Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard

12 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Sony started charging for unlocking frame rates,

That’s a lie. 

Charge was only when native port was introduced. 

GoT

Days Gone

R&C

Hirizon ZD

GoW

were all free

& it’s not even remotely close to even compare to what M$ tried to do (but failed) during XBone launch. 

Edited by AnK
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Lol. Max percentage of CoD sales, actual sales, come from the PS ecosystem. How would they  earn if they block it out. WHy did they launch Psychonauts 2 on the ps4???

Hasn't this been discussed like a million times on the forums? For someone who posts a sh*t ton, you don't read posts quite as much, do you?

16 minutes ago, Right said:

70$ a copy model won't survive for long. It had great run.

Netflix has actually pushed the quality of movies/TVs.

:rofl: 

Goodluck finding Avengers or Spider-Man quality movies direct to subscription. 

Even in the face of an apocalyptic event,big production houses just sat on their ready to release movies instead of bringing them direct to homes.

That tells something. 

Edited by AnK

15 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Arre aapne bhi fookna shuru ? :lol:

Everybody's commenting without realising the history, background, culture and demographics of both Sony and Nintendo (deal has had no effect on Nintendo's stock - it rose by nearly 5% in the last 5 days). 

Even sega had a history look where it is now ,nintendo has no cloud infrastructure as it is . You really think people will buy the switch or whatever comes next rather than play games on their mobile phones? 

Games through cloud and services is where everything will eventually end up so the traditional gaming as you know wont last for long.

4 minutes ago, AnK said:

:rofl: 

Goodluck finding Avengers or Spider-Man quality movies direct to subscription. 

Both the movies are blown-up visual spectacles.  In terms of quality, there are a crazy good stuff that got released direct on subscription. 

3 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Both the movies are blown-up visual spectacles.  In terms of quality, there are a crazy good stuff that got released direct on subscription. 

Ok just tell me why 007 No time To Die just waited on release for almost two years for the pandemic to get over?!

why didn’t they just give up & release on subscriptions or even digital for that matter?!? 

The maths doesn’t work as of yet. 
plain & simple. 

& if it’s not working for movies even at this stage…..just imagine how much longer road it is for AAA games. 

Edited by AnK

13 minutes ago, AnK said:

That’s a lie. 

Charge was only when native port was introduced. 

GoT

Days Gone

R&C

Hirizon ZD

GoW

were all free

& it’s not even remotely close to even compare to what M$ tried to do (but failed) during XBone launch. 

Again you get all defensive and start defending Sony… won’t even admit Sony is doing the same when they are in dominant position…

people are so scared of increased gamepass prices in future but didn’t bat an eyelid when Ģặmể prices increased to 70$...

7 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

While a lot of NF content is a*s, one of my favourite movies - Irishman and my second favourite show - Bojack Horseman are Netflix productions. 

2 minutes ago, AnK said:

Ok just tell me why 007 No time To Die just waited on release for almost two years for the pandemic to get over?!

why didn’t they just give up & release on subscriptions or even digital for that matter?!? 

The maths doesn’t work as of yet. 
plain & simple. 

& if it’s not working for movies even at this stage…..just imagine how much longer road it is for AAA games. 

Hollywood is governed by some pretentious sh*t AFAIK. You have directors "Whose vision can only come true in theaters", and elitists "Art Guys" voting in the Academy Awards who say things like "Only Theater movies can be eligible for Oscars". A lot of pretentious people. Your examples are also more of the same.

But frankly, at the rate the World is going - you are going to have even the high budget stuff in OTTs soon enough. Remember, it's the producer that puts up the money, not the director. The examples you listed - they were Producers humoring the directors at the beginning of the pandemic (And I don't think they even made much money out of it).

