What You Bought This Week - 2022 Edition

Ne0

On 12/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

a) Go to Comic Con

b) Realise you are nearly a 40-year old uncle in a sea of 20-somethings in the entire comic con

c) Get awkward and run for a safe nostalgic space to find other uncles

d) The space turns out to be Raj Comic booths with both Sanjay and Manish ji chatting and signing copies

e) Spend buttloads of money on nostalgia and childhood fantasy

f) Profit ??

vDyqoej.jpg

gGVJQtd.jpg

5kDSrD9.jpg

oIzJ0e1.jpg

MVwSwCo.jpg

4YG9Sim.jpg

nEy9Lsn.jpg

feJqKCO.jpg

FX8PiKN.jpg

wlCJWtR.jpg

What's good to see is the old Raj Comics are not just thriving, but with the English translations, the have opened up worlds for new readers (most are still the nostalgia kids though). I do find the compilations confusing, with overlapping stories etc, and the cost is mind boggling expensive for what use to be 7 INR for a paperback, and 15/20 INR for "digests" back in the heydays. 

The stickers etc are decently done, but the binding of these CEs need work - major work. They don't seem strong to me, and the boxes look good, but "feel" cheap. 

Anyway, picked up Naagayan CE, with tons of extra stuff, Khajana and Dracula series (some of their best works), Rajnagar ki Tabahi (one of the first Indian comics to mix video games and superheroes) and a bunch of newly written stuff - ofcourse all in Hindi since I just can't read these awesomeness in any other language. I also like what they have done with the limited editions, with embossed lettering etc. 

Sad to see both the Guptas go their own way - many stories are published by both camps, and it is MEGA CONFUSING what is included in which collected editions. They just made reading a childhood comic 100x more difficult. 

f**k man. This is such a nostalgia trip. Amazing purchases. Rajnagar Ki Tabahi is one of my fav that I read cover to cover atleast half dozen times. Now I feel like buying some of these collectors editions myself. Are they available online or only in store?

On 12/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, san_Assassin said:

Nagraj aur Super Commando Dhruv, Nagraj aur Bugaku, Kirigi Ka Kahar, Maine Mara Dhruv Ko, Chumba ka Chakravyuh, Doctor Virus, Khazana series - all were superhits at that time. Nagraj aur Bugaku still holds the record of max number of copies sold in RC history till date. I still got whole collection of Dhruv and Nagraj, and some of Fighter Toads, Bhokal, Parmanu, Doga, Bhediya, Pret Uncle but hardly get any time to read them.

Reason why Nagaraj has become so confusing is that there are 3 versions of him now - vishwarakshak, atankharta, narak nashak. 

btw sorry for all the OTs.  i think we should have a separate thread for RC fans :bigyellowgrin::bigyellowgrin:

I was so gutted when they took the ichchadhaari power from nagraj in one of those comics. It was such a cool power. Now they have made it very convoluted indeed. Stories were very simple and effective back then. Their multistarer comics were the rage before anyone in India ever heard of Avengers and probably why Avengers was such a massive success as a movie since a lot of us 90s kids were kinds reliving those multistarer comics and having a suedo experience via avengers. 

38 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

f**k man. This is such a nostalgia trip. Amazing purchases. Rajnagar Ki Tabahi is one of my fav that I read cover to cover atleast half dozen times. Now I feel like buying some of these collectors editions myself. Are they available online or only in store?

Online mostly. Comicshaveli and comicsadda. Also Amazon and Flipkart. 

I haven't seen them offline except comic con. 

2 hours ago, ZooZoo said:

I was so gutted when they took the ichchadhaari power from nagraj in one of those comics. It was such a cool power. Now they have made it very convoluted indeed. Stories were very simple and effective back then. Their multistarer comics were the rage before anyone in India ever heard of Avengers and probably why Avengers was such a massive success as a movie since a lot of us 90s kids were kinds reliving those multistarer comics and having a suedo experience via avengers. 

Collecting comics since 4th grade in 90s, and DC was bigger than Marvel back in those days. Can’t say about most but a lot of us were well aware of Avengers and all back in 90s. Whenever I would visit Connaught Place, I used to get the good ones. Lot of people used to buy those. That and Archies.

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Final comics and Lego run before holidays are over in a few days :cry:

0pYWLTy.jpg

INBidlR.jpg

TF7pYXF.jpg

UO68Vo1.jpg

How do you feel about this new design of Nagraj? I preferred the one they had during Surama, pralay, Rajnagar ki tabahi days. Naya wala design looks a bit feminine  

12 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

How do you feel about this new design of Nagraj? I preferred the one they had during Surama, pralay, Rajnagar ki tabahi days. Naya wala design looks a bit feminine  

Effect of Kpop and anime. I also prefer the old artwork and design. Also, lots of language issues and sexist overtones in current comics - seem tone-deaf in 2022 vs 1990s

On 12/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

a) Go to Comic Con

b) Realise you are nearly a 40-year old uncle in a sea of 20-somethings in the entire comic con

c) Get awkward and run for a safe nostalgic space to find other uncles

d) The space turns out to be Raj Comic booths with both Sanjay and Manish ji chatting and signing copies

e) Spend buttloads of money on nostalgia and childhood fantasy

f) Profit ??

vDyqoej.jpg

gGVJQtd.jpg

5kDSrD9.jpg

oIzJ0e1.jpg

MVwSwCo.jpg

4YG9Sim.jpg

nEy9Lsn.jpg

feJqKCO.jpg

FX8PiKN.jpg

wlCJWtR.jpg

What's good to see is the old Raj Comics are not just thriving, but with the English translations, the have opened up worlds for new readers (most are still the nostalgia kids though). I do find the compilations confusing, with overlapping stories etc, and the cost is mind boggling expensive for what use to be 7 INR for a paperback, and 15/20 INR for "digests" back in the heydays. 

The stickers etc are decently done, but the binding of these CEs need work - major work. They don't seem strong to me, and the boxes look good, but "feel" cheap. 

Anyway, picked up Naagayan CE, with tons of extra stuff, Khajana and Dracula series (some of their best works), Rajnagar ki Tabahi (one of the first Indian comics to mix video games and superheroes) and a bunch of newly written stuff - ofcourse all in Hindi since I just can't read these awesomeness in any other language. I also like what they have done with the limited editions, with embossed lettering etc. 

Sad to see both the Guptas go their own way - many stories are published by both camps, and it is MEGA CONFUSING what is included in which collected editions. They just made reading a childhood comic 100x more difficult. 

covers look sick although i have never heard about them , its the first time i seen these. India had its own comics?

PS. only been to comic con twice, just go there to click pics with hot grils cosplayers

On 12/31/2022 at 4:19 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Final comics and Lego run before holidays are over in a few days :cry:

0pYWLTy.jpg

INBidlR.jpg

TF7pYXF.jpg

SOme of these are on Kindle Unlimited also, actually Unlimited has loads of raj comics, I just did a search and Nag pralay was there.

Though the best way to read these are the printed material!