Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard

Just now, roun90 said:

I might be in the minority, but now I think I'm looking forward to Tencent releasing their own console.

Windows vs CCP - let's see who can outspend the other 

Let the Gaming World burn :rofl:

Would be nice to see but I don't think Tencent has interest in console market. They already have multiple gold mines, mobile market, and stakes in so many studios to bother with console money. 

3 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I might be in the minority, but now I think I'm looking forward to Tencent releasing their own console.

Your comments are pretty ill informed especially when CCP is actually cracking down on tech companies. 

5 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Well do they have to ??

Everyone own the platform already on which they release games and investing in a hardware development and production won't be on their list.. 

4 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Monopolisation is never good. They are spending billions and they would have to recoup the costs somehow/from somewhere. 

Psychonauts 2 was in development before they got acquired. MS didn't shut the game down. They allowed it to continue. However, i still feel they have treated the game as a AA title for a myriad of reasons. 

I would wait for more similar experimental stuff from xbox stables, before making that comment. 

But it's not a monopoly yet. You still have the 3 big players independent of each other, all with excellent system sellers. 

And let's give kudos where kudos is due - Psychonauts 2 would not been possible without MS's cash infusion. If you look at the history, the team was on the verge of cutting down boss levels etc to meet already extended timelines. MS literally came as a white knight (and yes, that's a business term), and gave them stability. 

I'm not well versed with game publishers, but the way MS is heading looks optimistic tbh. Yes, most likely everything will get tied to GP, but with 23 studios under it's table, they'll not have a dearth of genres (aka only shooter box). 

AFAIR, MS does have a good history of supporting indie/individual Dev's if it fits their modus operandi. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Your comments are pretty ill informed especially when CCP is actually cracking down on tech companies. 

Crackdown in what tense? Yes there is some censorship in videogames or whatever is bad for the youth or insult the CCP. overall CCP is encouraging the tech industry. 

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

But it's not a monopoly yet. You still have the 3 big players independent of each other, all with excellent system sellers. 

And let's give kudos where kudos is due - Psychonauts 2 would not been possible without MS's cash infusion. If you look at the history, the team was on the verge of cutting down boss levels etc to meet already extended timelines. MS literally came as a white knight (and yes, that's a business term), and gave them stability. 

I'm not well versed with game publishers, but the way MS is heading looks optimistic tbh. Yes, most likely everything will get tied to GP, but with 23 studios under it's table, they'll not have a dearth of genres (aka only shooter box). 

AFAIR, MS does have a good history of supporting indie/individual Dev's if it fits their modus operandi. 

We have already talked at length here, about psychonauts 2 being one of the greatest game(s), no one played. (Just check the completion rates/trophy acquisition of the game)

Now in gp, engagement matters. If that's the case, then studios would start making games to suit tastes of subscribers, thus impacting innovation. 

Though it's very early to say, i still feel random acquisitions are never good.

1 minute ago, Mysteryman said:

Crackdown in what tense? Yes there is some censorship in videogames or whatever is bad for the youth or insult the CCP. overall CCP is encouraging the tech industry. 

Crackdown in the sense that Papa Xi is out to face f**k tech companies. He's picking sectors one by one and showing them who's daddy. Just google China crackdown tech and you'll know. Check stock price of any Chinese tech company. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, roun90 said:

They don’t need to. They’re making billions in the mobile/MP space. Besides There is little profit in the console hardware and is more susceptible to fail for new entrants.  

8 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Makes me wonder, was this a smoke screen, a bail out.....?? 

A 70 billion USD conspiracy theory !? :lol:

Come on dude, any working person will know that's not how conglomerates work. 

I've been through 3 major M&As in my work tenure (infact we have been White Knighted once, saving from a dirty takeover), and these cultural issues will obviously take time to solve. 

Generally a lot of integration has to be completed, and it takes 6-12 months at the bare minimum to even plan and barely execute how to manage these acquisitions. Most cultural integrations take time - few months to even few years. 

