Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard

Just now, Joe Cool said:

Most AAA/exclusives don't even reach what mobile games make. 

Yes but that is a totally different demographic & audiences. 

I wouldn’t enjoy or look upto those games as much as they won’t enjoy GoW or Destiny. 

37 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

Doesn't make sense.

Activision doesn't need funding etc, that MS can provide. It can do everything on its own.

Just a management change apparently.

It makes sense. COD, candy crush and WoW/Overwatch are massive in terms of sales and players. As for management change, Microsoft can do it better. 

18 minutes ago, AnK said:

This has got nothing to do with console wars as we know it or have known it. 

That is long over & behind it seems. 

M$ is building an ecosystem to take on Facebook  & it’s rumoured Metaverse it seems….along with Amazon,Google maybe. 

All will try & make everyone engaged in their ecosystem. 

Ank smart hogaya good. Keep it up

Here's my totally outlandish prediction. MS will make acti blizz games exclusive to GP at some point and arm twist Sony into carrying GP on psn. Again, totally outlandish and could turn out to be completely false. 

8 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Shows a sense of desperation IMHO. Even after buying out Bethesda- I mean they should have focussed on building franchises from the ground up. Not buying out established companies. 

Reminds me of ps2 era where publishers were putting out one game after the other on the system. The difference was that they were doing it by choice. 

Now spencer is just on a buying spree to block access. I guess he's more focussed on what PS should not be getting. 

Maya Rudolph Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

Copied from Reddit comment:

"Sony won the battles but MS just bought the War. "

Still the outcome of this acquisition from financial perspective and if MS bet payed off or not can only be seen in a decade.   

Just now, AnK said:

Good that I haven’t upgraded to Next Gen yet. 

Will buy whatever is making more sense as I keep playing backlog. 

The gen will end by the time you finish. New games keep piling up in the current gen. 

Honest gamer to gamer advice. Just forget the backlog and jump on the train. It's not worth missing out on games like Returnal, gotg for old mediocre games. 

Huge news, but a very dangerous one. Satya Nadella is flexing the Windows/Office money hard and going all in. But this is very bad news for competition. MS is going the way Disney went in the movie industry. At this rate, we will reach a situation where MS represents almost all of American Gaming (Some minor "independent" studios allowed to exist for Anti-trust laws), Nintendo doing it's own stuff and Sony retreating to minor Japanese games (If that) or exiting the industry altogether.

SE/SEGA/Namco-Bandai etc. will do some releases and go ahead with their lives because their actual major earnings is from gambling anyway. In other words - MS monopoly, which is very bad.

Note, the entire thing is a long haul bet in favor of Cloud. If Sony exits the industry and Cloud somehow fails - well all of us are stuck with Nintendo and/or mobile devs from that point on. I don't think any company that exits an industry will come back to it again.

37 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

actually a good deal for Playstation gamers. This will keep sony from getting too arrogant and push them harder so we will get better games while those struggling studios get cash to stay afloat and we dont lose out on IPs . A win win for gamers.

It's actually very bad. CoD is one of the pillars of the industry. All that's left is EA (or more specifically FIFA/Sports Licences). If MS acquires EA or gets the Sports Licences, then it's GGWP for the entire industry. Rockstar is very small compared to all those combined. CoD sells on brand-name alone, no matter how the quality of the game is - that's how big it is. The only thing bigger will be Tencent, against which MS cannot compete anyway because it's funded by the mammoth Chinese Economy.

That said though, Activision deserved to be acquired. They need some major accountability. Employees are suffering there. WoW is dying because of Acti-Blizz's incompetence. For quite a long time, it was a private club for it's "Elite Top-level management". It was sorely needed.

This is just my opinion on the matter.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Here's my totally outlandish prediction. MS will make acti blizz games exclusive to GP at some point and arm twist Sony into carrying GP on psn. Again, totally outlandish and could turn out to be completely false. 

If CoD games are exclusive to GP, I don't think they can keep making those expensive af campaigns with realism. 

CoD will lean towards online-only if this is to happen.  

3 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

I don't think all Activision games would suddenly become exclusives. For instance crash bandicoot, originally a naughty dog title. 

Activision now fully owns the franchise??? I'm not aware of the technicalities. 

Not till the deal is finalised ,so i think we will get an announcement next year of exclusivity for some games and then some more the following.

i expect every game to be exclusive and GP  app on every TV.

2 minutes ago, Vamos said:

If CoD games are exclusive to GP, I don't think they can keep making those expensive af campaigns with realism. 

CoD will lean towards online-only if this is to happen.  

MS will take it case by case. 

5 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Huge news, but a very dangerous one. Satya Nadella is flexing the Windows/Office money hard and going all in. But this is very bad news for competition. MS is going the way Disney went in the movie industry. At this rate, we will reach a situation where MS represents almost all of American Gaming (Some minor "independent" studios allowed to exist for Anti-trust laws), Nintendo doing it's own stuff and Sony retreating to minor Japanese games (If that) or exiting the industry. SE/SEGA/Namco-Bandai etc. will do some minor releases and go ahead with their lives because their actual major earnings is from gambling anyway. In other words - MS monopoly, which is very bad.

Note, the entire thing is a long haul bet in favor of Cloud. If Sony exits the industry and Cloud somehow fails - well all of us are stuck with Nintendo and/or mobile devs from that point on. I don't think any company that exits an industry will come back to it again.

It's actually very bad. CoD is one of the pillars of the industry. All that's left is EA (or more specifically FIFA/Sports Licences). If MS acquires EA or gets the Sports Licences, then it's GGWP for the entire industry. Rockstar is very small compared to all those combined. CoD sells on brand-name alone, no matter how the quality of the game is - that's how big it is. The only thing bigger will be Tencent, against which MS cannot compete anyway because it's funded by the mammoth Chinese Economy.

That said though, Activision deserved to be acquired. They need some major accountability. Employees are suffering there. WoW is dying because of Acti-Blizz's incompetence. For quite a long time, it was a private club for it's "Elite Top-level management". It was sorely needed.

This is just my opinion on the matter.

bro nothing of what you wrote matters. You know they say competition is good, you know what’s even better???… No Competition.

This deal has nothing to do with wanting devs to support Gamepass.  They already have plenty. This was done to remove any choice a buyer has on which platform to buy a game on.

It’s to starve Sony/PlayStation out of the market so simply can’t compete with the money  MS has.

• Like 3