Now that Theaters are closed most of the time, OTT Culture has come in and either the major producer/production house has their own OTT platform or get huge similar amounts of money from OTTs like Netflix - you might see them come day+date on OTTs. Many big budget movies have gone this route already. Others have a very minimal gap between release (Look at entire Marvel catalogue on Hotstar/Disney+ for example - Used to be years before movies came to OTT, now it's something like 21 days-2 months)

At this rate, theaters are going to be more of a novelty than anything else.

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Arre aapne bhi fookna shuru ? :lol:

Everybody's commenting without realising the history, background, culture and demographics of both Sony and Nintendo (deal has had no effect on Nintendo's stock - it rose by nearly 5% in the last 5 days). 

You are not getting the larger picture here. 
The point is not that PS can’t exist without COD. 

It did so quite well & efficiently during PS2 era. 

The point is yesterday it was Bathesda,today it was Acti-Bliz & tmrw it might be EA or Ubi. 

If all third parties start getting acquired & all their content are blocked for a single ecosystem be it XB,Luna or Stafia or Meta then what will Sony & Nintendo do just with their handful of IPs & Studios?!? 

The market is getting way bigger with bigger players investing large to block content for themselves. 
(instead of creating themselves through either first or third party studios like what Sony & Nintendo historically did) 

There is no end to it going forth till the mega Giants of the Cloud have their own war. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

Even sega had a history look where it is now ,nintendo has no cloud infrastructure as it is . You really think people will buy the switch or whatever comes next rather than play games on their mobile phones? 

Games through cloud and services is where everything will eventually end up so the traditional gaming as you know wont last for long.

carl-billmurray.gif

Give me that sh*t bro 

This is like NFT bros trying to convince people on twitter that NFT and blockchains are the future, and hard currency will be dead soon :rofl: 

• Haha 5

Everyone starts getting an existential crisis whenever something big like this happens :lol:

Relax, the industry won't completely flip on its head because of acquisitions like these. The industry is getting bigger and there is room for all business models for the foreseeable future.

Spoiler

And then we'll all live happily ever after in the metaverse

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Again you get all defensive and start defending Sony… won’t even admit Sony is doing the same when they are in dominant position…

people are so scared of increased gamepass prices in future but didn’t bat an eyelid when Ģặmể prices increased to 70$...

First & Foremost Sony was not alone on increasing the price from $60 to $70. 
It was a consortium which had Acti,EA,2K & others in it. 

Just like almost two decades ago it was increased from $50 to $60….

in reference you can go & check the inflation on other media prices like movie tickets & music cost in the gap of last 2 decades.

You’ll be surprised to know that on a percentage level games price has no where near inflated as others. 

Secondly charging $10 for a native port upgrade is not really something that is an “increase” rather it is a “decrease” as earlier gen (M$ included) everyone used to charge full price. 

& thirdly these references & examples are moot & dud & no where near to what M$ tried to pull off when it was in position of power. 
They f**ckin tried to put an unwanted camera device in your living/bedroom & wanted full control of your physically owned media. 

If you think I’m being irrational here then yeah..lol

fanboy glasses suit you well. 

Edited by AnK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Lol Netflix quality movies are dumpster fire, especially the sci-fi stuff. In fact, I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a Netflix produced movie. Maybe Trial of Chicago or Don't Look Up.

@AnK

I think the trendy sci-fi movie genre (which is basially with Superheroes) itself is dumpster fire, Avengers and Marvel movies are just visual spectacles. 

For me the quality is defined by good ol' Dramas, and the fact is Netflix produced Irishman with budget of $160m, tells you that where their priorities are.

$400-500m budget Superhero movies are out of reach for netflix at the moment, but it is not for monies but for studios and licences.

And they have platform, not every thing will be A+ stuff.

Nolan is making crappy Sci-fis like Tenet and moviegoers come home hiding buyer's remorse and pretending like if some next level sh*t they watched.

But an average content wouldn't even get 10mins of watch time on OTT, so quality bar remain at same level or go high.

