The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

3 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Im using Baleno for the last 6-7 months and i like it . Quite spacious and feature loaded. Nexa is good w.r.t maintainence. Look wise I liked it best in hatchbacks. 

yup, I also like it better than i20 look wise.

have you driven it on highways?? How does it hold up? 

9 hours ago, hsk_colossus said:

Hi, I am looking to buy a new car.. I  have narrowed it down to either i20 or  baleno...

some are saying baleno is lightweight? Not good for highways ?? Is this true ? 

which car would you guys recommend?? 
Car would mostly be used for driving in the city with occasional inter city travel..

previously I used to drive mostly swift and sometimes Vento...

My dad has a baleno, and that is the last car i want to be in while on highway. It's awesome for city, but we never take it to highway, the build quality just does not give the confidence.

Look at altroz also.

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AtheK said:

My dad has a baleno, and that is the last car i want to be in while on highway. It's awesome for city, but we never take it to highway, the build quality just does not give the confidence.

Look at altroz also.

Second that , check out altroz also . You can wait for turbo variant which is launching on 12 this month . 5 star NCAP rating is cherry on top.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Look at altroz also.

6 minutes ago, papun1055 said:

Second that , check out altroz also . You can wait for turbo variant which is launching on 12 this month . 5 star NCAP rating is cherry on top.

Thanks ?.. will check out Altroz first !!

6 minutes ago, papun1055 said:

Looks kick a*s in Blue

image.png

Leaked variant build up

tata-altroz-front-view0.jpeg

For the features part, the turbo trims will be benefitted with a gloss black sunroof and dedicated driving modes – City and Sport. The inside could see the inclusion of a light grey colour interior and two additional tweeters for the stereo system. Other features like the ambient lighting, connected car features, leather upholstery, auto projector headlamps, rear ac vents, and a seven-inch digital instrument cluster will be a part and parcel of the Altroz.

The new turbo petrol drivetrain will be the 1.2-litre petrol motor with a capable output of 110bhp and 150Nm torque coupled with a five-speed manual and a DCT gearbox. We reckon Tata will introduce the turbo variant in the Altroz in the coming weeks and could price it Rs 40,000 to Rs 60,000 over the naturally aspirated 1.2-litre petrol model. 

• Like 1

I have a baleno and i have used it on highways a lot  and I have never found it lacking in any aspect. Baleno has the best backseat space. Imho baleno is already very old now. 

Altroz is definitely a safer option and infact Tatas have finally found their USP in car safety. With a lot more Tata cars on road the service quality too has to keep up. 

I wouldnt recommend a hyundai car if you drive on highways a lot apart from the new creta. Hyundai cars have the lightest steering wheels and what teambhpians call a boat like ride quality. Their high speed manners are not so confidence inspiring. 

There is Nissan Magnite to consider as well or Renault Kiger. 

• Like 2

I'm also considering to buy a new car. I need to buy it by Feb end. 

I'm looking at Hyundai Venue (1.0 Petrol DCT) in the compact SUV segment, and Ciaz (Alpha AT) in the sedan segment. 

Any other recommendations/advice? I need to get a car in that price range, haven't decided yet. Both my dad and I will drive the car. Our current car is a Dzire, its manual, and I have never been in the driver's seat, only my dad. But I'm of driving age now.

Car will be used within the city, but we also like to take road trips every alt. month or so (say Corbett, Sariska, Dehradun, Jaipur, Nainital, etc) as I'm from Delhi. 

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I'm also considering to buy a new car. I need to buy it by Feb end. 

I'm looking at Hyundai Venue (1.0 Petrol DCT) in the compact SUV segment, and Ciaz (Alpha AT) in the sedan segment. 

Any other recommendations/advice? I need to get a car in that price range, haven't decided yet. Both my dad and I will drive the car. Our current car is a Dzire, its manual, and I have never been in the driver's seat, only my dad. But I'm of driving age now.

Car will be used within the city, but we also like to take road trips every alt. month or so (say Corbett, Sariska, Dehradun, Jaipur, Nainital, etc) as I'm from Delhi. 

In that range, i would suggest New Honda City in sedans as far as petrol is concerned. Excellent car.

For sub 4m suvs, Sonnet, XUV 300, and Nexon are also good choices. 

27 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

In that range, i would suggest New Honda City in sedans as far as petrol is concerned. Excellent car.

For sub 4m suvs, Sonnet, XUV 300, and Nexon are also good choices. 

The backseat on the Sonet seems too small. The reviews say so, and it looks that way in videos I've seen. I saw a comparison video from Autocar India, Venue vs. Sonet, and the Venue came out to be better for me.

Not a huge fan of Mahindra, but I'll have a look into the Nexon.

As far as the sedans go, The Honda City is more expensive over the Ciaz, by a good margin, but I'll check it out. My whole society is filled to the brim with this car, old or new, so I'm a little hesitant about buying the same car as all my friends. Plus my dad had a complaint that the base of the Honda city is too low?

Not sure if that's any different on the latest model. I also assume maintenance cost for Honda will be more than Maruti and Hyundai, which is what we've stuck to all these years. 

I assume even the petrol has multiple variants? 

Edited by Chirag2001

10 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

The backseat on the Sonet seems too small. The reviews say so, and it looks that way in videos I've seen. I saw a comparison video from Autocar India, Venue vs. Sonet, and the Venue came out to be better for me.

Not a huge fan of Mahindra, but I'll have a look into the Nexon.

As far as the sedans go, The Honda City is more expensive over the Ciaz, by a good margin, but I'll check it out. My whole society is filled to the brim with this car, old or new, so I'm a little hesitant about buying the same car as all my friends. Plus my dad had a complaint that the base of the Honda city is too low?

