The Book Thread

Amay

Since I'm into fantasy for quite some time now (I do read other stuff), started reading The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes.

For once, its very simple. Usually when you start a fantasy series, it takes a good 100-200 pages to get your head around the lore of the world. 

Everybody who recommended this said "Its sort of like a YA Game of Thrones. Now I haven't read ASOIAF because its not complete yet, so hopped into this. Plus I like YA more. 

If you like that stuff, check this out. I'm about a 100 pages in.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:55 PM, Chirag2001 said:

Since I'm into fantasy for quite some time now (I do read other stuff), started reading The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes.

For once, its very simple. Usually when you start a fantasy series, it takes a good 100-200 pages to get your head around the lore of the world. 

Everybody who recommended this said "Its sort of like a YA Game of Thrones. Now I haven't read ASOIAF because its not complete yet, so hopped into this. Plus I like YA more. 

If you like that stuff, check this out. I'm about a 100 pages in.

Have downloaded it on the Kindle..will read it after finishing the current book..

1 hour ago, Madmage said:

Have downloaded it on the Kindle..will read it after finishing the current book..

Highly recommend it. I wrote that post two days ago right?

Well I ended up buying Book 2,3,4 on kindle and I'll probably finish Book 4 tonight.

Yes, its that good. Its really fast paced, and I was flying through this series honestly.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh I keep forgetting this thread exists. 

Reading Stalin Paradoxes of power. Its really fantastic in bursts. But it also drags down a lot in political minutiae too often. Halfway through. Would recommend if you find that time period interesting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after reading all of Sanderson's Cosmere books (did not read MB Era 2), I have now started with Skyward, his new sci-fi young adult series.

Starsight, book #2 came out late last year.

Not a big fan of sci-fi, but I'll read anything this man writes, and its great so far. 

Listening on audiobook while I walk/cycle in the evening. 

Once I get through these two, I plan on listening to Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo.

Spoiler

The instant SUNDAY TIMES and NEW YORK TIMES bestseller, and Goodreads Choice Award winner, that Stephen King calls 'Impossible to put down'.

The mesmerising adult debut from Leigh Bardugo. A tale of power, privilege, dark magic and murder set among the Ivy League elite.

Edited by Chirag2001

On 6/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, Chirag2001 said:

I have now started with Skyward, his new sci-fi young adult series.

Listening on audiobook 

Pretty good book. A little more than half way in, listening to an audiobook for the first time and its great. Wouldn't replace physical books, but a good alternative for multitasking :) 

Check this out, should address everything. 

@Ne0 Now I've not read Malazan Book of the Fallen myself, but since I read a lot of fantasy and discuss it, I know a bunch of people who have read it.

The video also says it (do watch it), but Book 1 is difficult and just throws you in there. Its easily the weakest in the series. But the stakes get higher with every book, and the plot gets better and better.

Steven Eriksen has constructed the most complex fantasy world, some of my friends calling it "The new Middle-earth", but the key is to not give up at Gardens of the Moon and keep reading.

Most Malazan fans will defend the series like anything. If you finish the series, it will probably make your top 3.

16 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Check this out, should address everything. 

@Ne0 Now I've not read Malazan Book of the Fallen myself, but since I read a lot of fantasy and discuss it, I know a bunch of people who have read it.

The video also says it (do watch it), but Book 1 is difficult and just throws you in there. Its easily the weakest in the series. But the stakes get higher with every book, and the plot gets better and better.

Steven Eriksen has constructed the most complex fantasy world, some of my friends calling it "The new Middle-earth", but the key is to not give up at Gardens of the Moon and keep reading.

Most Malazan fans will defend the series like anything. If you finish the series, it will probably make your top 3.

Thanks, do you've any other fantasy series suggestions ? Don't want too long stuff like wheel of time.

I haven't read Wheel of Time either. Only the first book. I'm gonna read the whole series later this year, will start again from Book 1.

If you haven't read Brandon Sanderson for some reason, easy recommendation. Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, Warbreaker. All are fantastic, a little long perhaps but its fantasy at the highest level.