22 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Dirt cheap subscription models wont last forever as well. SPecially after these big dollar purchases. Wont be surprised if they launch some titles exclusive to gamepass with an expensive subscription plan for new subs.

Subscription would work for a while but real money is made from FreeToPlay (micro transactions).

The problem with Console audience and developers is that they haven't adopted the F2P well.

Like I said COD mobile is making $500m, and they dont need a new SKU every year, yet every 2 months game offers something newer.

How this can be brought in meaningfully in long campaig-ish games is the conundrum which noone has solved yet. 

Wow..... the acquisition really ticked off PS fanboys it seems. 

Only reason I can see for them to get ticked off is that they are UNABLE to have options to enjoy the games irrespective of platforms. I don't see any other reason why they are not happy because more games on GP seems like a great value. 

ALSO, if you are UNHAPPY with subscription based model, microsoft also sell the games in contemporary way.... Steam, Epic Games, Gamepass, XBOX physical and online. So when you have these options, why focusing your arguments on one time buy vs sub base model. Kharidlo physical ya digtal platform mein. Kisne mana kiya?

Get a friggin xbox or PC along with your PS ffs. If you cant do that, accept your bubble and move on. Stop giving retarded BS about Gamepass games doesn't have quality. Stop giving twitter justification and opinion. 

24 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

My man, if 1 gaming company can say F**k off to MS despite all these acquisitions - it's Nintendo.

Nintendo has some of the most valuable IPs in the World period. IPs that compete not with small fry like CoD or GTA, but with giants like Harry Potter etc. Even non-gamers know of Nintendo IPs, that's how big they are.

They are also not dependent on 3rd party games. If every single 3rd party games leaves Nintendo tomorrow - it literally won't affect them much, if at all. Almost 100% of Nintendo's Game sales are their own 1st party stuff. Nobody buys Nintendo to play CoD or even the Sports titles.

Not to mention, in the West, most of the people start their gaming journey with Nintendo. If anything, MS needs Nintendo, not the other way around.

This is not the case with Sony. If Sports titles (And CoD in US, since I think the most popular shooter in rest of World is PUBG or CS) - they will be hurt badly. For Nintendo, it will not affect much at all.

• Like 2

Just now, Right said:

@AnK

I think the trendy sci-fi movie genre (which is basially with Superheroes) itself is dumpster fire, Avengers and Marvel movies are just visual spectacles. 

For me the quality is defined by good ol' Dramas, and the fact is Netflix produced Irishman with budget of $160m, tells you that where their priorities are.

$400-500m budget Superhero movies are out of reach for netflix at the moment, but it is not for monies but for studios and licences.

I know Irishman gets brought up a lot, but Netflix made like 500+ movies. And every time people talk about quality, its always Irishman. Its like the only movie they ever made :lol: 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Right said:

Subscription would work for a while but real money is made from FreeToPlay (micro transactions).

The problem with Console audience and developers is that they haven't adopted the F2P well.

Like I said COD mobile is making $500m, and they dont need a new SKU every year, yet every 2 months game offers something newer.

But not everyone wants this one dimensional future with PvP lootboxes mtx et al. 

What about big standalone SP aaa blockbuster titles. 

With complex hardware, game dev takes time and money. If they don't increase the prices (based on inflation over the years), such experiences would cease to exist. Gaming as an "artform" would die a slow death. 

Edited by radicaldude

2 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

I know Irishman gets brought up a lot, but Netflix made like 500+ movies. And every time people talk about quality, its always Irishman. Its like the only movie they ever made :lol: 

Because Irishman has Scorsese behind it.

Anyway, don't know why you guys are acting like Netflix is the only OTT out there. Netflix is far better as a licensor than as a producer. But almost every production house has it's own OTT these days (Or are in a pipe-line to launch). Big budget movies will come there.

Not to mention - TV shows are also there. Many times better quality than movies. These days, they are also competing on the CG and Budget expenditure with movies (Look at Wheel of Time for example, though that show was quite bad).