Not sure if that's any different on the latest model. I also assume maintenance cost for Honda will be more than Maruti and Hyundai, which is what we've stuck to all these years. 

I assume even the petrol has multiple variants? 

While the new City is definitely more expensive, but i feel it is definitely worth it. It is better in build quality, engine, interiors, and overall driving dynamics. Previous to previous generation City did have low GC but the new one is decent enough and you won't face any issues. This is coming from experience. In terms of maintenance cost, Honda would cost you the same as Maruti and Hyundai. It anything, Hyundai could actually be more expensive.

I would suggest you to go and at least give the newer model a look. I loved it straight away and dropped my plans of buying Seltos and went for it.

Edited by Sach4life
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

While the new City is definitely more expensive, but i feel it is definitely worth it. It is better in build quality, engine, interiors, and overall driving dynamics. Previous to previous generation City did have low GC but the new one is decent enough and you won't face any issues. This is coming from experience. In terms of maintenance cost, Honda would cost you the same as Maruti and Hyundai. It anything, Hyundai could actually be more expensive.

I would suggest you to go and at least give the newer model a look. I loved it straight away and dropped my plans of buying Seltos and went for it.

That's quite an argument in favour of the new City. I get to pick the car since I have an active interest, and my parents are busy with work, but since I'm the kid here and they're gonna be the ones spending the money, it'll take some convincing haha

Will get them to at least have a look at the car and see things for themselves. My mom is just in the mood for the sub 4m SUV hype right now, but lets see. I personally like the City a lot as well.

Thanks a lot, will ask again if I need any more advice :) 

13 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

That's quite an argument in favour of the new City. I get to pick the car since I have an active interest, and my parents are busy with work, but since I'm the kid here and they're gonna be the ones spending the money, it'll take some convincing haha

Will get them to at least have a look at the car and see things for themselves. My mom is just in the mood for the sub 4m SUV hype right now, but lets see. I personally like the City a lot as well.

Thanks a lot, will ask again if I need any more advice :) 

Why don't you look at Verna also, it's a pretty smart car with lots of features. Ciaz has now been in market for too long, its a nice spacious car, but a dud to drive.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, hsk_colossus said:

Hi, I am looking to buy a new car.. I  have narrowed it down to either i20 or  baleno...

some are saying baleno is lightweight? Not good for highways ?? Is this true ? 

which car would you guys recommend?? 
Car would mostly be used for driving in the city with occasional inter city travel..

previously I used to drive mostly swift and sometimes Vento...

I drive an elite i20 and its awesome on the highway.  I gave up on buying baleno mainly because of the low weight.  As a rough rule, any car that posts great mileage is light weight and you get that floating sensation on the highway.   i20 has an attractive dashboard and if you compare it feature by feature, when i bought it around 3.5 years ago, it offered the most features for the price point.  The customer service is also great and the service center actually cares a lot about your feedback.  Its also pretty easy to find service centers in tier 2 towns and cities as well.

Having said that, I would say elite i20 is expensive to maintain (costs me like 7-8k with the most minimum service), the car while is pleasant to drive, feels a bit underpowered at times (I think the diesel variant is better in this regard).  Also, not sure if they've a automatic model now, but at the time I bought it , i20 didn't have an auto option (which I feel helps a lot in city driving).

If you've the budget, look at verna, that was like my preferred car initially, but looking at the bangalore traffic and the fact that I would be driving long distances mostly on vacation trips (which happen at-most of 2-3 times a year) I decided to save some money and go for elite i20 instead.  

Edited by Ne0
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AtheK said:

Why don't you look at Verna also, it's a pretty smart car with lots of features. Ciaz has now been in market for too long, its a nice spacious car, but a dud to drive.

I looked at a lot of reviews and most of them call out Honda City being the 'best' and Ciaz being the most 'value for money'. The other cars in the comparison were the Verna, the Yaris, the Vento. I think Verna has also been in the market for quite some time too. What do you mean dud to drive though? I've recently turned 18, but I've been in the backseat a bunch of times and its great in that sense. Haven't been in the driver's seat so don't know much there. But afaik, Ciaz hasn't gotten a refresh in a while, but the City has, so thats a factor.

I'm looking into the sedans, but the fam is only looking at the Venue for whatever reason. It looks cramped in the back for me. And since I'm the one who's gonna be sitting there, I'm not a big fan of the idea. They really like it for some reason, but will discuss this at home.

Thanks for the input man.

Edited by Chirag2001

15 hours ago, Ne0 said:

I drive an elite i20 and its awesome on the highway.  I gave up on buying baleno mainly because of the low weight.  As a rough rule, any car that posts great mileage is light weight and you get that floating sensation on the highway.   i20 has an attractive dashboard and if you compare it feature by feature, when i bought it around 3.5 years ago, it offered the most features for the price point.  The customer service is also great and the service center actually cares a lot about your feedback.  Its also pretty easy to find service centers in tier 2 towns and cities as well.

Having said that, I would say elite i20 is expensive to maintain (costs me like 7-8k with the most minimum service), the car while is pleasant to drive, feels a bit underpowered at times (I think the diesel variant is better in this regard).  Also, not sure if they've a automatic model now, but at the time I bought it , i20 didn't have an auto option (which I feel helps a lot in city driving).

If you've the budget, look at verna, that was like my preferred car initially, but looking at the bangalore traffic and the fact that I would be driving long distances mostly on vacation trips (which happen at-most of 2-3 times a year) I decided to save some money and go for elite i20 instead.  

I am Looking for a hatchback as I already have Vento but need a smaller car for city driving..

I like the i20 but The new i20 is also priced a lot higher than baleno...

how do you find the space inside i20 as compared to baleno???

as suggested here, will take a rest drive of altroz first before making a decision now...