That said, as long as the voice of employees is dominant on social media, MS cannot hide. Pretty sure their HR will cook a way out of these issues. But they'll most likely be stuck in a limbo - will Activision still help them before the acquisition is completed ? Will they have to wait post acquisition ? Most likely no one knows right now. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, codwapeace said:

This is bad.

There was no concept of paid online multiplayer before microsoft.

And remember that Microsoft already raised the price of 6 months gold to $60 from 12 months for the same price. They retracted it, but they did it.

"For the gamers": Its all PR. Gamepass is going to be at least $30 a month in 3-4 years time. And, there would be no more retail games. I am pretty sure that most people don't buy or play $360 worth of games in a year. Moreover, you don't own anything.

The concept of Don Matrick of online Xbox games with no ownership is coming true. He couldn't execute it. Now, it is coming true. Netflix for Xbox is coming for your ownership of your games. No more used games.

This is really bad for the gaming industry.

If they lock everything behind subscription,

which is usually always the end goal. 

Then yes….we need to keep it in mind where Xbox division is coming from. 
Paywall was their grand scheme from the get go,be it MP,apps or even physical games. 

But you also need to keep something in mind….that they aren’t doing hostile take overs of any sort,these companies were visibly in trouble & had reached a creative roadblock where they weren’t creating something new or groundbreaking. 

They willingly gave up business for a reason. 

Dead end is usually worth nothing & I’m sure if M$ takes their work more mainstream it would be better than having nothing in the future. 

42 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I know that. But it doesn't change the fact that it's not good for gamers. Think of either the death of Sony IPs (or incompetent devs developing them). Think of X360s RRoD Days, but with MS being the only player in the industry. Think what happens if the Cloud technology fails and MS's investment goes the way of Windows Phones/Nokia Acquisition. The entire AAA gaming industry is pretty much finished at that point (Other than Trusty old Nintendo).

What you say is absolutely correct. Doesn't mean it's good for us or we have to like it.

I dont think anyone here cares if it good for the gaming industry or not. They just want to play games for cheap, even if that means buying the competition out. If MS increases prices or does something stupid, thats a bridge they will cross when they get there. Read the comments here, that should tell you all you need to know

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

We have come a long way 

Ponies : xbox has no games

Now

Ponies xbox has monopoly 

:lol:

Still has no good games (since you think cod is sh*t):giggle:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

We have already talked at length here, about psychonauts 2 being one of the greatest game(s), no one played. (Just check the completion rates/trophy acquisition of the game)

Now in gp, engagement matters. If that's the case, then studios would start making games to suit tastes of subscribers, thus impacting innovation. 

Though it's very early to say, i still feel random acquisitions are never good.

It's not random acquisition. It's a specific acquisitions. They acquired one of the largest multiplayer focused game publisher and one the largest sp focused game publisher. How is it random? 

6 minutes ago, AnK said:

If they lock everything behind subscription,

which is usually always the end goal. 

Then yes….we need to keep it in mind where Xbox division is coming from. 
Paywall was their grand scheme from the get go,be it MP,apps or even physical games. 

But you also need to keep something in mind….that they aren’t doing hostile take overs of any sort,these companies were visibly in trouble & had reached a creative roadblock where they weren’t creating something new or groundbreaking. 

They willingly gave up business for a reason. 

Dead end is usually worth nothing & I’m sure if M$ takes their work more mainstream it would be better than having nothing in the future. 

I think I agree to this one. 

Activison Blizzard was visibly in trouble with all sorts. Now acquired by MS they might see the light of the day. 

Everything under one roof is never a good thing, wasn't with Sony and not with MS. 

Gamepass has showed a fantastic value for us and xbox

If the intension stays on track we'll have a great time else there'll be trouble. 

Now only Ubisoft, SquareEnix and EA are left as independent publishers and developers.