1 engine option. If you want something more punchy, look for turbo engines in i20/sonet. 

I've decided to stay away from tata due to shady after sales support. 

Do take a look at Scross, Xuv 300, Taigun and Kushaq if you can stretch your budget. 

Where in Baleno/Glanza are brilliant VFM cars (we have baleno Alpha), the driving pleasure is just not there. The rubber band effect is too much, it's only for sedate drivers.