Other than Sanderson's works,  will recommend-

• The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Just such a merry band of misfits. This one does the flashbacks-current events timeline switching though, in case you're not a fan of that. The trilogy is called the Gentlemen Bastards Sequence.
  • The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. The best bromance I've ever read, and its such a jolly good time. Pure entertainment. Also a trilogy.
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The best in Grim Dark. Also a trilogy, but there are more books connected to the plot.
  • The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes. If you like Game of Thrones, ask no more. Betrayals, murders, politics, plot twists and incest.  6 books. but short.
  • Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennet. Currently ongoing, Shorefall the sequel just came out.
  • The Prince of Fools Trilogy/Red Sister Trilogy by Mark Lawrence, but I haven't read this myself.

If you like traditional fantasy, I'd pick number 3, Riyria Revelations. Sadly Amazon does not have the paperbacks.

And my personal favourite, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Only book I'll rate better than Sanderson. Only 2 books out right now, but a third should be out soon, ending the trilogy (we've been waiting 7 years for this though)

Did not mention the obvious- Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire (will read once GRR gives me the next book)

Edited by Chirag2001
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 5:18 PM, Chirag2001 said:

Been watching Daniel Greene for a year or so now, and I absolutely love his videos! Anyway if anybody is looking for fantasy recs, this should be plenty :) 

@Ne0 I trust this guy for my all recs. But you can watch this one for more detail about his favourites. 

25 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I haven't read Wheel of Time either. Only the first book. I'm gonna read the whole series later this year, will start again from Book 1.

If you haven't read Brandon Sanderson for some reason, easy recommendation. Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, Warbreaker. All are fantastic, a little long perhaps but its fantasy at the highest level.

Other than Sanderson's works,  will recommend-

• The Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin. Won lots of awards, very well respected.
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Just such a merry band of misfits. This one does the flashbacks-current events timeline switching though, in case you're not a fan of that. The trilogy is called the Gentlemen Bastards Sequence.
  • The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. The best bromance I've ever read, and its such a jolly good time. Pure entertainment. Also a trilogy.
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The best in Grim Dark. Also a trilogy, but there are more books connected to the plot.
  • The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes. If you like Game of Thrones, ask no more. Betrayals, murders, politics, plot twists and incest.  6 books. but short.
  • Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennet. Currently ongoing, Shorefall the sequel just came out.
  • The Prince of Fools Trilogy/Red Sister Trilogy by Mark Lawrence, but I haven't read this myself.

If you like traditional fantasy, I'd pick number 3, Riyria Revelations. Sadly Amazon does not have the paperbacks.

And my personal favourite, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Only book I'll rate better than Sanderson. Only 2 books out right now, but a third should be out soon, ending the trilogy (we've been waiting 7 years for this though)

Did not mention the obvious- Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire (will read once GRR gives me the next book)

Thanks a lot dude, should last me for long time. I think I had read one of the books in the mistborn Saga.  Let me start with the kk chronicles, I would be reading on my Kindle, so if the Kindle edition is available, good enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, Ne0 said:

Thanks a lot dude, should last me for long time. I think I had read one of the books in the mistborn Saga.  Let me start with the kk chronicles, I would be reading on my Kindle, so if the Kindle edition is available, good enough for me.

Yes, of course its on kindle. Its one of the most popular books in this genre.

Did you get it and get reading, or did you decide on something else? 

Also, if you're ever inclined, Mistborn deserves another go. It easily one of the best complete trilogies out there. 

Edited by Chirag2001

Guys, need some recommendations in SciFi genre. I have read forever war series, old man's war series and really liked the world building though quite limited. Need some books similar to these.

I don't read much Sci fi, but recently read Skyward and Starsight by Brandon Sanderson.

He's my favourite fantasy author, and this was his sci fi debut. Fantastic character work. 

• Like 2

I don't read much Sci fi, but recently read Skyward and Starsight by Brandon Sanderson.
He's my favourite fantasy author, and this was his sci fi debut. Fantastic character work. 

Thanks dude, will check it out.
  • Like 1