Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard

13 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

The gen will end by the time you finish. New games keep piling up in the current gen. 

Honest gamer to gamer advice. Just forget the backlog and jump on the train. It's not worth missing out on games like Returnal, gotg for old mediocre games. 

Only thing I'm missing out on is online multi-player games.

But I wouldn't have been able to play mp anyway.

Rest won't change whenever I pick them up.

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

bro nothing of what you wrote matters. You know they say competition is good, you know what’s even better???… No Competition.

This deal has nothing to do with wanting devs to support Gamepass.  They already have plenty. This was done to remove any choice a buyer has on which platform to buy a game on.

It’s to starve Sony/PlayStation out of the market so simply can’t compete with the money  MS has.

I know that. But it doesn't change the fact that it's not good for gamers. Think of either the death of Sony IPs (or incompetent devs developing them). Think of X360s RRoD Days, but with MS being the only player in the industry. Think what happens if the Cloud technology fails and MS's investment goes the way of Windows Phones/Nokia Acquisition. The entire AAA gaming industry is pretty much finished at that point (Other than Trusty old Nintendo).

What you say is absolutely correct. Doesn't mean it's good for us or we have to like it.

Edited by roun90

21 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Huge news, but a very dangerous one. Satya Nadella is flexing the Windows/Office money hard and going all in. But this is very bad news for competition. MS is going the way Disney went in the movie industry. At this rate, we will reach a situation where MS represents almost all of American Gaming (Some minor "independent" studios allowed to exist for Anti-trust laws), Nintendo doing it's own stuff and Sony retreating to minor Japanese games (If that) or exiting the industry altogether.

SE/SEGA/Namco-Bandai etc. will do some releases and go ahead with their lives because their actual major earnings is from gambling anyway. In other words - MS monopoly, which is very bad.

Note, the entire thing is a long haul bet in favor of Cloud. If Sony exits the industry and Cloud somehow fails - well all of us are stuck with Nintendo and/or mobile devs from that point on. I don't think any company that exits an industry will come back to it again.

It's actually very bad. CoD is one of the pillars of the industry. All that's left is EA (or more specifically FIFA/Sports Licences). If MS acquires EA or gets the Sports Licences, then it's GGWP for the entire industry. Rockstar is very small compared to all those combined. CoD sells on brand-name alone, no matter how the quality of the game is - that's how big it is. The only thing bigger will be Tencent, against which MS cannot compete anyway because it's funded by the mammoth Chinese Economy.

That said though, Activision deserved to be acquired. They need some major accountability. Employees are suffering there. WoW is dying because of Acti-Blizz's incompetence. For quite a long time, it was a private club for it's "Elite Top-level management". It was sorely needed.

This is just my opinion on the matter.

What nonsense 

Ignore lol

• Haha 2

This is bad.

There was no concept of paid online multiplayer before microsoft.

And remember that Microsoft already raised the price of 6 months gold to $60 from 12 months for the same price. They retracted it, but they did it.

"For the gamers": Its all PR. Gamepass is going to be at least $30 a month in 3-4 years time. And, there would be no more retail games. I am pretty sure that most people don't buy or play $360 worth of games in a year. Moreover, you don't own anything.

The concept of Don Matrick of online Xbox games with no ownership is coming true. He couldn't execute it. Now, it is coming true. Netflix for Xbox is coming for your ownership of your games. No more used games.

This is really bad for the gaming industry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

It'll come back to bite spencer someday. When you start acquiring companies randomly. 

What nonsense !

You think a company spending close to 70 billion USD on a deal won't have thought it through ? 

It's clear Nadella is nurturing a team open to taking risks and bets, which is much different than what was done previously. 

And MS is also open to fund games like Psychonauts 2, which means they are also open to experimental stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, AnK said:

Only thing I'm missing out on is online multi-player games.

But I wouldn't have been able to play mp anyway.

Rest won't change whenever I pick them up.

Yeah but then there'll be even newer games to play and you'll be looking at a backlog all over again. 

3 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

What nonsense !

You think a company spending close to 70 billion USD on a deal won't have thought it through ? 

It's clear Nadella is nurturing a team open to taking risks and bets, which is much different than what was done previously. 

And MS is also open to fund games like Psychonauts 2, which means they are also open to experimental stuff

6 minutes ago, codwapeace said:

This is bad.

There was no concept of paid online multiplayer before microsoft.

And remember that Microsoft already raised the price of 6 months gold to $60 from 12 months for the same price. They retracted it, but they did it.

"For the gamers": Its all PR. Gamepass is going to be at least $30 a month in 3-4 years time. And, there would be no more retail games. I am pretty sure that most people don't buy or play $360 worth of games in a year. Moreover, you don't own anything.

The concept of Don Matrick of online Xbox games with no ownership is coming true. He couldn't execute it. Now, it is coming true. Netflix for Xbox is coming for your ownership of your games. No more used games.

This is really bad for the gaming industry.

Monopolisation is never good. They are spending billions and they would have to recoup the costs somehow/from somewhere. 

Psychonauts 2 was in development before they got acquired. MS didn't shut the game down. They allowed it to continue. However, i still feel they have treated the game as a AA title for a myriad of reasons. 

I would wait for more similar experimental stuff from xbox stables, before making that comment. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Here's my totally outlandish prediction. MS will make acti blizz games exclusive to GP at some point and arm twist Sony into carrying GP on psn. Again, totally outlandish and could turn out to be completely false. 

i agree to this too 

3 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Monopolisation is never good. They are spending billions and they would have to recoup the costs somehow/from somewhere. 

Psychonauts 2 was in development before they got acquired. MS didn't shut the game down. They allowed it to continue. However, i still feel they have treated the game as a AA title for a myriad of reasons. 

I would wait for more similar experimental stuff from xbox stables, before making that comment. 

Lol if they didn't want experimental stuff why did they buy double fine? Their entire portfolio is literally only experimental stuff.